Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need some help with basic maintenance

Hey everyone,

I've recently purchased my first boat (03 VLX!) and am trying to lean how to perform some basic maintenance on the boat. Does anyone have a detailed step-by-step explaination (possibly with pictures and list of parts) for each of the maintenance requirements listed below? I'm tired of paying a maintenance bill that is 20% parts and 80% labor... never again! Any help would be appreciated. Let me know if I'm missing anything.

Transmission Fluid Change

V-Drive Fluid Change

Oil/Filter Change

Fuel Filter

Hey everyone,

I've recently purchased my first boat (03 VLX!) and am trying to lean how to perform some basic maintenance on the boat. Does anyone have a detailed step-by-step explaination (possibly with pictures and list of parts) for each of the maintenance requirements listed below? I'm tired of paying a maintenance bill that is 20% parts and 80% labor... never again! Any help would be appreciated. Let me know if I'm missing anything.

Transmission Fluid Change

V-Drive Fluid Change

Oil/Filter Change

Fuel Filter

For the tranmission fluid and the oil gotta get a pump to suck it out of both fill holes and then just refill with recommended amount. i would recommend getting the clymers manual for the boat that should help explain a bunch of the parts location.

In the same situation, first full season on my boat. Buy the manual...it helps.

Oil - You should have a drain hose lying on the bottom of the boat under the engine. I bought a Topsider pump ($50 at West Marine) and drain it through that. Engine Oil filter will be on the starboard side of the engine. Pretty easy change there too.

Tranny fluid..suck it out and put the new in. (through the dipstick hole)

V-Drive oiil is the same change as the tranny fluid.

Ok great.. I can see where the transmission dip stick is but am not sure where the v-drive cap is located...??? Have any of you cleaned the transmission fluid filter before??? If so... any suggestions on how to do it?

Does the '03 VLX have the Walter's V-Drive?

I'm actually working on my boat tonight, so I'll take some pics and email them to you.

Edited by fijidaniel

The V-drive oil dipstick/cap is located on the right side as you're kneeling on your knees looking toward the engine. It's painted black and looks like a mushroom cap. Pull it straight up and you'll see a dipstick is attached to the bottom of it. No one really changes their trans. filter. Just suck out the old fluid and replace. There's no friction material in there like a car.