Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

BI Fly High Pylon Protector

Hydrogasm

I just got a used BI Fly High SS 2 pc extended pylon for '02 Malibu Response LX and the fellow I bought it from lost the pylon protector. He told me he used a towel over the factory pylon. I tried a piece of a flanelette blanket over the pylon but it doesn't allow it to go all the way down into place. Any suggestions. Let me know.

Thanks

Gary

heavy duty clear tape...

I forget what its called exactly, but its more like plastic with an adhesive backing.

you can buy it by the roll, so it should work no problem and you won't even notice it. just have to replace it every few years maybe as it gets nicked.

Edited by H20ski Dude

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I have a skylon 2 piece plyon and the base of the plyon is about 1-2" from the floor. The ski eye hook won't allow it to slide all the way down. Probably not your problem, but thought I'd share.

Also, you could try calling skyon or BI. I have had to order parts from them before and they were pretty reasonable.

Mine has 2 rubber o-rings about 3 inches apart, a half inch from the bottom. I got replacements from BI, when one ripped. I still could use some protection. The pylon (tapered part) gets nicked when I'm sliding it on.

The Fly High that I have has a slalom ring that is through bolted to the lower section. When you put the section without any thing on the pylon, it stops when the bottom bolt touches the top of the center pylon. With the rag in there, it stays up 3 or 4 inches. I like the idea of putting clear tape on it because it would protect it when I use my barefoot boom as well. Any idea where I might find some clear tape. I will also contact BI to see how much a replacement sleeve would cost as well.

Thanks

Gary

Well stocked locations that sell auto body paint supplies usually have some quantity of the 3M clear film (tape) used as an overcoating of painted surfaces to protect them from damage by rock chips. I have personally used this tape with great success in the situation you are speaking of. I use a Skylon as a pylon extender on my Flightcraft. When the plastic sleeve material provided with the pylon began to wear excessively, I used this "tape" around the areas of my pylon that the interior of the Skylon contacted. Worked for me like a charm. Retail locations for the 3M Clearbra line should have this also. FYI the plastic sleeve material like that used in the Skylon can also be found through companies who market protective wrapping and such for the machine shop industry. A quick tour through a large machine shop of the CNC variety will provide you a look at various versions of what I am talking about. This expansive plastic sleeving is used to protect finely machined surfaces from scratches and such during the manufacturing process. Hope this helps

MMF

Edited by multiplemalibufamily

I contacted my local NAPA Auto Parts store and ordered some 6" wide 3M clear tape. Hopefully it will be wide enough to go around the pylon vertically, so there will be no horizontal seams for the Fly High to catch on. It is supposed to be here tomorrow. When I get it installed on my pylon, I let you know how it worked out.

Thanks

Gary

Got the clear film and installed it yesterday. I think will do the trick just fine. I bought the 6" wide X 84" roll, so I will be able to do it a few times if it gets damaged.

Thanks

Gary