Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spring Start Up - Moaning and Groaning from the shaft

So, I pulled the bu from storage yesterday and fire it up today. All went good, started right up and sounded smooth; no leaks from the reconnected cooling hoses Thumbup.gif I pulled the pin to keep it in neutral and rev the rpms up a bit and noticed some moaning and groaning coming from behind the engine (it's direct drive) so I take a look at the shaft and notice it's turning about a half revolution per second (motor at about 2500 rpms). Put the throttle back down to idle and it really groaned then stopped. So here are my two questions...

1. Is the shaft supposed to turn (albeit slowly) when the motor is running in neutral?

2. I suspect the moaning was produced from the cutlass bearing which has been dry now for several months; sound about right?

Thanks,

Jared

Yup..mine does the same thing...nothing to worry about!! It's nice to hear that V8 fire up for the first time at the beginning of the season isn't it!!

Yup..mine does the same thing...nothing to worry about!! It's nice to hear that V8 fire up for the first time at the beginning of the season isn't it!!

Yeah, especially when the motor and exhaust is dry and it's on the trailer. The other thing I love is the smell when I open the cover (mix of fuel and boat carpet it think). Crazy.gif

I can't wait to smell that smell or hear that V8 roar should be smelling and hearing both by tomorrow evening.

As others have said, normal. Next time you want to run/rev it in the driveway, spray a little soapy water on the strut bearing. No more scary noise and no damage to the bearing. :)