Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How many different guests go with you on your boat ?

DONTW8

How many different guests go with you on your boat?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. How should expenses be split up with our guests ?

• Our friends tow our boat and we supply all the toys and fuel.
    • We don't expect our guests to help with expenses.
    • We'll accept gas money but don't ask.
    • I think our guests should help with costs because boats are expensive.
    • We never have guests due to scheduling.
    • We never have guests because they have poor boat etiquette.
    • We never have guests.
    • We tow our friends boat to the lake to make it easier on all of us.
  2. 2. How many tow their own boats and only take their own family ?

• We wish we had friends that could tow and launch our boat to add to the convenience.
    • We have friends that often go with us but we do the towing.
    • We have friends who have their own boat and we frequently meet them at the lake.
    • We tow our own boat and my wife drops my family into the lake.
    • We tow our own boat and I drop my wife/family in the lake.
    • Why tow ? I live on a lake, dude.
    • If my buddy would buy a good truck we would boat with them every available chance.
    • We never have guests .
    • We have friends that tow our boat to the lake.

What I've learned in 37 years of owning boats is that it is more fun if we have boating guests. Recently we have an ideal situation where I do all of the towing for all 3 buddies. They love that I tow their boat to the lake, do the launching and retrieval, and supply all the diesel fuel for the frequent 100 mile round trip. We've got our own boat but we rotate between the 3 boats and mine gets the least amount of use. I really like this because I only have to keep my truck detailed and not the boat and truck on every trip. And at the end of the boating day we all pitch in and wipe down whomever's boat, too. It helps that my extra cab pickup has a Snug Top canopy on it where we put all the wet towels, vest, wetsuits, and coolers and still carry 6 boaters.

This poll allows multiple answers to the questions.

Edited by DONTW8

I guess if everybody is happy, why change. Boy, when you take a trip to the lake, you take a trip to the lake! 100 miles...wow! I wouldn't have any experience there! We are 5 minutes.

When I lived in Seattle I discovered the shared waterfront concept (yea HOAs suck, but it's nice to have the lake right there & not have to pay an arm & a leg for it). So when we decided to move away from the area, there were several areas we considered, ie; Bend, Spokane, Austin, & Reno to name a few. Of those areas, the affordable shared waterfront living with good rideable lakes was only in Austin & Spokane. And since we have more family in the NW, well there ya go. So the lake is a block away & we share a 300' sandy beach, dock with 17 boat slips, boat ramp, picnic area, etc. with 53 other home owners. Cuts down on a the towing a lot, and allows us to go out anytime, for the whole day or just an hour or two. Typically we will ride in the morning & be done when all the tubers blow out the lake. Then come back in the evening for another ride or to booze cruise or whatever.

Every situation is different. Most of our friends are young couples and we all split the costs of weekend trips pretty evenly. If it's a day trip I usually pay more then my share, but I just like having others along for the fun. For day trips I don't mind paying for the gas to get to the lake. especially if gas stays around $2/gal this summer, but once at the lake the gas used in the boat gets split evenly. If someone else tows the boat they can ride all they want for free.

When we go with my parents/family they always insist on covering all expenses. We offer, but most always get turned down. At the end of the day or trip I get to clean the boat inside and out, put away the gear, and put the boat away...I try to earn my keep :lol:

Once I get a truck that can tow the boat, I will feel more like I actually contribute something :)

I tow and pay for boat, gas, food, drinks and fun toys. I really appreciate when my friends pitch in for gas at the least. It makes me want to invite them back.

When invite people out, they are guests period. The only thing I require is that they have a good time and conduct themselves in a respectable manner.

My crew is full of my best friends and they all know that they need to help out with gas so I normally don't ask for any gas money normally I never ask from first timers but I definitely accept

My crew is full of my best friends and they all know that they need to help out with gas so I normally don't ask for any gas money normally I never ask from first timers but I definitely accept

Definately, we're about the same way, and most of the guys that go all the time will help with gas or food and drinks, and then a couple of them help me with maintenance whenever we need it. The wife and I usually take the money and put it away that way when we want a new accessory for the boat or a toy or need some kind of maintence done, we have a stash put away just for that purpose...and everyone still gets to enjoy

Our guests are just that... guests. They are not hit up for money, food, beverages, etc... In fact I tell them all they need is a towel and I ask what they want to drink. (and to respect the boat.) The first timers usually bring a big bag of clothes, towels, food, cooler, etc... Once they spend the day on our boat they usually figure out I have all the bases covered and the big bag does not come back.

If they offer gas money I'll accept it, depending on the situation.

Patrick

Our guests are just that... guests. They are not hit up for money, food, beverages, etc... In fact I tell them all they need is a towel and I ask what they want to drink. (and to respect the boat.) The first timers usually bring a big bag of clothes, towels, food, cooler, etc... Once they spend the day on our boat they usually figure out I have all the bases covered and the big bag does not come back.

Patrick

We are the same as you Patrick. We never ask for anything....but if they offer a beer or gas etc. we will accept it.

We to have a unique situation. We camp all summer long and we camp with another family with a Malibu. We use my boat in the morning for footing and his for skiing. Then when we get back the kids like to tube and everyone pitches in for gas. I would never ask for gas from my guest but if they offer I will accept. If I envite them I don't except them to pay.

We never ask for anything except to respect the boat and help wipe down at the end of the day. We will accept gas money only if they are persistent.

Patrick

I with Patrick...

We have guests, family and regular ski partners. The guests are our guests & aren't expected to chip in anything, but only go out once or twice a year with each guest.

Family (we live 400 miles from the closest family) never pays as it's a great time to be out on the lake with everyone.

