Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski Pylon totally stuck

Dave@LakeAnna

Hey everyone, I just bought a 2006 247 and no matter how hard I try, I just can't get the thing to lift out at all. (I am purposely trying to avoid saying that no matter how hard I try I just can't get it up Whistling.gif )

I have read about the issues with the plastic bearing and filing it down to fix the problem, but can't move the pylon at all so can't access the plastic ring to start the repair! Any ideas from those of you that have had the issue? I was considering using a hammer and hitting it from the underside but don't want to damage the pylon. There doesn't seem to be anywhere to pry it up easily either?

I also saw that there was a recommendation against using WD40 which was my other thought, I was going to spray some around the bottom of the pylon at the bearing and see if that helped at least to get the pylon out so I could start filing. Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

The bolt seems to only act as a guide for when you raise the pylon - but I understand it needs to come out to fully remove the pylon. Hammering it from the underside won't cause any issues? The problem is moving the pylon the full foot it needs to come out!

ya use some sort of a spray lube and be patient. Spray it, walk away. Every few hours or so spray it again. It will eventually move with no hammering.

Thanks - I will give that a try, like the idea of not having to hit the pylon with a hammer - I tried with a mallet this past weekend but the opening on the bottom of the pylon shaft is not big enough to get good contact with a mallet.

The pylon in my old boat was hard to raise/lower. It got worse as the engine heated things up. I suspect the pylon expanded more than the bracket. You could try heating the bracket just a little. If I remember right, the outside shell of the pylon is hard plastic, so take it easy on the heat.

Then put a socket against the bottom of the pylon and give it a whack with a real steel hammer. The bigger the better.

Dave.......I will be at the lake this weekend. Let me know if you need some help. "help" means I can drink beer and joke about how you ain't never gonna get that thing up. Cheers.gif

Why not just hose it done with WD40, let it sit for a few minutes, and try hitting it with a rubber mallet. Then when it comes loose you can wipe it down, clean it up, and spray it with a silicone spray.

Dave.......I will be at the lake this weekend. Let me know if you need some help. "help" means I can drink beer and joke about how you ain't never gonna get that thing up. Cheers.gif

If you are bringing the beer and willing to share you have a deal - I can take the jokes! Biggrin.gif

My service guy says he uses his overhead hoist to pull them up. He also said he has lifted the boat off the trailer trying to get them up. I don't think I would hammer on it.

martinarcher
How about a strap wrench ?

Good call. Strap wrenches are great where you don't want to mess up the finish, but want to get a really good grip on a cylinder shaped object. Thumbup.gif

My service guy says he uses his overhead hoist to pull them up. He also said he has lifted the boat off the trailer trying to get them up. I don't think I would hammer on it.

I've done the same, forklift or crane will get it done, but I don't think too many people have those at their house.

I would get a mallet and a nice 1 inch diameter rod and hammer it up from the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...

Used a crowbar and a runner mallet and got the pylon removed, started to sand the ring but that thing is a bear. Decided to just leave it in the up position for now and mess with it some rainy day! Thanks for the helpful suggestions...