Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat insurance

Bobby Light

Just a heads up crew. I had insurance from Boaters Insurance Agency with the 06 vlx and got a quote from them today on the new 09' 23 LSV (pics coming soon). I then called up American Family Insurance and got a quote that was $200 a year cheaper. Both were comparable policies with the American Family Insurace policy being a little better as far as coverages goes. Thought I'd just pass it along.

Both policies inlcluded an agreed value replacement, liability coverages, uninsured/underinsured boaters, same medical coverages, etc..

Just a heads up might be worth a call to someone. They offer a significant discount for a boaters safety course card as well.

Also, check for freeze damage in the policy as there is another thread about engines freezing and not being covered.

It seems that in the past I have heard of many cases of freeze damage and the insurance company covering it. But recently I have seen in my soon to be old policy, and even my potential new policy that its not.

AM Fam - soon to be old

It seems that in the past I have heard of many cases of freeze damage and the insurance company covering it. But recently I have seen in my soon to be old policy, and even my potential new policy that its not.

AM Fam - soon to be old

What?

Soon to be my old carrier. Is that what you mean? I didn't mean that AM FAM is going down or anything.

From my policy:

In addition, we do not insure for loss caused directly or indirectly

by any of the following. However, ensuing loss by fire, explosion,

smoke, collision, sinking, upset, or stranding is covered.

Freezing including damage which results from freezing or

thawing. This also includes damage which results from ice,

whether driven by wind or not, while your insured watercraft

is moored or laid up afloat.

Edited by bretski75
Soon to be my old carrier. Is that what you mean? I didn't mean that AM FAM is going down or anything.

From my policy:

In addition, we do not insure for loss caused directly or indirectly

by any of the following. However, ensuing loss by fire, explosion,

smoke, collision, sinking, upset, or stranding is covered.

Freezing including damage which results from freezing or

thawing. This also includes damage which results from ice,

whether driven by wind or not, while your insured watercraft

is moored or laid up afloat.

Gotcha. The ice exclusion isn't an issue for me, that bad reviews I've been reading about this company today is though.

Anyone else have this company for boat insurance?

Just a heads up crew. I had insurance from Boaters Insurance Agency with the 06 vlx and got a quote from them today on the new 09' 23 LSV (pics coming soon). I then called up American Family Insurance and got a quote that was $200 a year cheaper. Both were comparable policies with the American Family Insurace policy being a little better as far as coverages goes. Thought I'd just pass it along.

Both policies inlcluded an agreed value replacement, liability coverages, uninsured/underinsured boaters, same medical coverages, etc..

Just a heads up might be worth a call to someone. They offer a significant discount for a boaters safety course card as well.

What was the total for the year? If you don't mind me asking.

Called Progressive, no coverage for freezing either. But the price was right for a stated policy with no winter layup.

Maybe I am wrong but I swear I have heard of insurance companies paying for cracked blocks.

$483 no layup confirmed today.

That's not bad, I've had insurance with Allstate for "I can't even remember" $500 a year and no worries of any layups or freezing coverages (granted I haven't had a claim in over 12 years) I even have free towing on and off the water. If my truck brakes down they send out a truck and tow the boat home free within 100 miles :)

FWIW...I have priced my policy with Allstate, State Farm, and an independent agent that reps 10 other companies and NO ONE was able to beat the coverages or policy price of BOATUS.

I have had them for several years now and to insure my 2004 LSV with full coverage, no layup, and agreed value...is $380/yr.

I would encourage anyone to look into BoatUS.

http://www.boatus.com/insurance/default.asp?WT.mc_id=400002

That's not bad, I've had insurance with Allstate for "I can't even remember" $500 a year and no worries of any layups or freezing coverages (granted I haven't had a claim in over 12 years) I even have free towing on and off the water. If my truck brakes down they send out a truck and tow the boat home free within 100 miles :)

Same with this quote I got.

I'll call up BoatUS tomorrow for a quote.

I got higher coverage (agreed value) less deductibles and personal items covered $2000 through Progressive for the same as BoatUs, and no NOAA named storm higher deductible as stated by BoatUs.

i think state farm quoted me less than $300 / year on a 2008 Sunscape. can't remember the exact number.

i keep my cars and homeowners and boat all with state farm and the coverages / medical / liability back each other up.

for example, in my driveway, my homeowners covers my boat. pulling it down the road, it is part of my truck.

one monthly bill, one agent, no hassle claims.

no, i don't work for state farm...

From what my S.F. guy told me, homeowner's doesn't cover a boat on the property.

I'm in a weird situation where I own the boat and my G.F. owns the house.

I recently asked my agent (who has all of both of our insurance policies for everything) how we could get the boat to be covered under the homeowners policy while the boat was layed up and parked in our driveway. He basically said it would never be covered under the homeowners even if I "sold" the boat to my G.F.

I was looking for a way to cut down the cost of insuring the boat all year long when it's just sitting for ~8 months.

From what my S.F. guy told me, homeowner's doesn't cover a boat on the property.

I'm in a weird situation where I own the boat and my G.F. owns the house.

I recently asked my agent (who has all of both of our insurance policies for everything) how we could get the boat to be covered under the homeowners policy while the boat was layed up and parked in our driveway. He basically said it would never be covered under the homeowners even if I "sold" the boat to my G.F.

I was looking for a way to cut down the cost of insuring the boat all year long when it's just sitting for ~8 months.

Pete, I think your agent may have been telling you false information. Either way your boat is covered but if something happens to the boat which is caused by an incident unrelated or had nothing to do with the boat like someone breaking in, a tree falling on it, etc. you homeowners or renters insurance should cover the loss "if" it's on the property line boundaries. It's really not worth going into it with him or her because they probably don't want to change the policy, but that is the way mine is set up. In fact now I have to check mine because it doesn't stay here at home anymore but I have insurance year around.

Edited by 68Slalom

Tony,

Me and my agent had a knock down drag out fight over this. And I think it was the second time. I specifically asked him if something were to happen to the boat like, tree fall on it, would my renter's or Chrissy's homeowner's insur. cover it if we took the boat off insurance during the lay up period. He specifically told me there was no way any other policy would cover the boat even though the boat was on our property when it got damaged. He made it sound like the boat was from another planet and we had to keep our other planet insur. on it all year round.

So, next I told him I gotta get this insur. down from ~$600 /yr. We haggled for the longest time and bottom line is I had to prove to them that my boat was no longer worth $37K (which was the stated value when we bought it 8 years ago.) It pissed me off that I had to hyper link them boat ads and the NADA guide showing my 9 yr. old boat was only worth $22K these days. Therefor, they dropped the stated value down and now I've got ~$400 /yr. boat insur. all year long.