Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery Poll

Battery Poll  

222 members have voted

1. 1. What battery type?

• Wet Cell (Interstate, Die Hard, Exide, etc.)
    • Gel Cell (Optima Blue Deep Cycle)
    • AGM
  2. 2. How Many Batteries?

• 1 Battery
    • 2 Batteries
    • 3 Batterries
    • Using so many batteries I don?t need no stinking ballast

Time to buy my next battery, so I thought I throw out a quick poll to see what everyone is using. There’s a lot of battery threads out there, but no polls that I could find. Feel free to include:

Pros/Cons of each type?

Why you decided on your current configuration?

Horror stories with boat batteries?

I have two Kinetik 1800s for stereo and a one kinetik 800 for my cranking batt. If for some reason the 800 is to small then i will replace it with a 1400 and stick the 800 in the car.

reason for buying, needed new batts and these have the most power of any on the market.

have not had a chance to really test them out yet, just installed them a few weeks ago.

http://www.kinetikaudio.com/default.asp

Edited by txwakejunkie
Time to buy my next battery, so I thought I throw out a quick poll to see what everyone is using. There’s a lot of battery threads out there, but no polls that I could find. Feel free to include:

Pros/Cons of each type?

Why you decided on your current configuration?

Horror stories with boat batteries?

Decided on cheepie deep cycles because they can give you the same amount of reserve as some of the optima gel cells and I have them in battery boxes so i don't care what they look like. Most people get the gel cells because they are a cleaner install when doing a stereo and you want to show off your battery power to all your buddies. I am more of a function vs show kind of person.

I have two batteries dedicated to the stereo and one to the starting batter. I can run of the two stereo batteries for hours with my stereo cranked up. By that I mean 4 tens pounding pretty hard (my wife likes to dance, Rockon.gif ). Anyhow the starting and stereo batters are separated by a switch that turns on and off with the boat motor started or stopped that way they are isolated from the starting battery during the motor stopped and they are charging when the motor is running no perkos to manually turn.

One other recommentdation would be to buy a good battery charger and trickly charge your batteries when your boat is not in use. I fell like this makes a big difference in the overall life and performance of any battery. JM2CW.

Good poll. I am thinking about replacing the battery in the boat this year. I seem to get about 4 years and then it's time to replace it. I'm not as good at charging it over the winter as I should be and that is probably the reason the battery doesn't last longer. I've thought about the Optimas but will probably end up with a wet cell Diehard or similiar. Unless the Optimas will hold up to more seasons with poor winter charging habits, then it probably isn't worth it for me.

Keep in mind that if you have multiple batteries dedicated to the stereo and are using the alternator to charge them, the life of the batteries and alternator are going to be drastically shortened. Your basic or even HO alternators are not able to properly charge batteries that have been drained down to low voltage levels. To properly charge your batteries from those levels under 11 volts with an alternator, it needs to have a regulator that will alter the charge going to the batteries based on how many volts it has. Balmar makes some really good regulator and alternator systems. The other way around this is to have them independent of the charging system and charge them off 110V with a good charger. Either that or replace the batteries and alternator every couple years!!! Thumbup.gif

Keep in mind that if you have multiple batteries dedicated to the stereo and are using the alternator to charge them, the life of the batteries and alternator are going to be drastically shortened. Your basic or even HO alternators are not able to properly charge batteries that have been drained down to low voltage levels. To properly charge your batteries from those levels under 11 volts with an alternator, it needs to have a regulator that will alter the charge going to the batteries based on how many volts it has. Balmar makes some really good regulator and alternator systems. The other way around this is to have them independent of the charging system and charge them off 110V with a good charger. Either that or replace the batteries and alternator every couple years!!! Thumbup.gif

I am faced with this problem now that the boat is stored away from home, I used to charge the stereo batteries separate from the stating battery. I would set the charger on the stereo batteries the night before and let them charge slowly overnight and rarely had any problems with draining. I have an Isolator between the stereo batteries and the staring battery, with our storage units we only have power from 7am to 7pm. I was thinking about using a timer for periodic charging but I'm afraid when the power goes out the preset hours will be lost so I need to find a timer that has a reserve battery for keeping a memory of the hours set.

How do you deal with this Polock?

I am faced with this problem now that the boat is stored away from home, I used to charge the stereo batteries separate from the stating battery. I would set the charger on the stereo batteries the night before and let them charge slowly overnight and rarely had any problems with draining. I have an Isolator between the stereo batteries and the staring battery, with our storage units we only have power from 7am to 7pm. I was thinking about using a timer for periodic charging but I'm afraid when the power goes out the preset hours will be lost so I need to find a timer that has a reserve battery for keeping a memory of the hours set.

