Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boom w/Extension comments

martho

Well,

I got everything hooked up and ready to hit the water this weekend. The weather in northern IL has been horrible so far and Sat will be the first day on the water which is a very late start for me.

I put on the beemans boom with extension in the driveway and everything fits and sits where it is supposed to sit.

However, I noticed that the extension makes for a lot of leverage at the end of the boom. With other booms, I never thought twice about crawling out from the boat on the boom. While I don't believe the beemans would snap, it sure bows a lot and has to put a lot of upward pressure on the pylon since the side of the boat acts as a fulcrum.

Anyone who is using the beemans with the extension still crawl out on the boom?

Just got an extension to my Bemman's this week, can't wait to try it out. Peter at SWS is a huge user / supporter of their products, I can't see how it'd be an issue.

Peter was a great help in the purchase of this boom. Overall, the boom looks like a solid product.

I was just curious about the bend. I agree that it shouldn't be an issue, but when a 200# guy like me crawls out to end of that boom, there has to be a lot of weight at the pylon. We've all heard the saying, give me a lever long enough, and I can move the world. I just don't want to move my pylon upward :)

I have not had a problem yet. I have a Skylon boom with a BI extension, it does have some flex but I have had three men barefooting (the lightest of the three weighed about 160 lbs) on it at the same time, all crawled/stepped out of the boat and the boom held. I think I have a picture in one of my albums, can't quite figure out how to get the pic from my album to this post but it is there.

Peter was a great help in the purchase of this boom. Overall, the boom looks like a solid product.

I was just curious about the bend. I agree that it shouldn't be an issue, but when a 200# guy like me crawls out to end of that boom, there has to be a lot of weight at the pylon. We've all heard the saying, give me a lever long enough, and I can move the world. I just don't want to move my pylon upward :)

I am no physics major but it seems to me that if the boom is bending because of your weight on it that there would be less upward pressure on the pylon versus the solid boom that isn't bending as much, thus concentrating your weight on the gunnel and pylon. I think the boom along its length is taking the load rather than at one point. Whether I am right to think that, I don't know, but I am sure that the beemans product is top notch and I personally wouldn't give it another thought. It is super strong even though it bends, but it's hollow and is supposed to bend. Just my two cents.

Try not to laugh and or cry...I've used the Bemman Boom for an entire season at 260 and I use it with

one of my daughters or a friend on the surfboard with me at times. Yes, as you can imagine there is a bend to the boom and no I'm not behind the boat but it does bend especially getting out of the water. No problems at all and I would recommend Bemmans or Smoothwaterman to anyone on the site. Good Luck!!! And as far as climbing out to the end of the boom...possible but I usually dive in a reach up or have someone lean over the side of the boat, dip the boom in and your good to go.

Edited by CLOUT1

Thanks.

I am not worried about the weight/flex while skiing. That doesn't bother me one bit as the cable takes the load and this was never my concern.

I also agree that the bend will reduce the upward load on the pylon somewhat.

I used the boom on Sat and there were no issues. However, none of us crawled out while the boat was moving or to get started.

I will give that a whirl next time.

As you have likely noticed when it's in the water the boat is allowed to tilt, where as on the trailer you can really make it flex.

If you want to see a boom flex, install a gunnel mount boom where the attachment points are 8' apart. The middle flexes up as the outer section does down....whoa baby!

I've asked Rob Bemman about it and as long as it doesn't bother him then I'm good with it. :)

I'm a fan of it's great ease of use.... I'm not opposed to finding better mousetraps, just bear that in mind.

Peter :)