Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How many took a wave over the bow last year ?

DONTW8

How many took a wave over the bow ?  

249 members have voted

1. 1. I'm a dorkfish and put water in my boat because

• I wasn't paying enough attention
    • I had passengers up front and misjudged
    • I was checking out the bikinis in my boat
    • I had a couple of beers
    • I'm absolutely perfect and never mess up.
    • Anybody who takes a wave over the bow is incompetent.
    • Hey ! Lighten up, I'm on vacation.
    • Dagnab surfer wake swamped my low rider.
    • Nope. I own one of them high freeboard boats.

On another thread it was stated that anybody who took water over the bow is incompetent. I've owned boats since 1972 and with my low profile bow I take on water at least once a year. For me the odds are high I will again this year. The proliferation of wake boats both surf and wakeboard just increase my chances.

Edited by DONTW8
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• txwakejunkie

• CrazyTegger

• mellen_mpz

• skyskier

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

need to add to the poll, on looker's caused a situation where it could not be avoided.

When we surf around here people love to come watch, so they will ride 25-40 yards away at the same speed and video or take pics. Mad.gif So when you end up with a boat on both sides of you and your rider goes down there is no way to avoid a wave, they are coming from every direction!!!

then we had a idiot in a massive rinker take a slow turn all the way around the boat while we were ideling past the beach area. The wave off of that boat was so big and so close that we could not avoid it. byby ipod in the floor Mad.gif

then of course we had the brain fart and turn into one once also. :Doh:

Edited by txwakejunkie

I just got my BU, came from a Chaparrall. Never really paid attention so hitting waves, now I do. Let just say I took a couple over the top and then figured out to not plow through them.

Stuff happens. I hate to admit one thing I liked about the M/C pickle fork I spent some time in. Damm near impossible to chili dip.

Edited by LS-One

Don't remember if it happened last year, but it has happened at least a dozen times. Quite a few of them in the first year we had the Malibu, 2003. Not a big deal to me since the only thing in the boat are passengers and their PFD's.

07' took a nice one from stewarts boat which I couldn't avoid and a few smaller ones that really didn't make anyone get excited.

08' took on three, one I was driving, two my stepson was driving, and third noone was in the drivers seat.

Ours just doesn't have the free board at times when the transom is high and more weight is in the front :) it's ok, it is a boat and we are around water

Hurry kids get back in the boat, oops too late they already got us... Sorry kids the towels are wet, ur gonna have to shake like the dog does...

martinarcher

Teaching my buddy to drive the boat and he brought her off plane right as we crossed our wake. Took a nice one up over the bow and onto the windshield. Need to add new driver to the poll. Whistling.gif

Edited by martinarcher

Bayliner. There, I said it. I owned a Bayliner for 20 years and only took water over the bow once. The roller was massive. It happened to be the day after I installed the new carpet with water resistant glue. It was also the day I learned the difference between water resistant and waterproof. The carpet actually floated! I had little strings of still sticky glue everywhere! Carpet was history.

The new Bu has taken one good hit, but I was not driving.

Don't remember if it happened last year, but it has happened at least a dozen times. Quite a few of them in the first year we had the Malibu, 2003. Not a big deal to me since the only thing in the boat are passengers and their PFD's.

Your passengers wear their PFD's full time? hee hee.......there is a bad driver joke in there somewhere. Thumbup.gif

No worries man, my crew won't even let me drive my own boat!

Your passengers wear their PFD's full time? hee hee.......there is a bad driver joke in there somewhere. Thumbup.gif

Ruffdawg - too good :lol:

I uh.. "Chilli dipped" our bow last summer and soaked 3 passengers including my mom... and ruining a cellphone in the process. needless to say that I've been dunked plenty of times on the ol' campion, payback felt oh so good. High fives all around. Even my dad couldn't stop giggling.

Edited by CrazyTegger

After owning a driving a 94 MC 205 with 800 lbs of lead on board for 7 years, and n 88 PS190 for 5 yrs before that, the Vride is EASY to keep the bow from subbing. I don't believe I've subbed it yet...... of course now that I've said that, I'll make it happen soon enough.

I didn't but my buddy took mine for a dive. I was on the cell phone working so I watched it all in slow motion. That one put almost a foot of water on the floor and ruined 3 cell phones. He won't soon live that one down. :)

Edited by Helinut

my 92 flightcraft all the time with a boat full but this will be my third season with my response and so far not yet.

You need an option -- I did it on purpose so the headlights would come on!

It was a fantastic roller - I turned to her husband and said - watch this, Tonya is about to get soaked. To be fair tho, I wasn't expecting the second roller over the bow. And I had to laugh as my flip-flop floated past me w/ ankle deep water in the cockpit.

Anyone 12 and under knows to have their PFD on before boarding. Over 12, they carry them on board. We vacation with a group of about 70 people with 6 boats, so all gear is on the beach. Everyone is knowledgeable of the protocol. Children know the rules by the time they're 5.

edit;I'm not needed to drive the boat that much either any more.

Edited by electricjohn

I used to be a serial dipper, funny how big the rollers are after a few beers. But ive found a cure for that..... when buzzed make my buddies drive so when they take one over the front I can call them retards. haha

Mostly done on purpose. The first one over the bow and windshield was not on purpose though. Me Surfing 1st time, son driving, wife in port side seat. Forgot to tell son (13 years old at the time, been driving for 3 years by then) that you can't just turn around and come right back to downed rider. Air 75 deg water 60 deg, mom not happy. She got over it. Now usually only get water in boat when done intentionally. I can attest to Polk bow speakers being water resistant though. Mine are going on their 3rd year and I no longer worry about them getting wet. They are still going strong.

I can do it like an art form...

I think you need another option for the voting:

"I was drinking a beer, driving with one hand, blocked by a bikini, and not paying any attention to the roller headed towards me cause I turned around the wrong way and chili dipped my own wave"

-Dave

Used to do it with the old boat when there were people/ballast in the bow and we were surfing. Haven't (and doubt I ever will) take one over in the new boat. It just sits much higher in the water.