Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help!! Prop shaft fell out of vdive

Hi I need some help! I have a new to me 05 vlx and the prop shaft fell out of the vdrive well in the water. Just need some helping understanding how the shaft works. It looks like there is threads on the end of the shaft and the shear key was in one piece sitting in the bilge. It feels like there is a nut in the area where the shaft goes back into the vdrive. I'm assuming I need to put anew key on the shaft and screw the nut back on the end. Did this nut just back off and the shaft fell out or what? Has anyone have this happen before? Any help would be awsome!!

I've got a direct drive so I'm not sure but, I assume V-drives also have a coupler between the forward end of the prop shaft & the V-drive (that is what the nut your'e touching is inside of) If it's similar to on direct drive, take four nuts off bolts thru coupler, remove bolts, might need to tap on rear half of coupler to seperate. Shaft & key into coupler, blue loctite on forward shaft nut, tighten nut, reasemble coupler. I'll try & find some torque specs. Let me know if that is indeed the setup. Good luck.

Awsome thanks for the help!! I got the coupler off ( 4 - 9/16" bolts) and the nylock nut was sitting in it. No damage to shaft threads, nut or coupler. I do need a new key way pin though, any idea what size, can i go to the local auto store or do I have to order this special. Next question is I assume the set screw sets against the nylock nut? Thanks again!

Unless the key is all chewed up, follow coupler to shaft fit directions from Marine Hardware. Call them directly for the answers including torque specs for coupler nut and mounting bolts. Nothing better than getting info directly from the manufacturer, IMO. Let us know what they say & how repair goes.

The set screw tightens up against one of the flats on the shaft nut. Make sure to loctite the set screw in place. Elbert's also has a drawing of the assembly if needed. All the hardware is stainless or brass to prevent corrosion.