Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

04 Hyperlite TFD vs Obrien Demented?

stewart

Currently, I am riding an Obrien Player, which has been a pretty good board. The only thing I have noticed is that I can get wake 2 wake real easy, but not with a lot of height maybe 2 ft.

I am looking for a board which will throw me up a little higher. I am 6'2 and 230 lbs (on my way to 205 :) )

So.... I was looking at either the 141 Demented or the 04 141 TFD. Anybody ridden either one or both? Thanks.

I can't comment on either of those boards but would highly recommend you trying the GB Gonzales 142. Very smooth and good pop. Just my 2 cents.

Well I am pretty sure that I rode someone's TFD (Troy's perhaps?), so maybe I am qualified to answer... I still love my Demented. It is by far the most consistent ride I've ever had. I like the pop, the soft landings and the speed... The fin layout is great as well, even for riding finless (it has a good set of molded fins as well. On that same note, I think the TFD is a great board and rides well. It wouldn't be a tough decision for me however - right now, the demented is my board of choice... (You can get holdovers on ebay for very cheap as well!! The only thing that has changed in the past two years is the graphics.)

JZ

Stewart I have a '04 142 TFD DNA

You are welcome to check it out - I love the board, it is very smooth and consistent off the wake. If you are looking for more vertical pop, you may want to go to a 3 stage... though I have found them inconsistent, but I chalk that up to my skill ;)

You wanna ride it this weekend? I'll be gone this weekend, but Mom will be up here tonight, and I could send the board (w/o bindings if you want) down w/ her, and you could swing by there and pick it up

Let me know (you've got my number..) just need to know by mid afternoon

You are welcome to check it out - I love the board, it is very smooth and consistent off the wake.  If you are looking for more vertical pop, you may want to go to a 3 stage... though I have found them inconsistent, but I chalk that up to my skill ;)

You wanna ride it this weekend?  I'll be gone this weekend, but Mom will be up here tonight, and I could send the board (w/o bindings if you want) down w/ her, and you could swing by there and pick it up

What he said. The TFD probably won't give you the extra pop that you're looking for. Don't get me wrong, it's a great board, but when Joe moved from the TFD to the Byerly he couldn't believe the vertical difference that he could feel right from the start. I'm not sure about the other brands, but in HL probably a Premier or if you want more aggressive then a Byerly would be good ones to try out. The Era is the old Premier & that would be a good one to try as well. I don't know anything about the new State, but with all of the bleeding problems that they've had with that board I'd stay away. The 3DS is the old TFD. And if you want really aggressive, the Parks is the way to go. Surprised.gif

I think that Troy's got a Byerly sitting around, but it might not be big enough for you. He rides those little boards. :)

Edited by WakeGirl

You are welcome to check it out - I love the board, it is very smooth and consistent off the wake.  If you are looking for more vertical pop, you may want to go to a 3 stage... though I have found them inconsistent, but I chalk that up to my skill ;)

You wanna ride it this weekend?  I'll be gone this weekend, but Mom will be up here tonight, and I could send the board (w/o bindings if you want) down w/ her, and you could swing by there and pick it up

What he said. The TFD probably won't give you the extra pop that you're looking for. Don't get me wrong, it's a great board, but when Joe moved from the TFD to the Byerly he couldn't believe the vertical difference that he could feel right from the start. I'm not sure about the other brands, but in HL probably a Premier or if you want more aggressive then a Byerly would be good ones to try out. The Era is the old Premier & that would be a good one to try as well. If you want really aggressive, the Parks is the way to go. Surprised.gif

I think that Troy's got a Byerly sitting around, but it might not be big enough for you. He rides those little boards. :)

Sheesh Tracie, you do pay attention (except I ride 141/142's... which might be a bit big for me) I do have a 142 Byerly sitting around, it is a '02 DNA ... the model just before they went to the notched out ends.. But it should ride about the same, since I don't think they changed much else.

