Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best engine oil?

I was told I could go to synthetic oil after 100 hrs in my 2008 Malibu Response LXi. Is Mobil 1 still considered the best synthetic oil? The recommended weight for regular oil is 15w-40. Should I buy 15w-40 in a synthetic? Is it worth going synthetic? I put about 100 hrs a year on my boat and change the oil twice a year?

Thanks

I was told I could go to synthetic oil after 100 hrs in my 2008 Malibu Response LXi. Is Mobil 1 still considered the best synthetic oil? The recommended weight for regular oil is 15w-40. Should I buy 15w-40 in a synthetic? Is it worth going synthetic? I put about 100 hrs a year on my boat and change the oil twice a year?

Thanks

you will get about as many opinions on this as there are types of oil Whistling.gif Run what you like and change every 50 hours like you say youll be fine.

Many oils will work well, synthetics have certain advantages for the additional price you pay. Synthetics are less temperature sensitive, which is really not very important for a ski boat engine compared to the duty cycle of a car. Typically, the ski boat is not run short enough to have a condensation problem internally to the engine, but the actual running temperature is pretty low for the salt protection issue. The reduction in change interval and the reduction in friction and better protection are the advantages. I suggest, like on the other forum, to make sure you use a good oil filter. I would also suggest that annual oil / filter changes are done with synthetic oil usage, shorter with petroleum based. Getting the proper oil rating (SF, SG. . . ) is something you want to watch and make sure you get. Oils are much better now than in the past and the owners manual will have recommendations.

There are several very good oil and oil filter articles you can search on the web.

MalibuNation

I run Mobil 1 and there are a lot of boaters that run Amsoil ... ain't cheap. Shell Rotella (sp) is another popular brand.

Edited by MalibuNation

Todays conventional oils are so good that the only advantage synthetic has is extented oil change intervals. If you can run your boat 100+ hrs a season, synthetic may be for you.

I run Mobil 1 and there are a lot of boaters that run Amsoil ... ain't cheap. Shell Rotella (sp) is another popular brand.

Plus1.gif

Plus1.gif

Plus1.gif

Plus1.gif

Plus1.gif

Plus1.gifPlus1.gif

I run mobil 1 in everything i own. Ive ran mobil1 in my racecar for years what sold me i collapsed a lower rad hose one night with 6 or 8 to go i finished the race with the temp well over 300 figured for sure oil was burnt we drained it and it was still good that was enough testimonial for me.

My bored and stroked 4 wheeler over heats quickly with regular oil. Not with synthetic. Yeah, I know, apples/oranges.............but still.

Chevron DELO is what I run, good enough for diesels good enough for my boat...

Plus1.gif

Chevron Delo it is for me!!

The only 15-40 I can find is for diesel engines. So far, so good. Does anyone know of a down side to running the diesel oil in a gas engine?

As long as it has an "S" rated service (such as SM, SL, SJ), it is fine. The light duty diesel oils with the S rating are better anyway because they have a higher initial base (as opposed to acidic) number, commonly called a TBN number.