Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perko switch

BigJerDog

Hey Gang,

Just installed the Perko Battery Selector switch. Took the boat out today and listened to some tunes and tried to get used to the new set up. Hope someone can help me with a few things. Just want to make sure I understand how this works. I installed exactly the way the diagram on the packaging explaned. My stereo and amps are hooked up to Battery 1. So How exactly does ths work? The different selects are... Off, 1, 2 and All. When I am sitting listening to the stereo and it is switched to "1". Then I want to start the boat. I switch to "2" and it starts and then while boat s running which battery is being charged? Do I siwtch it back after engine is started? I just want to make sure I am utilzing this correctly. Hope all that made sense... Someone lemme know?

Thanks!

Hey Gang,

Just installed the Perko Battery Selector switch. Took the boat out today and listened to some tunes and tried to get used to the new set up. Hope someone can help me with a few things. Just want to make sure I understand how this works. I installed exactly the way the diagram on the packaging explaned. My stereo and amps are hooked up to Battery 1. So How exactly does ths work? The different selects are... Off, 1, 2 and All. When I am sitting listening to the stereo and it is switched to "1". Then I want to start the boat. I switch to "2" and it starts and then while boat s running which battery is being charged? Do I siwtch it back after engine is started? I just want to make sure I am utilzing this correctly. Hope all that made sense... Someone lemme know?

Thanks!

Battery 3 :lol:

J/K.

If you just have the switch, then it is what ever battery you have it switched to. So, to charge both batteries you need to have 1+2 switched. When you stop the boat to crank tunes for a while, switch to battery 1. When you are stopping/starting alot, switch to battery 2 to make sure your starting battery is getting charged. The audiophiles can chime in, but I believe many of them charge/ top off their stereo batteries on a charger when ever they are at home.

In the situation you asked about (with the switch on battery 2), only the number 2 battery is getting charged. Your stereo will still work since it is hooked up directly to battery 1 but it is isolated and not charging. Like Theblackpearl said, you need to switch to "All" in order to charge both batteries.

Edited by mellen_mpz

I set mine to ALL when we're riding or just driving the boat. If we're sitting with the tunes on, I set it to 1. And if the boat is parked, whether it be over night or for the winter, I have it set to OFF.

My Auto bilge is setup directly to the battery. So even if the batteries are OFF, it still pumps water if the float switch is triggered.

I set mine to ALL when we're riding or just driving the boat. If we're sitting with the tunes on, I set it to 1. And if the boat is parked, whether it be over night or for the winter, I have it set to OFF.

My Auto bilge is setup directly to the battery. So even if the batteries are OFF, it still pumps water if the float switch is triggered.

Well, you'll know what happend if you find your boat sunk Cry.gif and the batteries dead!

Well, you'll know what happend if you find your boat sunk Cry.gif and the batteries dead!

Only one battery would be dead..... Rockon.gif

NEVER EVER, EVER , change the switch to another battery when the engine is running. That could cause some serious damage. Whenever you change the battery make sure the engine is shut off.

If I recall correctly, Perko switches are make before break switching. Meaning that you can switch between 1, 2, or all. You just can't ever go to off position while motor is running. Can any confirm this?

If I recall correctly, Perko switches are make before break switching. Meaning that you can switch between 1, 2, or all. You just can't ever go to off position while motor is running. Can any confirm this?

Correct. The Perko will allow you to switch between batteries while the boat is running but you do not want to switch to OFF while the boat is running.