Regular ski partners share expenses/gas money & boat time, though were usually only on the lake for a few hours at a time before it gets too busy.

Longer trips are split evenly for lodging, food & boat gas, but typically involve 3 - 5 families & 2 boats.

we always plan to cover it all, and if someone offers to buy a tank of gas or help in some way, that is a bonus.

we invite people to go with us because we enjoy the water and the company.

i really like it more when guests offer to help - clean the boat, wipe it down, pack the gear, etc. than hand me cash.

I'm at a point where I am desperate. My daughters are grown and have summer jobs, so I am at the point where I even ask, and almost have to beg my coworkers to go out after work. I even have to ask workers from other trades. Nobody ever has the time. I never take money for gas, asking only that you bring your own food, usually just snacks, and beverages (no glass). You can only find decent boating on weekdays in NJ, so weekend day trips don't happen. On a rare occasion a coworker is licensed to drive a boat in Jersey. Sometimes I can get (TMCrewmember) Baddog to come along.

edit; I just want to use the boat, even if I don't get to ski due to a lack of a driver.

Edited by electricjohn

I never ask but My close friends know my boat is their boat and our entertainment, so they always offer gas money use their truck to tow or pay gate fees by lunch drinks or something, and I do the same on their boats. In return they have a safe very well maintained spit shined boat with a kick butt stereo all the toys extra fat sacks a bunch of lead everything they would need to use.

When I invite random friends or coworkers I don't expect anything in return.

Humbly accepted but not expected from those invited. I have no issues with grabbing any/all of the guests to help pack or unpack the gear/food once we are landing at the 'spot' for the day or preparing to head for the house... :)

I tow and pay for boat, gas, food, drinks and fun toys. I really appreciate when my friends pitch in for gas at the least. It makes me want to invite them back.

+1. I sit with him. I make people buy drinks however - my only stipulation.

Need to get my 23 LSV so I can haul more people!

Patrick

I with Patrick...

Plus1.gif

Also, I would never ask any of my friends to pull my boat. I mean, sure if I had some regular boat friends, but then why wouldn't we just rotate boats (including the towing etc) I'd never be able to relax having a non-boat owner trying to tow my boat around, lauch it etc - I don't really let any non-boat owners drive the boat..

I should add that all three of us drive each other's boats. It is so handy to have experienced boat people around to take care of the tow ropes, or catch the gas dock, or catch the shoreline, put out fenders, help the skier with boot lube, or ski retrieval. Whomever is the driver can do just that knowing that the others will take care of the peripherals. Two of us keep our boat in spit shined condition and we never have an issue. Plus we put a fitted boat cover on the PS 197 and the Sunsetter at the end of the day because they go into a storage unit. Two can put the cover on while one is unhitching.

Of course we only have adults on board except for the ten day campout when we have as many as 25 total including our grown kids, nieces, nephews, sisters, brothers, etc.

Patrick

We are the same as you Patrick. We never ask for anything....but if they offer a beer or gas etc. we will accept it.

Sounds about right. I never ask for gas $ or food. I even go an extra step and let everyone know what they don't need to bring (towels, sunblock, h2o, big ice chest, etc) unless they are adamant about having their own stuff. I always have 5 bleached towels stored in a water tight action packer, h2o, sunblock, and the ice chest on the boat at all times. I find that when each person brings all their own stuff (and in big bags), we have less and less room to move around in the boat...but i'm understanding if they want to bring it.

The only time I ever get a little irked is when my closest buddies (who go out on the boat with me all the time...who don't own boats...whom I never ask for gas $...who know that I have a keggerator because they come over and drink from it...who know I bring a couple mason jugs of beer for myself instead of cans) end up asking me "Do you have beer or do I need to bring some"? That's when I feel like saying "You know I always have beer...did you want me to supply it for you...as well as the boat, insurance, tow vehicle, gas, equipment, etc...or would you like to BYOB?"

Beer is the one area where regulars should know the drill. Newbies get a couple free passes.

One main rule for all: No Reefs with bottle openers on bottom...interior's worst enemy.

Edited by DIE2SURF

I had a person (I don't call him a friend) come over to go skiing when we were done he asked can I give you some money for gas? I said ok so we are up at my garage and he opens his trunk and holds up two big bags of empty pop cans and said I don't have my wallet but this should do. Ah no thanks I am not spending my day at the can return!!!! Dontknow.gif:Doh:

I had a person (I don't call him a friend) come over to go skiing when we were done he asked can I give you some money for gas? I said ok so we are up at my garage and he opens his trunk and holds up two big bags of empty pop cans and said I don't have my wallet but this should do. Ah no thanks I am not spending my day at the can return!!!! Dontknow.gif:Doh:

NO WAY! Unreal...you just can't make up lame-@$$ed stuff like that. ROFL.gif

Thats nothing.

I got up one morning and I am walking through the house and I see a face looking in the window. Its him. Oh I was just waiting for some one to wake up ya want to go skiing?

My ski bud is out floating in his Bu with his wife and this guy comes over in his dad's MC. Could I get a ride I would love to ride behind your Bu. ( this is our first experience with him). Bud, ya I will give you a ride so he jumps in the boat strips but naked puts on his suit right in front of his mom and my bud's wife.

Another year I see him putting in his docks so no boat in yet. So i said to my bud should we give him a ride. ya so we yell do you want a ride Oh ya. He runs into the house grabs all his gear runs out and strips to put on his suit. Let me think he was just in the house!!!!!!!!!!

We don't ski with him much any more. :Doh:

Sorry for the HI Jack.