Stewart you're welcome to try that one too -

I have the Byerly '02 DNA also. For me, that board was the cause for all of my problems before I had my technique dialed in. It does have great pop and soft landings, but its slow as a dog and the pop is VERY inconsistent. That's just my opinion. Take it for what its worth. On that same note, I rode Joe's at the WoW and I don't think my technique struggled as much as it used to ;)

JZ

I have always loved my Premier (135), of course I have always ridden with wakes that are a little on the smaller side. After riding behind Troy's LSV Shocking.gif at Folsom & then Bullard's Shocking.gif I may look into a continuous rocker board for larger wakes. Biggrin.gif Of course, then I'd have to buy another slalom ski cause I can't have as many boards as I do sticks. Crazy.gif Someone might accuse me of being a wakeboarder. Crazy.gif

I love my 04 Demented, and would definately recommend it. I haven't ridden the TFD, so I can't compare the two. The Demented is by far the best board that I've ever owned, and would definately buy another one if something happened to this one.

I rode the TFD for two years, it is a great board with average pop, but an extremely forgiving character. My new Byerly kicks like a mule and doesn't forgive any mistakes. It does however throw me much, much higher. Biggrin.gif

Joe

• 3 years later...

Is there anybody out there who can weigh in on what the equivalent of these two boards are in 2008-09?

I'm probably going to buy a board over the off season. I love riding my brother's tfd, but after reading this thread, I'm thinking I might want something that provides a bit more pop. (I need all the help I can get behind my Lxi w/ no wedge). I weigh around 185 and I'm fairly comfortable going wake to wake from either direction. I want a board good for doing slides and surface tricks as well (tfd seems to work pretty good for that purpose).

Any help would be appreciated.

Is there anybody out there who can weigh in on what the equivalent of these two boards are in 2008-09?

I'm probably going to buy a board over the off season. I love riding my brother's tfd, but after reading this thread, I'm thinking I might want something that provides a bit more pop. (I need all the help I can get behind my Lxi w/ no wedge). I weigh around 185 and I'm fairly comfortable going wake to wake from either direction. I want a board good for doing slides and surface tricks as well (tfd seems to work pretty good for that purpose).

A person could go nuts trying to find a new board. I would consider the Liquid Force Lyman...

What about the TFD do you like? If it's the forgiving character & predictability, then look for a hybrid board - either a subtle 3 stage or aggressive continuous. That type of board tends to give you the best of both worlds. And I'll echo the Absolute comment, great board that is extremely versatile depending on the fin configuration that you go with. A HL Premier would also be a good choice with similar characteristics, but I didn't go with that one because I'd read consistent comments that the Absolute lands softer. Another good one with similar attributes to the Absolute that does land soft is the LF Witness.

The Demented was in Obrien's line up through 2007.

The TFD was replaced with the 3DS in 2005. 2005 Hyperlite 3DS

Stewart, Jessie rides the 07' 143 (and by the way, his riding has improved so much. He is landing 180's W2W on heel and toe side now) I rode it a few weeks ago and I was really impressed with the pop and stability on edge. I has great speed and tracks amazingly well in choppy conditions, much better than the O Brien I'm riding now. You can try his if you want and see what you think and when I get my new 141 Marek your more than welcomed to try that one. I spent a lot of time with Corey of Hyperlite and he recommended that board over all the boards he sells.

Edited by 68Slalom
What about the TFD do you like?

I find surface tricks very easy on it. Other than that, all I can say is that it just feels comfortable. The dang things are just so expensive that I'm not comfortable ordering something that I don't already know something about.

Looks like you can still find the 3ds. I'll probably end up just going with that.

Yes, it is a very loose board. I've ridden both & the Absolute is much "tighter", even without the fins. You could also try a HL Murray. The old TFD was basically a Belmont with no third center fin - it rode a little different, but the comfort thing & ability to break it loose for surface tricks that you're talking about makes them very, very similar. TFD evolved to the 3DS, & the Belmont evolved to the Murray. So either/any of those would probably feel good to you if that's what you like about the TFD.