Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Air filter cleaning question?

I am going to be getting the boat ready for docking in the next week and I am going to do a tune up and was wondering what is good to clean the air filter with I believe that its a k&n air filter that is on the monsoon 340 engine. THe boat is a 04 wakesetter if that make s a difference.

Thanks in advance

K&N makes a kit at most auto stores with the solution and oil, pretty straight forward. Go easy on the oil. Think I read here about too much causing issues, but I haven't had any.

The K&N kit is $20 for the cleaning solution but well worth it because its really simple to use and has a large enough quantity to do multiple cleanings.

You could also use Dawn dish washing detergent. You want to put the soapy water solution into a shallow pan like a brownie pan and roll the filter around in it. (How you're gonna get rid of that oily water, I don't wanna know) Don't let anything get into the inside of the filter while cleaning. Rinse very thoroughly from the inside out with light volume and pressure water. Then, let dry for a couple of days. The element will turn to a very light pink shade. As stated, don't over do it while re-oiling, a little less is better than a little too much.

edit, I don't work for K+N but, I'd say you only need to clean these filters every 2 yrs. or 150 hrs.

Edited by Pistol Pete
if there is a pink color to it its probably clean, not much dust sitting on top of water

Plus1.gif

Mines an 04 also and today as a matter of fact was the first time it was cleaned, still looked good though.

Now the K&N on Chevelle use to get cleaned every few months so it looked fresh and pretty,the four on the old street bike every spring, the K&N in my personal truck about once a year, my work trucks K&N every oil change/3000mi. :)

The spray on oil is easier but the squeeze bottle pour on bottle last a lot longer but takes a little time. It doesn't take much, it soaks in after a few minutes, then go over any light spots.