Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Temperature Gauge

Does anyone know what would be causing my temperature to drop down to stone cold when I run 20MPH-25MPH or faster? When I am at idle or go around 5-10MPH my needle on the tempeature gauge goes up to half way on the gauge. I do not have a temperature reading so I do not know the exact temperature. As I said before, when I go 20MPH-25MPH or faster, the needle drops back down to stone cold, then back up when I slow down (the engine is not overheating). I have put in a new t-stat and even checked it in boiling water to make sure it works properly. I have also put in a new temp. sensor. I have no idea what could be causing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The engine is a 2000 Volvo Penta V8 305 5.0L GXI

Thanks,

Cole

Edited by FFCole411

Are you the original owner of the boat? If not, it sounds to me like someone replaced a temperature sender with a temperature switch. The switch would be used if you had an idiot light instead of a gauge. Did you just replace what was in there? Or did you research for the proper part #?

I went down to my local boat mechanic and he was the one who looked up the temp. sensor and gave me the part. I am not the original boat owner. Wish I was then I would know what was done to the boat.

Yesterday I went and bought a new temp. gauge. This one has the actual readings unlike my other one on the dash that just says cold and hot. I started my boat up last night and let it run for roughly 20mins. The temp. gauge got up to about 200 degrees. My t stat is rated for 160 degrees. Does anyone know what might cause the temp. to get so high? I would think with a t stat rated for 160 degrees it should stay right around that. I was in my driveway with the muffs on and was at an idle.

Thanks,

Cole

Edited by FFCole411

Went out today. The new temp. gauge got up to a little over 200degrees when idling, roughly 205 degrees. I shut it down and let it cool down a little.

When I gave it WOT the temp. gauge would drop down to roughly 155-160 degrees.

Also when I would put it in neutral and rev it up, the temp. would drop down.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Cole

water pump

collapses exhaust hoses

collapse risers

water pick up blockage

read the link i posted bro, it tells you what to look for my friend

I always use a infa-red temp gun also to make sure my gauge in the boat is correct

Thanks for the link. I will make a copy and give it to my mechanic. I am not mechanically inclined enough to do that myself.

Thanks again,

Cole