Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vinyl stains from the boat cover

Ok, so I put the cover on the boat - properly - but it left some nasty purple and greenish stains on the white vinyl across the engine cover and along one side. I have tried all of my "normal" cleaning techniques, but have had no luck. This all happened in under a week. If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate the help. (already tried vinyl cleaner, saddle soap, diluted bleach solution, and scrubbed with dish soap and brush)

dude, i am sure of two things. One, nothin short term will take it out. Two, it will come out on its own in a year. Evry stain I ever had on that upolstry has come out. Spread some bleech soft scrub on it and leave it in the sun. Dealer told me that.

What kind and color is your boat cover? I think the stains will fade, but I would be torqued about it continuing to happen. . .

I'd say try Fantastik and/or Citrus Cleaner. However, looks like G&T no longer recommends the Fantastik. I have used both on the vinyl with no noticeable adverse affects.

This link may be worth looking at if you haven't seen it before.

EDIT: Oh, I should add also that my sister wore a bathing suit that marked my vinyl. I scrubbed it with all kinds of stuff. That made it slightly less noticeable, but didn't remove it. After being in the sun it faded and went away with time.

Edited by VinRLX
Ok, so I put the cover on the boat - properly - but it left some nasty purple and greenish stains on the white vinyl across the engine cover and along one side. I have tried all of my "normal" cleaning techniques, but have had no luck. This all happened in under a week. If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate the help. (already tried vinyl cleaner, saddle soap, diluted bleach solution, and scrubbed with dish soap and brush)

Try a little WD-40, my dealer told me about that one and it is amazing what it will take off. I have been using it on my vinyl for ten years.

Terry

i see you have an '06, is this the first time this has happened? If you just bought the cover, i would ask the supplier how they intend to rectify their problem and how long will it take them to make you a new cover.

in the meantime you are going to have to count on the damaging effects of the suns uv rays to clear it up.

I tried the magic eraser with no luck either. However, the WD-40 lightened it up and then leaving it in the sun has lightened it even more. Maybe one more day in the sun would be good. The boat is new to me, but originally came with the black cover - so I probably have no recourse there. Thanks for all the help!

I lay white towels down on the sun pad and then put my cover on. I was getting a brownish stain on the grey vinyl. (black factory cover)

I had those same stains. After deciding the vinyl had to be replaced, I broke out the heavy stuff for one more try. Pressure washer, soft scrub, and every cleaning chemical known to man. Scrubbed FOREVER. Nothing touched it. That was a 2004 with white/grey vinyl and a grey Malibu cover.

I lay white towels down on the sun pad and then put my cover on. I was getting a brownish stain on the grey vinyl. (black factory cover)

Probably a good plan - I am starting that habit now.