Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Auto Right Turn after Steering Cable Install

I read all the threads here and installed a new steering cable on my 98 Response LX. Fairly straitforward if you pull a rope thru and turn the wheel full left before disconnecting the rack in order to retract the stern end of the cable.

I took the boat out afterwards and it now steers with ease. Difference between night and day. I adjusted the cable at the threaded holdown at the rear so I got close to equal number of turns on the wheel between straight-right and straight-left. Then I adjusted the steering wheel position by a combination of removing the wheel and loosening the bolts holding the rack under the dash (probably a little to anal).

So here's my problem - The boat tracks fine until I get to a certain speed and then the wheel pulls to the right. Not to hard, but if you don't have your hand on the wheel it goes full right and the boat does a hard right turn. With your hand on the wheel its not hard to control, but is kinda a nuisance. The steering is so easy now that there isn't enough resistance in the system to overcome the prop torque at higher speeds.

I did a search on "rudder trim tab" and didn't find any posts related to this. My rudder doesn't even seem to have a trim tab.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution? Or do I just make sure I keep my hands on the wheel (smile)?

Thanks,

I read all the threads here and installed a new steering cable on my 98 Response LX. Fairly straitforward if you pull a rope thru and turn the wheel full left before disconnecting the rack in order to retract the stern end of the cable.

I took the boat out afterwards and it now steers with ease. Difference between night and day. I adjusted the cable at the threaded holdown at the rear so I got close to equal number of turns on the wheel between straight-right and straight-left. Then I adjusted the steering wheel position by a combination of removing the wheel and loosening the bolts holding the rack under the dash (probably a little to anal).

So here's my problem - The boat tracks fine until I get to a certain speed and then the wheel pulls to the right. Not to hard, but if you don't have your hand on the wheel it goes full right and the boat does a hard right turn. With your hand on the wheel its not hard to control, but is kinda a nuisance. The steering is so easy now that there isn't enough resistance in the system to overcome the prop torque at higher speeds.

I did a search on "rudder trim tab" and didn't find any posts related to this. My rudder doesn't even seem to have a trim tab.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution? Or do I just make sure I keep my hands on the wheel (smile)?

Thanks,

That's torque steer and is normal. Newer boats have an adjustable piece on the rudder to compensate for it. You could file your rudder down to compensate for the torque steer. There was an article on here that talked about how to do it, I'm sure someone will dig it up for you.

Thanks,

Your rudder is designed to have some torque steer, it gives you something to hold against which promotes straighter paths thru the slolom course.

because your cable is new and has less friction, you are now feeling what was always there. Don't worry about it and don't let go of the wheel at high speed.

I don't know squat about this, but I do know that rudder bushings wear out. Give that rudder a shake and see what's up. The guy I sold my last boat to was a marine mechanic. He showed me how bad the bushings were. I had no idea.

• 4 years later...

Is it normal for it also to be harder to steer left then right? It is very easy to turn right with one finger & I need to use the hand to turn left. It is not super stiff or requiring of a ton of muscle but deff not as easy as turning right. Also, my steering wheel is upside when going straight?

Your steering wheel has nothing to do with the position of the cable. If the cable is installed correctly (same turns lock to lock from a "staright" rudder, just adjust the wheel on the hub.

Your steering wheel has nothing to do with the position of the cable. If the cable is installed correctly (same turns lock to lock from a "staright" rudder, just adjust the wheel on the hub.

Thank you. Just so I make sure I got it, if the steering wheel & the rudder turn equally left & right jut adjust the steering wheel position nothing else? I am pretty sure that is the case.

Can someone tell me if the boat is supposed to turn buttery smooth both directions or is what I got going on normal?

Both my Malibu's were smooth regardless of turning the wheel left or right and the resistance was the same in both directions if the boat was sitting still with no prop rotation.

However both also required a little more effort turning to the left when moving. It started to be more noticable as speed went up. The difference wasn't absurd just slight. As others stated both board had a slight pull to the right, my old boat did not have an adjustable tab on the rudder and the comments above apply to a neutrally set tab on an adjustable rudder.

I think what your describing is normal feeling.