Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat & Trailer Weight

Arkid

So i picked up a new truck this week. Got an 09 Dodge Ram Crew Cab. Yahoo.gif

I didnt realise that it didnt come with a hitch receiver :Doh: so the dealer put one on for me. Turns out its a class 3 (5000lb/500lb tongue weight).

My boat is a 2000 Escape LSV with Extreme trailer. Am I good???

My 06 ram has a class IV receiver so I was thinking I could switch it to the 09 before I sell it if needed (and if it fits).

So i picked up a new truck this week. Got an 09 Dodge Ram Crew Cab. Yahoo.gif

I didnt realise that it didnt come with a hitch receiver :Doh: so the dealer put one on for me. Turns out its a class 3 (5000lb/500lb tongue weight).

My boat is a 2000 Escape LSV with Extreme trailer. Am I good???

My 06 ram has a class IV receiver so I was thinking I could switch it to the 09 before I sell it if needed (and if it fits).

I don't have the exact answer you are looking for....but I found this website for you that list's your boat with a dry weight of 3400lbs. Maybe you can keep reading and find your answer.

Boating Life

I don't know how Dodge packages but if it did not have a trailer tow pack it may not have Extra cooling, Trans cooler, large battery and heavy charging system. may have a gear ratio for hi way not towing.

Hope all works out.

I have welded a few hitches of the class three variety for people stuck on the weekend with boats smaller than yours. These were emergency type repairs when the effectively undersized hitch started coming apart. I was recently told of a guy with an insufficient hitch who was found liable in a highway incident when his hitch failed. I was also told that his insurance was not going to pay the full bill on repairs to his Yukon, his boat and the other vehicle involved. That said, I think it might be a wise use of your time to swap to a larger hitch on the tow vehicle so you can roll safely. As you live in a state with rough roads then all the more reason to do this. A trip up Highway 99 northbound will make you a believer. Or that big bump on the westbound side of the road from Lake Castaic as you descend the hill headed back to the interstate. That one use to be a real test of everything attached to the back of your tow rig. This bump was also very handy to help center the boat back on the trailer when it did not load too good at Castaic's busy ramp (too much boat chop!)

Edited by multiplemalibufamily

One other thing... the 06 Class IV looks identical to the 09 Class 3 except that on the 06 the actual receiver mount is welded to the hitch frame that bolts to the truck frame whereas the 09 bolts to the hitch frame that is then bolted to the truck frame.

If it where me I would say the hitch is a little light for towing that boat. I would up to the CLass IV to be on the safe side.

Isn't the only difference between a Class III and a Class IV is just just two more bolts on either side? I agree move up to a class IV should cost much to do.

If thats the only difference could I get a hitch shop to weld it to the hitch frame like on my 06?

edit. Just went out to take a look.... The 06 (class IV) has only 2 bolts each side that bolt to the truck frame while the 09 (class 3) has 4 bolts each side that bolt to the truck frame ????? Now i'm even more confused.

Edited by Arkid

Just take it to a welder & be done with it. The specs for your boat can be found here: Resources section. FYI, our VLX's dry weight is listed at 3600 lbs. When we weighed it off the truck though, it came in at 5800+. Dry weights at the factory don't account for a lot of things - trailer, gas, installed tower, etc.....it can really add up.

Called Malibu and they told me 3400lbs for the boat and 1600lbs for the trailer.

I went over to a hitch place today and they quoted me $300 for custom install class IV. The dealer said they'd take the class 3 back and give a refund so we're all good.

Called Malibu and they told me 3400lbs for the boat and 1600lbs for the trailer.

I went over to a hitch place today and they quoted me $300 for custom install class IV. The dealer said they'd take the class 3 back and give a refund so we're all good.

Sweet!