Some chargers have an automatic shut-off on them, if that's the case I would just leave it plugged in all the time. Maybe put a GFI breaker plug on it just in case.

I don't run any separate batteries for my stereo. I don't really run the stereo much when we're just floating. If I do, I don't crank it and I turn my sub and tower speakers off. When I'm at ski beach I don't even turn it on, my friend has a pontooner with a full DJ setup and a generator so there's no need between him and the other 3 or 4 normal guys. The only time I run high volume it is when I'm pulling a rider or cruising around so my capacitor and alternator are able to keep up. I'm thinking of adding a second sub and if I do I'll have to get an HO alternator, I need one now as it is.

Some chargers have an automatic shut-off on them, if that's the case I would just leave it plugged in all the time. Maybe put a GFI breaker plug on it just in case.

I don't run any separate batteries for my stereo. I don't really run the stereo much when we're just floating. If I do, I don't crank it and I turn my sub and tower speakers off. When I'm at ski beach I don't even turn it on, my friend has a pontooner with a full DJ setup and a generator so there's no need between him and the other 3 or 4 normal guys. The only time I run high volume it is when I'm pulling a rider or cruising around so my capacitor and alternator are able to keep up. I'm thinking of adding a second sub and if I do I'll have to get an HO alternator, I need one now as it is.

Yeah, we usually run the stereo about 75% of the time we are out and out of that 75% we are up in the high volume range about 40% of the time (I have young adults that love music :)) , we don't float much at all anymore, maybe to eat or when someone is getting ready to ride. I wish we had more time for beach relaxation, it seems like when we are out it's not enough time for everyone to get in their runs and it feels like we are always cutting it short. I called the storage to find out what the electrical hours are because I can buy a outdoor timer with enough watts to handle the charger and has a back up battery for memory storage and settings (if the power goes out it won't get reset, I just need to make sure the back up battery doesn't die Whistling.gif) and set it to charge every other day for 3-4 hours on a 2amp trickle to have them ready when I pick it up.

I just last week replaced one Optima (stereo batt) that had been in the boat since winter of '04. The other is still going strong since '06. Yep, I bought another Optima. Costco had a $20 rebate as well as Optima has $20 rebate. I sent them both in since neither referenced the other.

Are Optima Batteries Gel and not AGM?

I just last week replaced one Optima (stereo batt) that had been in the boat since winter of '04. The other is still going strong since '06. Yep, I bought another Optima. Costco had a $20 rebate as well as Optima has $20 rebate. I sent them both in since neither referenced the other.

It's my underastanding that optimas are a gel cell...but I could be wrong.

How long ago was the costco and optima rebates? Still going on? That would drop the price down to something a little more reasonable. Any info on that is greatly appreciated.

How long ago was the costco and optima rebates? Still going on? That would drop the price down to something a little more reasonable. Any info on that is greatly appreciated.

Not sure if this helps, but... http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html

AGM: The Absorbed Glass Matt construction allows the electrolyte to be suspended in close proximity with the plates active material. In theory, this enhances both the discharge and recharge efficiency. Actually, the AGM batteries are a variant of Sealed VRLA batteries. Popular usage high performance engine starting, power sports, deep cycle, solar and storage battery. The AGM batteries we sell are typically good deep cycle batteries and they deliver best life performance if recharged before the battery drops below the 50 percent discharge rate. If these AGM batteries are discharged to a rate of 100 percent the cycle life will be 300 plus cycles and this is true of most AGM batteries rated as deep cycle batteries.

GEL: The gel cell is similar to the AGM style because the electrolyte is suspended, but different because technically the AGM battery is still considered to be a wet cell. The electrolyte in a GEL cell has a silica additive that causes it to set up or stiffen. The recharge voltages on this type of cell are lower than the other styles of lead acid battery. This is probably the most sensitive cell in terms of adverse reactions to over-voltage charging. Gel Batteries are best used in VERY DEEP cycle application and may last a bit longer in hot weather applications. If the incorrect battery charger is used on a Gel Cell battery poor performance and premature failure is certain.

SPECIAL NOTE about Gel Batteries: It is very common for individuals to use the term GEL CELL when referring to sealed, maintenance free batteries, much like one would use Kleenex when referring to facial tissue or "Xerox machine" when referring to a copy machine. Be very careful when specifying a battery charger, many times we are told by customer they are requiring a charger for a Gel Cell battery and in fact the battery is not a Gel Cell.

It was my understanding that Optimas weere the "gel" type, where Kinetik was AGM. Again...I could be wrong

Everything I'm reading says Optima's are AGM.

What is a gel cell battery? How does the OPTIMA battery compare?

