Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wax info

Looking for some info on a good wax for my boat. I'm thinking of stripping off all the old wax and starting over. Would like to pick up the wax locally if possible.

Ideas and suggestions?

I put a coat of nufinish, which is more of a polish, based on some things I read on this board. Got to say I am still looking for a good polish. The two I am interested in is the zymol marine wax and the collinite Wax.

Really, unless you are going to go way off the deep end and spend thousands and thousands of dollars on maintaining the finish on your boat, it doesn't really matter what you choose, as long as you put something on there.

You should be able to find Meguiars no matter where you live, and 3M products would also be another good choice.

Another one that I've looked at (but haven't tried) is the Turtle Wax Ice lineup. The thing that intrigued me about it (as I recall) is that it claims that it dries clear & didn't have the white residue around decals & other trim items the way that traditional wax does (the buildup drives me nuts). I think it's teflon based though, so I'm not sure about that. But otherwise, skicrave's right. Any good wax will do the same basic thing. The rule of thumb is, the harder it is to apply & buff out, the longer it will last. :)

Looking for some info on a good wax for my boat. I'm thinking of stripping off all the old wax and starting over. Would like to pick up the wax locally if possible.

Ideas and suggestions?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/category/car+care/car+waxing.do

This place is great. I purchased their polisher, pads, and polishes. It makes really quick work of keeping a black boat looking good.

Really, unless you are going to go way off the deep end and spend thousands and thousands of dollars on maintaining the finish on your boat, it doesn't really matter what you choose, as long as you put something on there.

You should be able to find Meguiars no matter where you live, and 3M products would also be another good choice.

I like Meguires, I use to use the 3M wax but with years of buildup , it started to yellow a bit.

martinarcher
I put a coat of nufinish, which is more of a polish, based on some things I read on this board. Got to say I am still looking for a good polish. The two I am interested in is the zymol marine wax and the collinite Wax.

I use Collinites Liquid Insulator Wax (No. 845) on our boat. What a fantastic wax. It lasts a really long time compared to others I have used and adds a nice deep shine to the boat. I have never seen water bead quite like it does on a boat that has been waxed with it. After pulling up beside my uncles Malibu and my wifes friend's pontoon boat this summer they both commented on how the water just would not stick to our boat and sheeted right off. They both are now using it on their boats and love it. Thumbup.gif

I use Collinites Liquid Insulator Wax (No. 845) on our boat. What a fantastic wax. It lasts a really long time compared to others I have used and adds a nice deep shine to the boat. I have never seen water bead quite like it does on a boat that has been waxed with it. After pulling up beside my uncles Malibu and my wifes friend's pontoon boat this summer they both commented on how the water just would not stick to our boat and sheeted right off. They both are now using it on their boats and love it. Thumbup.gif

I'm interested, how many applications per season do you apply, how large is the price tag?

I have used collinites no 925 on my old boat and used it on the malibu I just bought. Imo its the best wax,it lasts a long time,has a very high gloss ad its easy to apply and buff off by hand.

The 925 and 845 are the same product, with different labels.

Edited by AzSyndicate
martinarcher

I'm interested, how many applications per season do you apply, how large is the price tag?

I put it on twice a year. I guess three since I usually reapply it in the spring when the boat comes out of storage. It certainly doesn't need it but I need to get her shined up while I wait for the water to warm up!

I get it at the local hardware/auto parts store for around 13 bucks. It is a fantastic product and is easy to apply and remove by hand. The guy we bought the boat from had been waxing it with Collinites for 15 years. It was a selling point for me since I have always used it on our cars and love the results and protection it offers.

Give it a shot. You'll like it!

I respond to this thread every year. This year I'll change the perspective a little. If you are anal enough about your boat to inquire about what waxes that are best, you probably wipe your boat down after every use. So here's what I have done on the last three bu's. I mix distilled water and liquid Turtle wax in a spray bottle. Usually about 2/3 water to 1/3 Turtle wax so it will not gum up the spray tip. If the boat is in the sun the spray will dry quickly thats why I use distilled water, it won't water spot. Then, I wipe the boat down with a damp towel while LS-Two does the interior. The boat always looks like I just waxed it and, it doesn't take much longer then just wiping it down.

LS One, have you compared the results of your home mixture to that of Babes boat products? I currently use the lime green stuff on the outside and the blue on the inside every time I come off the water. My boat personally sees a lot of water time, as a result if I put a good full wax on it, generally it seems to be gone within 2 weeks (visually). The Babes stuff seems like a nice way to continually put something on the hull without the frustration of all your efforts being for not.

martinarcher
Just bought some of the Collinite Insulator Wax #845. We'll see how it goes! Thanks for the suggestions!

Sweet! Let me know how you like it. I think you'll be a fan after trying it.

