Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Batteries Drain in only a couple hours

I am running 3 batteries on my boat. All three are brand new. 2 Marine Deep cycle Deka and 1 Deka Marine Starting. These are separated by a 2 bank perko switch, 1, 2 and all. The two deep cycle are on position 2 and wired in parallel, starting battery is in position one. I also fully charged these batteries with a ProSport 20 plus, a three bank battery charger with the perko set to off while charging the night before.

This past Sunday at the lake the batteries drained in about 3 to 4 hours. This was with the stereo cranked, while we were actively wake boarding. The perko was set to ALL position. I figured the alternator would be able to provide some sort of charge, but it did not.

Should I get my alternator tested?

Should three batteries run out of juice that quick? (3 amps:1x400,4x400,2x200)

Should I leave the perko set to only one bank at a time?

Is their something I am doing incorrectly?

I am running 3 batteries on my boat. All three are brand new. 2 Marine Deep cycle Deka and 1 Deka Marine Starting. These are separated by a 2 bank perko switch, 1, 2 and all. The two deep cycle are on position 2 and wired in parallel, starting battery is in position one. I also fully charged these batteries with a ProSport 20 plus, a three bank battery charger with the perko set to off while charging the night before.

This past Sunday at the lake the batteries drained in about 3 to 4 hours. This was with the stereo cranked, while we were actively wake boarding. The perko was set to ALL position. I figured the alternator would be able to provide some sort of charge, but it did not.

Should I get my alternator tested?

Should three batteries run out of juice that quick? (3 amps:1x400,4x400,2x200)

Should I leave the perko set to only one bank at a time?

Is their something I am doing incorrectly?

Sounds like an alternator or wiring issue. I can wakeboard all day with stereo cranked and voltage stays around 14.

Plus1.gif Sounds like an alternator or wiring issue

You can test the anternator by starting the engine and then taking off the battery cable from the battery..... if the engine stops the alternator is bad... if it keeps running the alternator is good.

I had a similar problem. I'm not sure how to link to the post, but if you use the advanced search option on TMC and put in battery and my name in the member section there is a post with pics regarding the wiring. You may want to check that the alternator is feeding the batteries. My switch was installed at a dealer, and even they can make a wiring mistake sometimes. Good luck

daddyodoc,

Thanks for the info. I have been wondering if my perko is wired correctly. I have amps and Main power harness call running directly to battery bank #2, not the perko. I am going to rewire and see if my volts change.

this was your old thread

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....c=11501&hl=

Edited by AzSyndicate