Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water/Condensation in Oil

I pulled the boat out of storage this weekend after a long winters nap and fired it up on the fake-a-lake. Ran it for 5 minutes then shut it off, and check for hose leaks, etc. Check the oil dipstick and noticed some water in the oil. My heart sank as I feared the worst, a possible cracked block from freezing, even though I do a very thorough job winterizing (as I have for many years). I took it to the dealer on Saturday and explained what the situation was. The dealer looked at it today, lake tested it, changed the oil & filter and no leaks or cracks in the block. The dealer explained it could have been condensation from sitting over the winter, or contaminated oil. (I change the oil & filter before storeage for the winter). Very happy it was not a cracked block, but surprised by the condensation explaination

Anyone every experinece something similar?

Do you store the boat in a place where there is possible rapid temperature changes, like an enclosure that gets hot when the sun comes out in the morning after a cold night.

Edited by electricjohn
Do you store the boat in a place where there is possible rapid temperature changes, like an enclosure that gets hot when the sun comes out in the morning after a cold night.

It is stored inside an enclosed storeage locker. Not environmentally regulated, but dry and not exposed to the outside environment

How much water, just a few drops on the dip stick, or did the oil look like a milk shake?

the oil did not look like a milk shake. The dip stick had a bit more than a few drops. I could see a distinct oil/water interface, and as I drained some oil from the oil pan it had a very distinct discoloration to it. It was not clear as I would have expected it to be for new oil changed at seasons end

Update....I picked the boat up from the dealer, and ran it on the fake-a-lake up to temp (160F), no leaks, no oil pressure issues, no discoloration or water in the oil. Major relief! Thumbup.gifThumbup.gif

I pulled the boat out of storage this weekend after a long winters nap and fired it up on the fake-a-lake. Ran it for 5 minutes then shut it off, and check for hose leaks, etc. Check the oil dipstick and noticed some water in the oil. My heart sank as I feared the worst, a possible cracked block from freezing, even though I do a very thorough job winterizing (as I have for many years). I took it to the dealer on Saturday and explained what the situation was. The dealer looked at it today, lake tested it, changed the oil & filter and no leaks or cracks in the block. The dealer explained it could have been condensation from sitting over the winter, or contaminated oil. (I change the oil & filter before storeage for the winter). Very happy it was not a cracked block, but surprised by the condensation explaination

Anyone every experinece something similar?

I've never heard of that happening with your scenario.

I only see more than normal moisture in fluids when customers don't change their oil prior to winter storage. Maybe only because by then the water has separated enough that it's obvious.

Glad to hear it wasn't the worst case scenario.

-Paul

How could you tell it was water you saw on the dipstick? I could maybe see that you would find some drops of moisture on the dipstick on a cold engine that sat all winter. However, I would think any significant amount of water at all would turn the oil to mocha after running it until hot. Maybe not with fresh oil?

What I have seen is that sometimes we dont get all of the old oil out of the engine and then it looks strange when you check it after only running it for a few minutes after changing it because it doesnt seem to blend right away.

Not doubting you Dave, I just want to know what to look for when I pull mine out of storage. (yes, i am in Dallas, but we are cold water sissys)

How could you tell it was water you saw on the dipstick? I could maybe see that you would find some drops of moisture on the dipstick on a cold engine that sat all winter. However, I would think any significant amount of water at all would turn the oil to mocha after running it until hot. Maybe not with fresh oil?

What I have seen is that sometimes we dont get all of the old oil out of the engine and then it looks strange when you check it after only running it for a few minutes after changing it because it doesnt seem to blend right away.

Not doubting you Dave, I just want to know what to look for when I pull mine out of storage. (yes, i am in Dallas, but we are cold water sissys)

Cold water sissys for sure! Biggrin.gif When I pulled the dipstick and looked at the oil level, it had a milky colored substance nearest the "full oil level line". This measured about 1/8 on the dipstick, and repeated everytime I checked it. Then beneath that it had what seemed to be slightly discolored oil like amber colored beer. (put in terms you can relate too)

You & the family need to find time to come visit this neck of the woods this summer......you'll find out what your really missing living in Texas Whistling.gif