Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine help

My boat has been getting hot. Here is everything I replaced:

Impeller

Water pump/circulator

Thermostat

All cooling hoses

Pick up hose

Checked trans cooler screen

Temp sensor

Took boat out today and it ran at 180 degrees. Here and there it bumped up to 200. Also, took off from the no wake bouys and the boat would only go 30 MPH! I drove at about 3000 RPM and all of the sudden the boat reved up and ran normal. So I gunned it and in about a minute it went back down to 30 MPH. I talked to my dad who used to be a mechanic and he told me that I have a clogged fuel filter. He said the clogged fuel filter would cause all the issues I am having.

Any other ideas?? This boat has given me a headache since I have bought it.

My boat has been getting hot. Here is everything I replaced:

Impeller

Water pump/circulator

Thermostat

All cooling hoses

Pick up hose

Checked trans cooler screen

Temp sensor

Took boat out today and it ran at 180 degrees. Here and there it bumped up to 200. Also, took off from the no wake bouys and the boat would only go 30 MPH! I drove at about 3000 RPM and all of the sudden the boat reved up and ran normal. So I gunned it and in about a minute it went back down to 30 MPH. I talked to my dad who used to be a mechanic and he told me that I have a clogged fuel filter. He said the clogged fuel filter would cause all the issues I am having.

Any other ideas?? This boat has given me a headache since I have bought it.

Retarded Ignition Timing can cause high temps and lack of power. Changing the fuel filter is always a good place to start but I doubt it is causing the temp prob. The lack of power could very well be caused by a clogged filter.

Check back near the fuel tank. If like the 99 Rsponse, there is a primary fuel filter there and a secondary on the engine. Replace both, Cheap and easy block to check off.What engine and how long have you had boat? What other problems? Are there any appliances such as shut off valve or hose connectors between the pickup screen and the raw water pump that may be blocked?

Could have a collapsed inner wall of the exhaust hose causing the temp issue...could also be causing your reduced power issues. I had an 89 Supra with similar symptoms that I finally traced to the exhaust hose. I did not replace the hose, just cleared it out and had no other issues.

I have ran the engine with no thermostat and it ran at 140, and I believe that the exhaust hose is the original.

Edited by cstello

cstello, I finally suspected a blockage of some kind when I stood on the dock and had someone drive away...port side exhaust had lots of water coming out and starboard basically the same as at idle in the driveway.

clogged fuel filter will have affect on the engine temp if its causing a lean condition. Cheap and easy to replace and if they have not been replaced in a while could cause all your issues. Like others said check air in and air out(clean air filter, unrestricted exhaust) and timing.

clogged fuel filter will have affect on the engine temp if its causing a lean condition. Cheap and easy to replace and if they have not been replaced in a while could cause all your issues. Like others said check air in and air out(clean air filter, unrestricted exhaust) and timing.

not by 20 degrees.......probably not even noticable on the gauge.

not by 20 degrees.......probably not even noticable on the gauge.

not at idle, but in a higher rpm i assure you you can achieve 20+ degrees in heat. Im not saying it is the fuel filter, Im just saying it can most defiantly have an effect on the temp. Working on a boat right now that is having the same issue. The owner has replaced every cooling system part in the boat and never even considered the fuel or ignition. A dirty carb and a miss adjusted fuel press reg were causing a 45 degree increase in temp at 4000rpm. New fuel filter, adjust fuel pressure, rebuild carb and he is good to go, he cant believe he spent over $600 replaceing water pumps, hoses, thermostat's and time off the water and never thought about the fuel.

Edited by txwakejunkie
How do you adjust the fuel pressure? My boat is EFI

you don't on your boat. that would be for a carbed boat only. On efi if the fuel pres reg goes out you just replace it. That is most likely not your problem though. It wouldnt hurt to check your fuel pressure, you will need a guage to mount to the valve on the fuel rail.

give us some more info on your boat. How many hours does it have on it? have you replaced anything on it like the fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor? has the boat had anything major replaced that you know of? (head gaskets, headers, any reason for removing the intake, or anything else)

Edited by txwakejunkie
Where would you start TXwakejunkie? Fuel filters and exhaust hose?

I would start with the fuel filters, and like sethro said, have someone drive your boat off while you watch and see if there is a big difference from one side to the other in output. (I never done that but it doesnt sound like a bad idea) have someone drive your boat while you look to see that none of your coolant hoses are collapsing under higher rpms.(shouldnt be since they are new) Make sure your pickup on the bottom of the boat is clear, start with the simple stuff.

Edited by txwakejunkie

Ok, here is an update:

I just pulled off the exhaust hoses and the inner liner of one of them has came apart and collapsed. Not sure when I will have time to fix it but I hope that this is what is causing all my issues!

Ok, here is an update:

I just pulled off the exhaust hoses and the inner liner of one of them has came apart and collapsed. Not sure when I will have time to fix it but I hope that this is what is causing all my issues!

Very likely.

Ok, here is an update:

Well good, glad you got it figured out. Thumbup.gif

I would still change your filter as the running symptoms are classic clogged fuel filter symtoms as your dad has stated.

I did change out the fuel filter. The funny thing is I live in Lake Havasu and it seems like no one here carries any ski boat parts! I can't find any 3.5 inch corrugated exhaust hose at all. This sucks!

I did change out the fuel filter. The funny thing is I live in Lake Havasu and it seems like no one here carries any ski boat parts! I can't find any 3.5 inch corrugated exhaust hose at all. This sucks!

Is it corrugated?