I waxed my boat a couple weeks ago and used McGiures Marine grade because I read somewhere you should use a wax approved for gel coat, not clear coat. I really do not know if this is true but thats what I did anyway.

Probably did not need to wax anyway because like LS-One, I use a spray on wax (marine grade) everytime we leave the water when we wipe it down, never any water spots and looks new (well its pretty new anyway, just got it last year). But I noticed even at the end of last season water still beaded off the hull, so that spray on stuff works pretty well.

I think I will rewax next time only if the hull needs some polishing or buffing.

LS One, have you compared the results of your home mixture to that of Babes boat products? I currently use the lime green stuff on the outside and the blue on the inside every time I come off the water. My boat personally sees a lot of water time, as a result if I put a good full wax on it, generally it seems to be gone within 2 weeks (visually). The Babes stuff seems like a nice way to continually put something on the hull without the frustration of all your efforts being for not.

I too use the green stuff and would like to know if you have done a comparison. At least the green and blue stuff smell good :)

Lotsa comments about keeping your BUs shiny and looking new, but what would you recommend for buffing up the gelcoat to get BACK TO that factory fresh look? I have some light hazing on my darker colors and am trying to get it back to glossy with good pop. I've tried some things in my garage and products suited for gelcoat seem to do better. Just wondering if there is a good marine product versus an automotive product. I use Zainos products on my land based vehicles.

I use Zainos products on my land based vehicles.

Not to hijack thread, but "+1" Zaino for vehicles!!! Awesome Stuff!!

Okay...back to boat wax talk.... I'm currnently using Collinite Hull Cleaner and Meguiars Premium Wax.

Edited by davemac
Lotsa comments about keeping your BUs shiny and looking new, but what would you recommend for buffing up the gelcoat to get BACK TO that factory fresh look? I have some light hazing on my darker colors and am trying to get it back to glossy with good pop. I've tried some things in my garage and products suited for gelcoat seem to do better. Just wondering if there is a good marine product versus an automotive product. I use Zainos products on my land based vehicles.

Hey Gumbus,

FYI, your post prompted me to email Zaino to inquire about marine applications. Sal Zaino responded that the "All in One" Z-AIO product is gelcoat safe and "will stand up to saltwater and UV rays longer than anything you've ever used" (obviously I'm not concerned about the exposure to saltwater). I had never noticed before, but their website shows Z-AIO to be suitable for boats.

I can't speak from experience....yet, but I do plan on finding out how it works on the Bu. The All In One product is what I've been using on my vehicles for a while now, and the stuff rocks!! Lasts far longer than anything else I've ever tried (along w/ easy application, removal, and no residue)

• 5 months later...

....Okay, reporting back 6 months later, after using the Zaino AIO (All in one) product for the season. Lets just say that Sal Zaino is a competent and honest man.

I pulled the boat for the season yesterday and no less than 3 people at the marina commented/asked how I was able to keep the bottom so clean.

Granted, the boat is out of water (on trailer) when not in use most of the season, but it was kept in the water three straight weeks in July, and for the month of September. I have a long handled soft brush, that I occassionally hit the waterline with. Frankly, the Zaino blew away my expectations.

I've used this stuff on my cars for several years. At first glance, it appears to be a touch pricey...but when you factor in how sparingly you apply it, how it lasts exponentially longer than other waxes, and how easily it applies and removes w/out residue....it is a fantastic buy. I buy it online at zainostore.com

Here are some pics of the hull. Keep in mind that I pulled the boat after skiing yesterday, and brought it straight home. I haven't even hit it w/ the power washer yet.

Obviously, I am a believer, and will be using Zaino again next year.

post-5162-1254572697_thumb.jpg

post-5162-1254572714_thumb.jpg

post-5162-1254572742_thumb.jpg

Hands down the best synthetic wax for boats is Klasse. The best pure wax for boats is Fleet Wax by Collinite. If I were you, I would lay down 4 coats of Klasse and then do a final coat or two of the FleetWax. Leave each coat of Klasse on for about 24 hours. Zaino is the bomb but I think it is stricktly for cars and not to mention the price is pretty high. Also I'm not a big fan of mixing the hardener with the polish. You can pick up Collinite FleetWax at a boat store but Klasse will need to be ordered online.

Edited by MexTex

Has anyone on here tried the clay bar on their gelcoat, I trailer the Bu a lot of miles in a year, so it sees it's fair share of road grime. In the spring I was planning on doing some wet sanding to get some minor scratches and rash cleaned up, wondering if I should clay bar, sand, polish, and wax, in that order?

lso I'm not a big fan of mixing the hardener with the polish.

As a point of clarification, Zaino no longer needs mixing. A single bottle of the AIO "All In One" product is all that is needed .