Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion XS tower removing the arcing towpoint 08 23 LSV

djheywood

I just got my 2008 LSV a couple weeks ago. Clap.gif

To my surprise it fits in my garage without removing the platform (woo hoo) but not without folding the tower and removing the arcing towpoint from the tower.

I have removed it and replaced it twice now and notice that I can't seem to get it screwed back in quite like it was from the factory. I see a small amount of non powder coated area, where before I removed it I didn't see any. I am not that concerned about the thing coming off, cause the bolts are pretty long and big, but has anyone been removing it for the last 1+ years and can report on how the threads on the tower are holding up? I shake it anc tighten it up switching sides as I go to ensure it goes in even, but still can't get the seamless look the factory got.

I hear come squeaking/creaking when I screw it back on and am trying to be extra careful not to screw up the threads.

I was also thinking I could contact Malibu and see if they could manufacture a tow point that still fits the threads but does not arc so far back. Any thoughts on if I have a snoballs chance in hell at getting them to work with me on that one? Obviously I am willing to pay for the work. Maybe someone already did this?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Hi Brian, I have a 2009 23LSV and have the same problem. I did call Malibu and suggested that the make a joint that folds down. I find it silly that you have to take off the tow hoop. Malibu said that the insert that the bolts tighten in, is stainless. Go to the Malibu web page and find the contact link and make a folding suggestion as I did.

Thanks

Wade

Make sure to have plenty of anti-seize on those bolts & that you are torquing them down to spec (I can't remember off the top of my head so i can't quote a number right now)

Anti Seize will stop the noise when threading them in, that's stainless on stainless so make sure they are lubricated to prevent galling or striping out. Torquing the bolts down will suck the hoop down where it should go.

Hope this info helps.

-Paul

I think the anti-seize will do it. I can feel the bolts get tough then ease up then get tough again. I little lube should go a long way... Whistling.gif

I am going to talk to Malibu. Like mentioned above, this is an EASY part to put a hinge with pins on like the tower itself. There needs to be a design change.

14 lbs can't be right. I use a 1/2" ratchet and crank down HARD while shaking the rear hoop up and down. It will get so tight that the only flex is in the hoop itself.........no movement in the joint at all. When reinstalling, I have found that it is important to screw one side in about halfway and then start the other side. The second side will align much better if you do.

My 2004 23 LSV with Illusion X fit under the garage door. The 2008 with Illusion XS does not fit because of that rear hoop. Misses by about 2"-3". Vast riches await the company or individual who comes up with a solution. It won't be me due to the slacker factor.

Glad someone started this post,,i was going to. I brought my new 09 home a couple weeks ago and i also have to remove the "hoop" each time i put it into the garage. My first impression after removing it for the first time was "i DEFINATELY see having issues with this system if having to remove it every week" I already told my delaer that i wasnt real thrilled with the bolt system,, Especially since Malibu kinda "sells it" as being made to fit in a standard garage opening. If you do end up having one of the bolts get stripped out,,its not like you can just replace the bolt.

The couple of times I removed mine, I used antiseize when putting the bolts back in and had no trouble getting it back flush. And like skyskier said, I think 14lbs is way light, because I also use a 1/2" ratchet and put plenty of torque on it to get it tight and flush. I just built a bigger garage, so no more of that :)

I posted a few months ago that i woudl pay a TON OF MONEY for a solution that would allow my to just fold down the tow arch. I also have to remove mine and it is a bit of pain after a long day at the lake.. and i am sure in 3-4 years it's going to strip out :(.

my dealer told me 14 lbs but that sounds light...? any ideas on the correct ft/lbs?

14lbs is for the racks on the xs tower, don't quote me but I'm pretty sure the rear hoop was 50lbs.

I posted a few months ago that i woudl pay a TON OF MONEY for a solution that would allow my to just fold down the tow arch. I also have to remove mine and it is a bit of pain after a long day at the lake.. and i am sure in 3-4 years it's going to strip out :( .

When you new Malibu owners receive your customer satisfaction surveys make sure to mention that, they have always listened to their customers and want them to be happy with their Malibu. So make sure they hear you out, they care so make sure to mention it.

On the other side, could you imagine the liability if somebody produced a aftermarket bar? I don't see anybody other than Metcraft doing something like that and I'm sure they made it the most functional and safe as possible.

-Paul

One more thing.........it is WAY easier to install the rear hoop with the tower down. Just figured that out today, and I'll bet I am the last to know.

• 3 weeks later...

Finallly got to take my 09 out for its "first-run". I am still not pleased with the "design" of the rear swoop. I also had the same problem getting both sides 'sucked-down' tight. I wasnt going to do any boarding so I didnt worry about it,,but next week will need to make sure I have it all the way down tight. It also is a PAIN when removing the bar to put it back in the garage. Seems like you cant quite get that last thread or 2 to let go to get it broke loose to remove it. I just kept turning to bolt and trying to pull up on the swoop at the same time.(need 3 hands for this) I am NOT happy at all with this set-up. I dont want to be fighting this all summer. I could get my 07 with the illusion X under my garage door,,but of course with the big curve of the XS 'swoop' piece,,it is way to high to get in without removing. Am wondering about maybe getting Metcraft to make a custom piece that maybe had more of a 90* angle to shoot over to the other side,, instead of the big radius?? Then I could probally just fold the tower down and get it in the door opening without removing that section.

my 07 with the illusion-X would fit under my door. But with big radius of the XS it sticks WAY up in the air when folded down. From the looks of it,,not sure if it would even fit under a 8' door.

