Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slalom with a VLX

shuswap_kids

Looking at a 09 21.5 VLX. I'm a slalom guy but the kids are on me about wake surfing. I'm a good rec slalom skier but am not a coarse skier. Wondering if the ski behind this bu is ok.

Brent

Looking at a 09 21.5 VLX. I'm a slalom guy but the kids are on me about wake surfing. I'm a good rec slalom skier but am not a coarse skier. Wondering if the ski behind this bu is ok.

Brent

Go with a VTX with the diamond hull and never look back. I did last year.

It will be better than an I/O, but not what I would call good.

I skied on on 05 VLX and it was not better then an I/O. You will have a hard time cutting back and forth with any speed. Lazily skiing I was fine, but when I cut I was flying through the air. I'm not a course skier either, but I do like to go back and forth. Skiing behind the made me change my mind from a v-ride to a VTX.

i went from a bayliner 185 to an 2008 wakesetter vtx cutdimond hull and i am very pleased with the wakes 32mph+

i flattens out quite nice but i will never be better than a rlxi

i went from a bayliner 185 to an 2008 wakesetter vtx cutdimond hull and i am very pleased with the wakes 32mph+

it flattens out quite nice but i will never be better than a rlxi

Won't even be close. V-drives do not make good slalom boats. Period.

Brent

Are you looking at the diamond hull or the wake hull? I would say that if you plan on skiing behind it go for the diamond hull, that is what we did. I can't tell you what the wake is like yet because it just keeps snowing here! Cry.gif

Terry

Well...I guess.

This is the wake at 36 mph, 15 off behind a 2009 VTX, taken last week- fast forward to 40 or so seconds to get a wider angle view of the wakes if you'd like:

This is the wake at 31 mph, 15 off- the cut at 37 seconds is probably what those of you who are better would be interested in:

Forgive the "in the learning stages" skiing.

Is the wake tabletop flat? No. There is a bump in the middle which you can clearly see both of us reacting to. If we were on edge through the whole wake, I'm sure the bump would be even less. Getting there. But for someone like yourself, I think it's not going to be the thing holding back your skiing- it's not really affecting mine at all.

Of course, I'm moving from a high-performance bass boat, so I'm not ruling out the chance that I'll get pickier as time goes on. I'm sure there's a good chance of that.

But, for me for now, I think the VTX on the cut diamond hull was clearly the best choice. The room of the V drive + the true multisport capability > a small (but true, I'm sure) loss in slalom performance.

What about the VLX then? It's a v drive. You can get it on the diamond hull. Yes, but you lose even more slalom performance with the added weight 21 feet brings. What good does that 21 feet bring you? Better wakeboard wakes, 4 inches more length in the seating area. (The VTX is able to compensate for its loss in length by making the bow smaller. In my opinion, you can still fit two people up there, so it's large enough, even with the bow ballast, which you should get.) The VTX has a wider beam, actually, so the seating area is marginally wider than the VLX. Marginally.

It's harder to tow, store, etc, 21 vs 20 feet, so there are plenty of variables to think about.

At least you got the "manufacturer" choice right- hard to really mess it up that badly from now on no matter what you do. Perhaps even the 23 XTi? Still an inboard...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/malibuboats/2...57603894525111/

had the 2008 VLX last year with the diamond hull and it was not so bad. i don't go in the slalom but i am a agressive open water skier. i ski with a 18 meter rope and 54 km/h (i am heavy). The boat before was a maristar 210VRS and now i just recieved the 2009 VLX still on the diamond hull. it's sure the VTX is better but if your not a avid slalom skier just demo the VLX in my opinion it's a good boat for everything

what is the best way to tell a wake hull from a diamond hull just by looking at it?

I was just a t the dealership and the only way they sugested was by running your hand under the hull edge an feeling for the lip on a Diamond hull as opposed to no lip on the tje wale hull.

Brent

Are you looking at the diamond hull or the wake hull? I would say that if you plan on skiing behind it go for the diamond hull, that is what we did. I can't tell you what the wake is like yet because it just keeps snowing here! Cry.gif

Terry

Yeh, we're dealing with the same conditions at the lake as well. Looking at the Wake hull and am going to go demo next week. Guy at the dealership says that the wake edge at 32 MPH is not bad on either boat.

Brent

what is the best way to tell a wake hull from a diamond hull just by looking at it?

just the shape and size the wake hull has a small lip on it

Well...I guess.

This is the wake at 36 mph, 15 off behind a 2009 VTX, taken last week- fast forward to 40 or so seconds to get a wider angle view of the wakes if you'd like:

This is the wake at 31 mph, 15 off- the cut at 37 seconds is probably what those of you who are better would be interested in:

Is the wake tabletop flat? No. There is a bump in the middle which you can clearly see both of us reacting to. If we were on edge through the whole wake, I'm sure the bump would be even less. Getting there. But for someone like yourself, I think it's not going to be the thing holding back your skiing- it's not really affecting mine at all.

Of course, I'm moving from a high-performance bass boat, so I'm not ruling out the chance that I'll get pickier as time goes on. I'm sure there's a good chance of that.

But, for me for now, I think the VTX on the cut diamond hull was clearly the best choice. The room of the V drive + the true multisport capability > a small (but true, I'm sure) loss in slalom performance.

What about the VLX then? It's a v drive. You can get it on the diamond hull. Yes, but you lose even more slalom performance with the added weight 21 feet brings. What good does that 21 feet bring you? Better wakeboard wakes, 4 inches more length in the seating area. (The VTX is able to compensate for its loss in length by making the bow smaller. In my opinion, you can still fit two people up there, so it's large enough, even with the bow ballast, which you should get.) The VTX has a wider beam, actually, so the seating area is marginally wider than the VLX. Marginally.

It's harder to tow, store, etc, 21 vs 20 feet, so there are plenty of variables to think about.

At least you got the "manufacturer" choice right- hard to really mess it up that badly from now on no matter what you do. Perhaps even the 23 XTi? Still an inboard...

Thanks for the clips (looks mighty cold in the water there still, but at least your on the water) The wake looks better than the ride i have at present but am still hedging toward the VLX.

Hey shuswap, where you from?

Vancouver BC. We bu on the shuswap lake which is in the interior here.

Brent

VLX is a wakeboard boat. My understanding is a VLX with a diamond hull is a Sunscape. No such beast-- VLX with a diamond hull. The VTX is the best crossover boat around. If you want to enjoy slalom skiing gotta go with Diamond hull on a VTX or a Sunscape.

Vancouver BC. We bu on the shuswap lake which is in the interior here.

Brent

Where about on Shuswap? I'm from Kamloops. Our fam's got a place on shuswap as well

Well...I guess.

What kind of speed control do you have? Engine seems a bit erratic.....

tyuhas - VLX is a wakeboard boat. My understanding is a VLX with a diamond hull is a Sunscape. No such beast-- VLX with a diamond hull.

So why would Malibu even offer the VLX with a diamond hull; marketing? Sounds like the VLX with the diamond is a poor choice. Not a good wakeboard boat and not a good recreational ski boat. Looks like the VTX is a better choice all around.