Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

do you trailer with wedge up or down?

ralong

Does it matter?

Better stated would have been "tow" instead of "trailer" Too much atari growing up

Edited by ralong

I have always towed with mine up on all of my Malibu's. I don't think it really matters, the wedge doesn't really bounce around.

Doesn't really matter, I leave mine up. The prop/prop guard would hit long before the wedge would.

thanks all

I tow with it in the down position.

This is just my logic.... If you leave the wedge in the up position while towing, the wedge arm is like long lever with a weight on the end. Every time you drive down a rough road the wedge is bouncing up and down on the pins. The pins are stainless steel and the wedge bracket is aluminum (I think); the bracket holes will eventually elongate and cause a loose fit.

When we get to the ramp, I just raise the wedge and install the rear plug.

I don't think it really matters either way. Just for the data point I usually put ours up on the old boat ('02 Sunsetter), but that was out of habit for wiping the boat down. I never noticed any unusual wear in the mounting plate holes after 6 years of that practice.

Now I did hear a story from our old dealer about a boat that was in a rear end accident while being towed. Apparently the wedge was basically pushed through the back of the hull, after that incident I think they usually recommended trailering with the wedge down.

Leave it to personal preference.

Doubt it matters. It may bounce a bit on the trailer but it also bounces when out on the lake..............

This is just my logic.... If you leave the wedge in the up position while towing, the wedge arm is like long lever with a weight on the end. Every time you drive down a rough road the wedge is bouncing up and down on the pins. The pins are stainless steel and the wedge bracket is aluminum (I think); the bracket holes will eventually elongate and cause a loose fit.

Too much work and too many things to remember for me. I don't think it makes much difference, but if it works for you - great. Actualy I'm pretty certain I wouldn't remember to put the wedge back up and then I would remember when we took off and I felt like the boat was performing sluggishly. Then I would feel stupid for not remembering, so better for my ego just to leave it up while trailering.

we tow with it down. Our sits so close to our teak platform that the platform actually has two marks on it from the wedge hitting it. I don't know if it was during trailering or during our on the water activities.

Too much work and too many things to remember for me. I don't think it makes much difference, but if it works for you - great. Actualy I'm pretty certain I wouldn't remember to put the wedge back up and then I would remember when we took off and I felt like the boat was performing sluggishly. Then I would feel stupid for not remembering, so better for my ego just to leave it up while trailering.

Funny, my logic exactly Plus1.gif

I have a difficult enough time remembering the 1 million other things I have to do.......this goes for the prop guard post I saw yesterday as well.

I remove mine completely and attach it to the roof of my truck where my limo/boomerang antenna used to be before someone stole it....so I can get good AM radio reception for the drive home. Biggrin.gif

I don't think that there's anything wrong with your logic, unless you apply it to a boat with a floating wedge. Then that sort of goes out the window. I would never, ever have towed that boat with the wedge down, it would have bounced all over the place.

we leave it up.. get better fuel economy that way, dont want all that extra down force... ;)Biggrin.gif

Nice. Biggrin.gif

I tow with it in the down position for two reasons.... 1) same logic as Woody 2) I never really put the wedge in the up position since as soon as I'm out of the no wake zone the bags are filled and its time to start boarding Thumbup.gif