Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Posting Pics

SacRiverRat

Tracie,

After my posting fiasco, I discovered that the cutoff on pic size seems a little low. Is there anyway to increase it? It is bumping out pics that I've resized down pretty small (though not sure exactly what the cutoff was)

Also might be nice to have the thumbnail be a bit bigger so it is more visually apealing when reading the threads

just my $.02 - and great work on the site, and keepin us focused (lots of misdirected energy)

Troy, the size seems to be down around 100k and 640x480. Pretty much the same as we had over on MBO. You can usually just reduce the image quality to around 80% on most pictures and get them well below the cut off.

Hey Troy,

What's the file size that you're trying to upload? I've checked & double checked & the only restriction is that file size, it can't be bigger than 100k (same as MBO was). I can't find a setting for the pixel size at all, so I have to assume that the file size is all that matters.

EDIT: Oh & I'll take a look at the thumbnails, I agree that they're a bit small.

Edited by WakeGirl

I had actually spoken with Jason at one point about taking the file size up to 110k because my photo software would show 1.0M as the size of a reduced photo and in all actuality it was 1.08M (108k) and MBO wouldn't allow it to upload. All I am able to see is 1.0. I wanted to pull my hair out. Anyway, I think he must have eventually done it because some of the photos that had once been rejected suddenly were acceptable. Just a thought. If you can do the increase you don't even need to announce it, just stick with the 100k story and that way there is a little leeway.

Yes - I know my reducing software was getting me through in the "large" mode... and when I tried to post it here, it bounced... which is why I suspected it was signifincatly different - guess I was just over the cutoff

Tracie - here is a message I'm getting tonight, when I try and select a smaller pic, after I get the first one bounced:

THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND

The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments.

not sure how to work around that- or what it means. I'm just trying to post one pic

There is no pixel-size limit, only file size. I do most attachments 800x600. Any larger and you have to compress them too much to get < 100k.

By the way, PaintShopPro is the best for getting an exact file size you want. When saving as jpg, it has an "optimize" button. It takes you to a little window that shows you in real-time how big the file-size will be when saved, with a slider letting you adjust compression amount on the fly.

Just move the slider until you're just < 100k, and viola', you have the best possible quality, while still staying < 100k for attachments.

I highly recommend a program called EZThumbs. It will take care of everyone's issues. I think there is a 640x480 pixel limit (and 100k) max size. If you use the EZThumbs software, you will have NO problems getting things to fit....

If anyone has any specific problems, feel free to PM me and ask for help!

JZ

No, there's no 640x480 limit. I've posted bigger than that here many times already. Just 100k limit per post, and it can be multiple pics adding up to 100k.

Boomer's got the right of it, pixel size doesn't matter here. ;) Also, I use Paint Shop Pro as well & I have to agree that there are some nifty tools there for this kind of thing. A poor man's Photoshop, but then again I don't need Photoshop.

I use a MS addin (picture resizer) which allows you simply to right click on the pic, and select "resize" - then gives you a choice of 4 sizes... my issue is they are only titled small medium large and ah.. something else (really small)

I don't generally look at the actual file size - which was my issue.. my pics are pretty big, and the medium resizes to ~100k, unfortunatly sometimes slightly larger :unsure: