Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tire Pressure?

Tire has a max of 65 this sounds high to me.

Thats sounds about right for a radial with a "D" load rating. My old Bias ply trailer tires had a psi of 35 , My 3/4ton truck is around 85psi

Sounds like my load range 'D' Goodyear Marathons (also on a Boatmate trailer). If that is the case, then you want to run 65psi (cold) pressure in them.

Edited by rts

Sounds like my load range 'D' Goodyear Marathons (also on a Boatmate trailer). If that is the case, then you want to run 65psi (cold) pressure in them.

Thanks for the info I will get them the rest of the way up before we hit the lake tomorrow.

REW

If they are Goodyear Marathons, your best bet is to run them at the max cold inflation pressure (65psi cold for load range 'D')

Per the following chart from Goodyear, if you run at a lower pressure, you are decreasing the maximum load your tires can carry

Load/Pressure table from Goodyear

Looks like the tires used on the new Boatmate trailers are Trail America Radial ST brand?

Never heard of them but that is from the factory.

Specs on sidewall say Load C Cold Psi 50

Anybody else every heard of these? Looks like they are made by JCA Corp.

Edited by Tedro

Well, you should go by what is on the side of your particular tires. Also, on the inboard side of the trailer frame, starboard side, toward the front, there are various placards. One of them lists tire load, size, and pressure.

My Boatmate has the Trail America radial ST, but load is D and pressure is 65.

Well, you should go by what is on the side of your particular tires. Also, on the inboard side of the trailer frame, starboard side, toward the front, there are various placards. One of them lists tire load, size, and pressure.

My Boatmate has the Trail America radial ST, but load is D and pressure is 65.

Is yours tandem or single axle?

A reminder to anyone who is running Goodyear Marathon "ST" tires - You need to run 10 psi above the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire. This is necessary if you are going to traveling in excess of 65 MPH, which I have caught myself doing from time to time. Whistling.gif

See the attached service bulletin from Goodyear.

Goodyear_Marathon.pdf

Tire pressure is something you take for granted until you have a problem. The number one cause of trailer tire failure is low pressure. Low pressure = heat, and heat kills tires. Trust me you have no idea how helpless you feel after you have a blowout in the middle of nowhere and are faced with either leaving your boat behind or spending the night somewhere you would rather not. Also, don't think you don't need a spare just because you have a tandem axle and the boat didn't come with one.