Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Freezing

Ok. need more help. Took the boat out for the first time this year, 80 degrees on Saturday, but they are saying it is going to get into the low 30's three nights this week but in the 50's-60's during the day (hate this weather) do i have anything to worry about or should i blow all the water out of it again.

Thanks

Edited by reagr

If it were me, I would. With the temps you mention in your post, you would probably be fine, but I couldn't sleep through a cold night worrying about it.

With the scenario you mention (warm days, just barely below freezing at night), I personally wouldn't worry about it. It takes some extended cold temperatures to penetrate all the way into the engine bay and freeze the block. Its your money and your gamble though...

For peice of mind you could always put a 100w drop light in the bilge under the engine - cheap, easy, and keeps my engine bay above 40, even when we had a solid week in the mid 20's.

- Chad

With the scenario you mention (warm days, just barely below freezing at night), I personally wouldn't worry about it. It takes some extended cold temperatures to penetrate all the way into the engine bay and freeze the block. Its your money and your gamble though...

For peice of mind you could always put a 100w drop light in the bilge under the engine - cheap, easy, and keeps my engine bay above 40, even when we had a solid week in the mid 20's.

- Chad

Great idea. i still wont sleep at night worring about it though, but $ is always a factor. Thanks for everyones help.

- Chad

Plus1.gif I keep a 100w light in the bilge under the engine if I have any concerns. But as said above it takes a fair amount of time to get to a hard freeze. I don't know if your on a trailer or a lift but the ground or lake is also holding some temp. With all that said All I can say is I still don't have my boat in and its killing me. We have been getting below freezing nights. The weather man was calling for 3 to 6 inches of snow for us last night and today. Cold and windy but no snow. Yahoo.gifYahoo.gif

If you have a fake a lake run the engine each evening to warm it up and then after you shut it off put the light in the engine bay and you will be fine.

-Dave

The shop light in the engine compartment is quick & easy. Just remember to do the same for your heater core, which is probably up under your driver side dash. Another shop light or a space heater should do the trick. The Christmas lights idea is a good one..... just be sure their not the new style LEDs.

If you forget that little detail, you'll want to find the thread about how to replace the core in your Heatercraft heater..... Rockon.gif

as easy as it is to drain the block down i don't know why anyone would not do that much to avoid the worry.

heater core and shower are more tinkering/pia but they don't run $5000 to replace, either.

- Chad

Plus1.gif I keep a 100w light in the bilge under the engine if I have any concerns. But as said above it takes a fair amount of time to get to a hard freeze. I don't know if your on a trailer or a lift but the ground or lake is also holding some temp. With all that said All I can say is I still don't have my boat in and its killing me. We have been getting below freezing nights. The weather man was calling for 3 to 6 inches of snow for us last night and today. Cold and windy but no snow. Yahoo.gifYahoo.gif

I know i couldnt stand it any longer. Like i said we had 80's this weekend and now freezing? I just dont understand this weather

As said above. Cheap insurance would be to drain the block. Most likely the engine block will not freeze even if the temp was 28 for 24 hours straight. The ground is holding heat, the engine is insulated under the motorbox, boat should be covered. You probably stand a less than 5% chance of anything happening. If it was my boat it only takes 10 minutes to drain the block out so I would do it for peace of mind. Also the heater could be done quickly if you have a airhose, pull both lines and blow compressed air through it.

Very small chance of any damage, but ask those who have had cracked blocks about the hassle/cost of replacing one.

Hey....I too took my boat out for the first time this past weekend! Clap.gif

I did not drain mine...it stays in a covered shelter with a boat cover. I did throw in

a light in the engine compartment though for my sanity!

I am with you on this weather...it's time to stay warm.

I live in an area where winter temps overnight can get to -5 DegC (23DegF), winter days typically peak about 10DegC (50DegF) and hardly anyone bothers to winterise. There are occassional damaged engines but very very rare.

I didn't bother winterizing 4 years as we use it about once per month even in winter. Last winter I did drain it though as decided when fuel prices peaked to store it for the mid winter months then use more in summer when more enjoyable.

A bit further south where it can get down to -10C and daytime peaks closer to freezing or barely above zero for days on end most epole winterize.

I bought a twin pack of heavy duty packing blankets from Costco and wrap the engine tightly when I think it needs it. It has to get very cold for several days to freeze a engine block