Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

impeller installation

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill_AirJunky

• skier92

• fijidaniel

• mokanmalibu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just ordered the defender impeller I hope it is better then the original one. Anyone out there have one of these installed on thier boat?

Just finished with the installation of the impeller on my 05 VLX, only took 15 minutes to install. The kit came with gasket and o-ring I did not see any o-ring when i took the old impeller off so I installed the new one without one..Did i do the right thing.....First time installer Whistling.gif

You did it just fine, the o-ring is for different sytle pumps, ours just just the gasket. Also nice job....you didn't whine like a little baby about a pretty simple to do procedure.

Unless im missing somthing, changing out the impeller on a v-drive is not so simple with the motor in backwards and the silent ride muffler in the way. Ive done it and whined all day about it. I would very impressed if anyone could do it in 15 min.

Maybe the older Malibu v-drive's dont have the muffler to get in the way???

Edited by Poemoroe
Just finished with the installation of the impeller on my 05 VLX, only took 15 minutes to install. The kit came with gasket and o-ring I did not see any o-ring when i took the old impeller off so I installed the new one without one..Did i do the right thing.....First time installer Whistling.gif

You did it just fine, the o-ring is for different sytle pumps, ours just just the gasket. Also nice job....you didn't whine like a little baby about a pretty simple to do procedure.

Unless im missing somthing, changing out the impeller on a v-drive is not so simple with the motor in backwards and the silent ride muffler in the way. Ive done it and whined all day about it. I would very impressed if anyone could do it in 15 min.

Maybe the older Malibu v-drive's dont have the muffler to get in the way???

I've found that removing everything from the Port locker, removing the panels, including the smaller rear panel that is screwed in place, gives me the easiest access. I just crawl into the locker and work laying down. Take your time and you'll find that you don't drop things. I struggle the most with getting the old one out, but even with that delay, I usually comlete the task in 30 minutes and the only thing I have disassembled is a few screws holding the back panel in place.

Wow!!!

I just finished changing out my impeller on my 21 LSV. What a PITA!! Know wonder the dealer wants so much $$$

First I had to remove the engine hatch. Bad enough just to get started.

First I attempted to reach down deep, blinded by the muffler to remove the housing bolts. Then I dropped my socket down into the bilge. Talk about frustrating Ranting.gif

Then I thought maybe it would be easier to just pull the pump from the pulley. That seemed easy enough, only three Allan nuts. Well with the tight quarters you can only get about 1/4 turn at a time. What a PITA!!!

I finally came to the conclusion that the silent muffler had to come out. That helped tremendously. Once out I continued to pull the entire pump to the work bench so that I didn't drop anything else into that abyss of a bilge. The impeller came out pretty smoothly. It was still in new condition, even with being 3 years old with 160hrs on it. Better safe than sorry though. Installed the new one and replaced the pump. Then the muffler and the engine lid.

I tell you what, I'm sore.... All that body contortion. Knees are raw from kneeling on my swim step, my butt is sunburn from my shorts drifting down and my chest is bruised from hanging over the transom for hours. I cant believe Malibu made this task so hard. Especially if you need to do it regularly...

When I went to winterize my 23 LSV late last year, I quickly realized that the impeller would be a lot harder to get out than the one on my previous LXI direct drive. I blew off getting the old impeller out during the winterization and ordered an impeller puller and waited until the first day out this season to replace the impeller. I am so glad I spent the $ for the puller. I've had 2 impellers crap themselves on the lake in the LXI. I always go out with a spare but now I have the puller on board becuase of the V-drive. A pair of screwdrivers just don't work well with that set up. An impeller switch on my V-drive now takes under 15 minutes. Best advice (if you own a V-drice) is to buy a decent puller and use it once a year and have it to reduce emergency downtimes. I think I spent about $50 for it but if that will save me time and a whole heap of trouble every year, I consider that a good investment. Most of the time is now spent removing and installing screws as pulling the impeller takes 2 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was so worried about not over tightening the screws that I went out last weekend, and one fell out and the others were loose, and there was water leaking everywhere. I am sure glad they had one at the marina. So how tight do you go?

