Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Summerizing issues

2003 Sportster LX, 335 Monsoon engine.

Ok, took the boat out of storage, and doing some maintainence. Have replaced all spark plugs, cap, rotor, oil, trans fluid, impeller, prop, and trailer bearings. I have a new fuel filter, but cant find it in the floor. Do I need to remove the back seat to get to it, or am I missing it in the floor?? Also, I have a new ACME prop for it, but lost the key. Can I use a steel key in the shaft for the time until I get a new one from bakes? No inboard dealers within 100 miles or so. Is the steel one going to dig into my new prop?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.marinehardware.com/downloads/running_gear.pdf

Go to page 11 on the above link re: fit of propeller/key on shaft. I'd go with the steel key for the weekend.

As for the filter (subject to anyone who knows better for an 03) on 99 Response there are two. One on side of motor with threaded fittings and one in rear of boat near fuel shut off. I have to remove carpeted panel, the one that's vertially mounted and goes across width of trunk, to access the filter. The rear or primary one is the type with clamps for the fuel line. Note: If you do need to remove panel, an easy way to get the screws back into the holes the came out of is to insert finish nails into holes in carpeted panel, work them into holes in fiberglass. One by one, remove nail and replace with screw.

OK, I ordered the parts today. I found it cheaper to order a 4' section of the prop key, for less than they wanted for one key. If anyone needs a key I can cut it from the stock I bought.

OK, I ordered the parts today. I found it cheaper to order a 4' section of the prop key, for less than they wanted for one key. If anyone needs a key I can cut it from the stock I bought.

Is it 1/4" stock? I think that is what mine is. I have been looking for some myself. Maybe just buy it from you.

Take the vent cover off the topside of the stern with 4 screws. Then take out the screws that hold the housing for the blower fan. Now move that over to the starboard side and you will see the fuel filter. Two hose clamps and its easy from there. Like someone else said, re-locating it would be a good idea, I just have not done it yet. Once you know how to get to it, it really is not a big deal though.

Rushman, thanks. I found it while trying to take the back seat out. Sure made life easier. Boat should be ready to float once the prop is back on it.