Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Tedro

Dead Battery?

Recommended Posts

Tedro

Was getting my 08 vRide ready today and noticed the battery was dead. I have checked it multiple times throughout the winter and have even trickle charged it and it has never shown below 13 volts. I always keep the battery switch in the Off position.

I checked the battery and it was showing 0 volts but the key was off and the battery switch was Off.

My question is I have checked on the battery multiple times throughout the winter and have kept the battery switch to off and have even used a trickle charger to top it off with no problems. Today when I started charging the battery the radio screen and transom remote were lit while charging. Why?

I figured there should be no juice to these with the battery switch in the Off position. It is the factory stereo and no additions have been made.

Why would the battery be dead if my key was off and the battery switch was in the Off position when it was charged as recently as 4 weeks ago on a brand new battery.

Also why is there juice to the radio and transom remote (lighted backscreen only) while the battery switch in the off position?

Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bobby Light
Was getting my 08 vRide ready today and noticed the battery was dead. I have checked it multiple times throughout the winter and have even trickle charged it and it has never shown below 13 volts. I always keep the battery switch in the Off position.

I checked the battery and it was showing 0 volts but the key was off and the battery switch was Off.

My question is I have checked on the battery multiple times throughout the winter and have kept the battery switch to off and have even used a trickle charger to top it off with no problems. Today when I started charging the battery the radio screen and transom remote were lit while charging. Why?

I figured there should be no juice to these with the battery switch in the Off position. It is the factory stereo and no additions have been made.

Why would the battery be dead if my key was off and the battery switch was in the Off position when it was charged as recently as 4 weeks ago on a brand new battery.

Also why is there juice to the radio and transom remote (lighted backscreen only) while the battery switch in the off position?

Any ideas?

If it's the Nauitilus battery that came from the factory it's a freakin piece of crap. Mine didn't last 6 months when I got my last boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tedro
Was getting my 08 vRide ready today and noticed the battery was dead. I have checked it multiple times throughout the winter and have even trickle charged it and it has never shown below 13 volts. I always keep the battery switch in the Off position.

I checked the battery and it was showing 0 volts but the key was off and the battery switch was Off.

My question is I have checked on the battery multiple times throughout the winter and have kept the battery switch to off and have even used a trickle charger to top it off with no problems. Today when I started charging the battery the radio screen and transom remote were lit while charging. Why?

I figured there should be no juice to these with the battery switch in the Off position. It is the factory stereo and no additions have been made.

Why would the battery be dead if my key was off and the battery switch was in the Off position when it was charged as recently as 4 weeks ago on a brand new battery.

Also why is there juice to the radio and transom remote (lighted backscreen only) while the battery switch in the off position?

Any ideas?

If it's the Nauitilus battery that came from the factory it's a freakin piece of crap. Mine didn't last 6 months when I got my last boat.

I think that is the brand. I'll check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
electricjohn

You should put some load on a battery when you test it. Some lights, a blower, ect. A bad battery can/will show full voltage if tested under no load.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tedro
You should put some load on a battery when you test it. Some lights, a blower, ect. A bad battery can/will show full voltage if tested under no load.

I checked it is a Deca Marine battery.

Dealer said that sometimes the radio backlight can stay lit if it does not boot down even with the battery switch in the off position. They are going to cover the battery.

You all had this happen?

Edited by Tedro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
obski

I've had problems with my batteries from day 1. I've had one battery replaced and probably need to replace both of them again. I will be looking into getting a better solution to prevent this from happening. I keep a portable jumper in the boat, but I don't like not feeling confident in the ability to start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pistol Pete

I have Interstate batts. in all my vehicles and swear by them. Never had a problem. The boat even has a wet lead acid batt. I've heard good things about Deka but, no first hand experience w/them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tedro
I've had problems with my batteries from day 1. I've had one battery replaced and probably need to replace both of them again. I will be looking into getting a better solution to prevent this from happening. I keep a portable jumper in the boat, but I don't like not feeling confident in the ability to start.

My Malibu service manager called and said my problem with the Deca battery was unusual as they have had very few problems with that brand.

He said that the reason for the radio and transom remote backlit was the memory low voltage wire that keeps your battery memory and that the unusually low voltage could cause the electronics to act up a bit while I was charging, but still thought it unusual for the battery to be fine through the winter and then suddenly die. They will send it back to the manufacturer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×