Finallly got to take my 09 out for its "first-run". I am still not pleased with the "design" of the rear swoop. I also had the same problem getting both sides 'sucked-down' tight. I wasnt going to do any boarding so I didnt worry about it,,but next week will need to make sure I have it all the way down tight. It also is a PAIN when removing the bar to put it back in the garage. Seems like you cant quite get that last thread or 2 to let go to get it broke loose to remove it. I just kept turning to bolt and trying to pull up on the swoop at the same time.(need 3 hands for this) I am NOT happy at all with this set-up. I dont want to be fighting this all summer. I could get my 07 with the illusion X under my garage door,,but of course with the big curve of the XS 'swoop' piece,,it is way to high to get in without removing. Am wondering about maybe getting Metcraft to make a custom piece that maybe had more of a 90* angle to shoot over to the other side,, instead of the big radius?? Then I could probally just fold the tower down and get it in the door opening without removing that section.

It gets easier with practice. Still sucks though.

It gets easier with practice. Still sucks though.

Yes,,I agree. this is my 5th Bu since 2000. I have come to expect a little better design than this.

• 5 weeks later...

I have messed with designing a temp. cross bar for this summer to use until I get my new garage up with a 12' door. I have found a couple reasons that the design is a pain to remove and a trick or 2 to make it easier. PM me if you want any info.

Make sure to have plenty of anti-seize on those bolts & that you are torquing them down to spec (I can't remember off the top of my head so i can't quote a number right now)

Anti Seize will stop the noise when threading them in, that's stainless on stainless so make sure they are lubricated to prevent galling or striping out. Torquing the bolts down will suck the hoop down where it should go.

Hope this info helps.

-Paul

Is there a particular brand of anti-seize that you would recommend?

I have messed with designing a temp. cross bar for this summer to use until I get my new garage up with a 12' door. I have found a couple reasons that the design is a pain to remove and a trick or 2 to make it easier. PM me if you want any info.

Have you thought about replacing the bolts with some sort of pin assembly? I'm not sure what they're called, but I'm talking about the pin with the small spring loaded bolt near the end of it. I used these in place of bolts for my rear strut tower bar on my old car and they worked beautifully.

You'll probably have to drill holes in your tower, though.

I would highly encourage Metcraft to make a hinged joint there. To have customers install and remove the hoop on the XS tower is just asking for problems. The chance of cross threading, incomplete installation of the bolts (in a blind hole with no check point), and the pure lack of ease of use is way way too high.

Titan offers a nice solid hinge joint on their towers at mid-span....it's not that hard to incorporate into the design.

Peter.

I would highly encourage Metcraft to make a hinged joint there. To have customers install and remove the hoop on the XS tower is just asking for problems. The chance of cross threading, incomplete installation of the bolts (in a blind hole with no check point), and the pure lack of ease of use is way way too high.

Peter.

Totally agree with you

• 11 years later...
On 4/7/2009 at 1:19 PM, djheywood said:

I just got my 2008 LSV a couple weeks ago. Clap.gif

To my surprise it fits in my garage without removing the platform (woo hoo) but not without folding the tower and removing the arcing towpoint from the tower.

I have removed it and replaced it twice now and notice that I can't seem to get it screwed back in quite like it was from the factory. I see a small amount of non powder coated area, where before I removed it I didn't see any. I am not that concerned about the thing coming off, cause the bolts are pretty long and big, but has anyone been removing it for the last 1+ years and can report on how the threads on the tower are holding up? I shake it anc tighten it up switching sides as I go to ensure it goes in even, but still can't get the seamless look the factory got.

I hear come squeaking/creaking when I screw it back on and am trying to be extra careful not to screw up the threads.

I was also thinking I could contact Malibu and see if they could manufacture a tow point that still fits the threads but does not arc so far back. Any thoughts on if I have a snoballs chance in hell at getting them to work with me on that one? Obviously I am willing to pay for the work. Maybe someone already did this?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Hi Guys

Just wondering what type of screw holds the tower hoop in and what size?

IIRC it is a 3/8 hex head bolt.  The bolt is embedded in the hoop that you remove.  You will need a long 3/8" straight allen key (about 10" ) and then you will want to grind down the edges in the middle and install some heat shrink so it doesnt chip out the hoop where it comes into contact was you screw and unscrew it.  You will use a 3/8" female socket set on your end to turn the key.

You will also want to keep using anti-seize on the threads.  I used old socks over the end of the hoop when not installed to keep the antiseize from getting all over.

Hope that helps.