Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Storing boat

mcbean7

Just wondering what others are doing. When the boat is not being used (during the week) do you disconnect the batteries to prevent drainage?

If you have a Perko switch, should you turn it to the "OFF" position or leave it at position "1" or "2".

Thanks.

Just wondering what others are doing. When the boat is not being used (during the week) do you disconnect the batteries to prevent drainage?

If you have a Perko switch, should you turn it to the "OFF" position or leave it at position "1" or "2".

Thanks.

I dont know if i ever turn mine off, i just throw the batt charger/maintainer on there and let it do its work.

I have a onboard charger, however I don't get to keep my boat at home so it is in a storge unit with no power. I leave the pergo switch on and top it off the night before I go to the lake. I don't turn the batteries off because then I have to reset the clock, power wedge, etc. I have never had a problem.

Force of habit at the dealership, always turn the switch off and make sure there is a drain plug out since the bilge pump won't be powered up.

If you have a dual battery switch you might as well use it, at least switch it to the "house" position for storage if you don't want to turn them off so you reserve one battery for starting.

That's why so many people have switched to the battery switch and automatic charging relay, it automatically disconnects the two systems. Any you still have the option to turn the switch off if you want to.

-Paul

I disconnect mine and keep it on a maintenance charger. I disconnect because, I feel, leaving it hooked up could lead to electrolysis problems down the line......no proof on this

I'm in the same situation as NvBoarder (onboard charger, no power at storage facility). I'll continue to do what Wakegirl suggests...since it's working fine. I usually bring the boat home the night before to get things ready and hook it up for the night to top off batts.

I was told to turn it to "OFF" when storing so I thought I'd check with the Crew to see what others are doing.

Force of habit at the dealership, always turn the switch off and make sure there is a drain plug out since the bilge pump won't be powered up.

If you have a dual battery switch you might as well use it, at least switch it to the "house" position for storage if you don't want to turn them off so you reserve one battery for starting.

That's why so many people have switched to the battery switch and automatic charging relay, it automatically disconnects the two systems. Any you still have the option to turn the switch off if you want to.

-Paul

I was told by my dealer that the bilge pump should still be powered even if the Perko switch is turned to 'Off'. I assumed that it would not be if I turned it to 'Off'.

I have had continual problems with my battery system in my boat. Really the only significant problem I have had with the boat over the past 3 years. I have had battery 2 replaced once because it wouldn't hold a charge, and it is in that condition again. Battery one barely holds a charge, so I carry a portable jumper with me. During the season, I leave the Perko to '1' or 'All' while it is moored to allow the bilge to work. I have to turn it to '1' in order to start, and then switch to 'All' while running so that the audio system will work, which is run off of battery 2. I'm thinking that this year I need to address this whole mess to make it more reliable. The dealer offered to come down when the boat is moored and run some electrical tests.