Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Sportser changing strut bushings

pkenney

Yes, if you have any friends with a little wrenching experience I would ask for help, it's not hard but it does involve messing with your steering so you need to make sure it's right.

Drop the rudder, yank the shaft, yank the strut, install new.

Optionally you can press out the old bearings, press in new ones, then remount the original strut. (Still have to remove it from the boat) Cost is about the same as installing new strut complete.

Peter

Drop the rudder, yank the shaft, yank the strut, install new.

Optionally you can press out the old bearings, press in new ones, then remount the original strut. (Still have to remove it from the boat) Cost is about the same as installing new strut complete.

Peter

But do I have to pull out the gas tannk, I just installed a telefex fuel sening unit.It looks very tight under the tankto get at the rudder.

Block up under rudder, Pull bolt out of tiller, lift tiller off rudder shaft and rudder should be ready to pull out of stuffing box. Depending on your trailer, you may need to lift rear of boat to pull rudder.

Block up under rudder, Pull bolt out of tiller, lift tiller off rudder shaft and rudder should be ready to pull out of stuffing box. Depending on your trailer, you may need to lift rear of boat to pull rudder.

OK how do I lift the boat? I have large I beam in garage. Can I lift from transum tie downs using straps and 2 chain falls? Mabe Petter from smoothwaters can answer that.

I asked that of three different people at the Merced plant over the course of 8 years and all responded that it was ok to lift boat off trailer using rear tow hooks and bow eye, but not as permanent lift points, such as for boat lift at dock. Just had mine lifted off bunks last week for inspection. just loosened winch strap an inch and lifted from rear only. Don't forget to safety block!

How many hours on your boat and how loose is shaft in bushings? You seen slide hammer sold @ places like skidim.com (discount inboard marine) and elberts.com?

Edited by skier92
I asked that of three different people at the Merced plant over the course of 8 years and all responded that it was ok to lift boat off trailer using rear tow hooks and bow eye, but not as permanent lift points, such as for boat lift at dock. Just had mine lifted off bunks last week for inspection. just loosened winch strap an inch and lifted from rear only. Don't forget to safety block!

How many hours on your boat and how loose is shaft in bushings? You seen slide hammer sold @ places like skidim.com (discount inboard marine) and elberts.com?

The boat has about 250 hrs. I do not know how much play there should be in the bushing. I put a dialindercater on the shaft.There was about .015" play. I found a puller online ( Strut Pro ) I called it was $400 ouch. You remove the prop install puller push the bushing off, it suppost to take 15-20 minutes. I am going to fabricate one myself. It will take me 1-2 hrs to fab.

It is not that difficult a job but as mentioned you do have to pull the rudder to remove the shaft. I just did mine, you will need a few tools such as a 1-1/8" socket and torque wrench, either a slide hammer or a saw blade to remove the old strut bushings. The first question is why are you changing the strut bushings? Per you last comment, .015" play does seem a bit much or is that bend in the shaft from measuring as you rotated the shaft. If so, that will need attention. SkiDim and Elberts have great drawings and will offer advice on doing the job, along with great service on parts. You should be able to slide your boat to one side of the trailer to get the rudder to drop down and out of the way, try that first.

This is the response from Marine Hardware to my question "is there a measurement at which point bushings should be replaced"

I don’t know of an actual spec. for this. My opinion is that if everything has been aligned correctly and the shaft has not been bent, then probably about .015” play. If all components are aligned, these bearings usually last for years. However, if things are out of alignment, then yes you could see wear occur in short order.

I hope this is helpful.

Don Starbuck

Sales Dept.

425-883-0651 x229

It is not that difficult a job but as mentioned you do have to pull the rudder to remove the shaft. I just did mine, you will need a few tools such as a 1-1/8" socket and torque wrench, either a slide hammer or a saw blade to remove the old strut bushings. The first question is why are you changing the strut bushings? Per you last comment, .015" play does seem a bit much or is that bend in the shaft from measuring as you rotated the shaft. If so, that will need attention. SkiDim and Elberts have great drawings and will offer advice on doing the job, along with great service on parts. You should be able to slide your boat to one side of the trailer to get the rudder to drop down and out of the way, try that first.

The boat is a 2000. I bought it new. I think the play I am seeing is the rubber in the cutlass bushing flexing,when I push on the shaft. When I turn the shaft with a dial indincator on it,there is 0 run out.So I am sure the shaft is not bent.

Well, first off, I'm not convinced that you need to replace the bushings yet.

But, should you decide to do it, I don't like the idea of a slide hammer. The strut is rigid, the fiberglass is not. Every whack from a hammer will transmit as flex in the gelcoat, and may promote some crazing. In the old days I've tried to "pound out" strut bearings from struts in a vise. Nearly impossible. Drop it in a press though and they slide right out.

(Also, The slide hammers I'm familiar with are for removing shafts from the coupler, not for strut bushings)

If you need to do it still, then you need to drop the rudder. If you do not have a gantry already setup, here's an old school way that works easily, with no damage. Use a very long strap (at least 2"x20') and pull it around the oak tree on the corner of your lot. A friends truck will work too, if you set the brake. Hook the ends to the transom eyes on the boat. Unhook the bow strap. With the tow vehicle in low range, and 1st gear, slowly pull foward. You will pull the trailer forward 12" or so, just enough so that with the rudder turned it will drop down past the prop cage. This will make the tongue lighter, but it will not lift if off the ground unless you toss 200 lbs on the platform. When all back together just winch the the boat back up to the bow stop.

Since the question was posed I'll answer it. Every boat shipped from the factory is lifted using the bow and transom eyes. This is no problem, and while not recommended for yearly storage, you can do this in your boat house too. Use a spreader bar on front and back so the lift straps are vertical (not pulling the eyes sideways), and up you go.

As a side note, every Fountain performance boat was built to lift using the bow and transom eyes, including that 47' Lightning.

Everything here is just an opinion, but ones I believe in.

Peter :)