So I was so worried about not over tightening the screws that I went out last weekend, and one fell out and the others were loose, and there was water leaking everywhere. I am sure glad they had one at the marina. So how tight do you go?

I go to "snug" and then go just a hair tighter. So far, so good. Really, though, as long as the

raw water pump isn't leaking once water is circulating, they are tight enough.

I go to "snug" and then go just a hair tighter. So far, so good. Really, though, as long as the

raw water pump isn't leaking once water is circulating, they are tight enough.

They were fine the last time out / at least at the start of the day, but this time, they backed out. I will re check them.

• 1 month later...

anyone know the specs on the screws? Can I get them from Lowes or Home Depot or should I order it through my dealer. Found that I'm missing one and the plate is leaking,must have backed out and rolled around someplace because I can't find it in the bilge.

anyone know the specs on the screws? Can I get them from Lowes or Home Depot or should I order it through my dealer. Found that I'm missing one and the plate is leaking,must have backed out and rolled around someplace because I can't find it in the bilge.

Don't know what thread pattern they are but take one into Lowes and ask the hardware counter guy for a match. If they don't have it they can ususally direct to a local house that would carry them.

• 9 months later...

Bringing this post back up... I changed my impeller the other day and when i tightened the screws i went hand tight and then with a wrench another 1/2 a turn on all 4. I went out to the lake to test it and evrything was looking good during warm up. So I went to take a lap and the first minute or two the temp was fine so I was just cruising. Then I heard the alarm... Critical engine temp of just over 200. So I instantly shut it down and looke in the hull where i saw the plate to the pump was gone! So I spent the next hour searching the bilge for all the parts, which thank god I found, and put it back on. All the brass bolts went in fine and the threads looked good so I can only imagine that they all backed out. Does anyone use locktite on them or should I just torque them down a little more? And the motor seemed to run good after that and all the temps were good. Also the bolts didnt back out any more on the way back to the docks.

Bringing this post back up... I changed my impeller the other day and when i tightened the screws i went hand tight and then with a wrench another 1/2 a turn on all 4. I went out to the lake to test it and evrything was looking good during warm up. So I went to take a lap and the first minute or two the temp was fine so I was just cruising. Then I heard the alarm... Critical engine temp of just over 200. So I instantly shut it down and looke in the hull where i saw the plate to the pump was gone! So I spent the next hour searching the bilge for all the parts, which thank god I found, and put it back on. All the brass bolts went in fine and the threads looked good so I can only imagine that they all backed out. Does anyone use locktite on them or should I just torque them down a little more? And the motor seemed to run good after that and all the temps were good. Also the bolts didnt back out any more on the way back to the docks.

I do the same installing mine but i do re-tighten the screws after running the boat of the hose for the first time each year

I've had no problems

Wow, scary stuff. Glad to hear you found all the parts & it went back together OK. I've never heard of this happening.

How did your gasket look?

Never heard of using Locktite either. Might be worth a call to an inboard mechanic.... Skidim.com, your local dealer or Indmar?

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

The gasket looked fine. I've left two messages at the dealer with no returns, but they're not to far so I might just run down there and ask them. I just hope nothing happened to the engine from overheating.

I just did my first re-install last weekend on an LSV.

The removal was easy last fall - I invested in the puller from Bakes.

I installed a new impeller and saved the old one as a spare.

The reason to remove the old one for the winter is to keep it warm and keep it from drying out and becoming brittle from freezing temperatures. Seems like pretty cheap insurance to anyone who has had an impeller fail when out on the water (raises hand).

The LSV is difficult to get at because of the silent rider, but I just positioned myself on the floor of the boat, feet up under the rear seats, with everything in a small tray to be ready. A headlight flashlight is a big help.

I think my install took less than 10 minutes after i got into place.

I did not do the zip-tie around the impeller trick - i need to add that to my notes because that would have been a help.