A gel battery is typically a modification of a conventional lead-acid automotive or marine battery. A gelling agent is added to the electrolyte to reduce movement inside the battery case. OPTIMA Deep Cycle batteries are able to deliver and receive higher amperages than gel cell batteries, due to the much higher internal resistance of gel batteries. Most gel batteries cannot handle engine starting duties, but OPTIMA Deep Cycle batteries excel in such applications.

The Optima type batteries are more than just "pretty".. they are significantly smaller, and don't need a battery box, so you have additional mounting options, like under the passenger seat vs hogging up the storage space

So, my question after reading all of this:

Which batteries are compatible and can be run in parallel?

I am running the factory battery as the starting battery and two optimas for the stereo, I only charge the stereo batteries by themselves because I have an isolator in between the optimas and the factory battery but sometimes I jump past the isolator directly to the optimas when they go dead or I forget to charge them before going out.

Sorry to high jack the thread but it just got me thinking, it's our third season and I hope they last but from what I'm reading they may not last very much longer Dontknow.gif

I've had good luck with the optimas. six seasons on my last one. Finally replaced it thinking it would leave my high and dry some day soon. Bought another one, hopefully it is just as good.

Interstate lead acid has been the way to go for us, I've seen SRM-24's last 8-12 years if taken care of properly. We don't order the factory batteries (for good reason, your lucky if you get a full season out of a nautalus) we install the Interstate Group 24 in all our new boats.

I haven't had a good experience with Optima's yet, but i know a lot of people that like them.

-Paul

Interstate lead acid has been the way to go for us, I've seen SRM-24's last 8-12 years if taken care of properly. We don't order the factory batteries (for good reason, your lucky if you get a full season out of a nautalus) we install the Interstate Group 24 in all our new boats.

I haven't had a good experience with Optima's yet, but i know a lot of people that like them.

-Paul

Yeah, they are small and you can lay them in any position you want which makes if very convenient.

-Paul

I have a lot of experience with batteries and interstate is one of the best Plus1.gif

Sorry, I didn't see this post. The costco rebate was handed to me at check out. The Optima rebate is on their website.

I have had kinetic and optima...both are decent. I would like to try the new deka intimidator series.

I run interstate 24m-xhd for starting and dual pros for the stereo works well for my high draw situation Thumbup.gif

There are pros for the Optima battery but long life is not one of them if you are going to run it flat in my experience. I like the sealed concept. I think they look cool in a specialty car application, but .....

Porsches are battery eaters. The alarm systems and the electronics draw a lot of current. If you leave your (late model) Porsche sitting for 6 weeks the battery will go relatively flat. That is why they have a dedicated Porsche trickle charger that you plug in through your cigarette lighter. For that reason I prefer to drive my Porsche around the neighborhood every couple of weeks or so in the winter.

I had installed an Optima in my previous 1999 Carrera. I let it sit in my garage one winter for about 6 weeks. I had to recharge the Optima in order to get it started. I sold that car to a friend the following summer. He let it run down for about 4 weeks also the next winter. He ended up having to replace the Optima because it would not hold a full charge after. The Optima was only 2.3 years old when it failed.

So now I just buy my batteries at Costco for the travel trailer and boat. I buy the largest capacity available and they are about 60% of the price for the Optima. Actually I never run these batteries flat so I get long life out of them.

There are pros for the Optima battery but long life is not one of them if you are going to run it flat in my experience. I like the sealed concept. I think they look cool in a specialty car application, but .....

Porsches are battery eaters. The alarm systems and the electronics draw a lot of current. If you leave your (late model) Porsche sitting for 6 weeks the battery will go relatively flat. That is why they have a dedicated Porsche trickle charger that you plug in through your cigarette lighter. For that reason I prefer to drive my Porsche around the neighborhood every couple of weeks or so in the winter.

I had installed an Optima in my previous 1999 Carrera. I let it sit in my garage one winter for about 6 weeks. I had to recharge the Optima in order to get it started. I sold that car to a friend the following summer. He let it run down for about 4 weeks also the next winter. He ended up having to replace the Optima because it would not hold a full charge after. The Optima was only 2.3 years old when it failed.

So now I just buy my batteries at Costco for the travel trailer and boat. I buy the largest capacity available and they are about 60% of the price for the Optima. Actually I never run these batteries flat so I get long life out of them.

Exactly, doesnt matter what kind of battery, you will get the best life out of them if you don't let them sit around discharged

The life of the optima had little to do with it being an optima itself and everything to do with the way it was treated. Any battery would have fried in the same situation.

I have had kinetic and optima...both are decent. I would like to try the new deka intimidator series.

I run interstate 24m-xhd for starting and dual pros for the stereo works well for my high draw situation Thumbup.gif

I forgot to add that Powermaster also makes a nice battery...pricey though.

I have a 16volt in my mustang and it is awesome...would be neat to do a 16 volt setup for the boat stereo.