Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast Ballast Ballast

rinconking

Well I'm onto the ballast portion of my bu revitalization project. i have 3 thru hull fittings that all feed to brass shut-offs, then to attwood 800gph pumps. i imagine i run the hoses from the fill pumps to the tops of the tanks. Do i need a "loop" in the line? if so where do i put it? as for the drains i also have attwood 800's and im thinking they sould connect to the bottom of the tanks and go through the side mounted thru hulls. Do i need loops in the lines here as well? lastly the vents. do these need loops as well? thanks in advance for your help

My first question would be why are you putting tanks in? Most people got the opposite direction, and since you have the luxury of starting from scratch essentially, I would recommend going with bags from the start. You get more capacity and less wasted storage space.

i imagine i run the hoses from the fill pumps to the tops of the tanks. Do i need a "loop" in the line? if so where do i put it?

Correct, fill goes into the top rear fitting. A loop that is located in the fill line and extends at least as high as the top of the tank will help prevent siphoning, although in some cases the only solution is a vented loop or a one-way check valve. Start with the loop and go from there if you find that the tank drains slowly during use.

as for the drains i also have attwood 800's and im thinking they sould connect to the bottom of the tanks and go through the side mounted thru hulls. Do i need loops in the lines here as well?

Yep, drain out of the bottom rear fitting and again install a loop to prevent draining. The same caveat applies here as above, but you can start with the loop to see if that prevents draining.

lastly the vents. do these need loops as well? thanks in advance for your help

No, it is typically not necessary to have a loop in the vent line. It comes off the top of the tank and exit above the water line, so you don't get any venturi siphoning here.

You may be interested in our TankBuster 750 System, which includes all of the components you need to install a bag in place of the hard tank (if you decide to go that route).

IME...

My setup on a boat without the underfloor tanks.

750 ProX sac in the lockers

Fill pump in stock location in hull, hose runs to top FRONT of sac with quick connect between hose/sac

Drain pump in bottom FRONT of sac, hose runs to exit through hull. Pump connects to sac with quick connect

Vent hose in top REAR of sac runs to exit through hull with a loop under gunnel, quick connect at sac

With these quick disconnects I can remove the sacs at the end of the day and store away.

With this setup, I have to shut off valve at fill pump to stop water being forced back out of the fill pump with a full sac.

I have to break the connection at the vent hose/sac and blow the water out of the hose to stop the siphon out of the vent, it WILL drain the sac without doing these two things.

You can use one way valves and siphon breakers but without them I have these problems.

My first question would be why are you putting tanks in? Most people got the opposite direction, and since you have the luxury of starting from scratch essentially, I would recommend going with bags from the start. You get more capacity and less wasted storage space.
i imagine i run the hoses from the fill pumps to the tops of the tanks. Do i need a "loop" in the line? if so where do i put it?

Correct, fill goes into the top rear fitting. A loop that is located in the fill line and extends at least as high as the top of the tank will help prevent siphoning, although in some cases the only solution is a vented loop or a one-way check valve. Start with the loop and go from there if you find that the tank drains slowly during use.

as for the drains i also have attwood 800's and im thinking they sould connect to the bottom of the tanks and go through the side mounted thru hulls. Do i need loops in the lines here as well?

Yep, drain out of the bottom rear fitting and again install a loop to prevent draining. The same caveat applies here as above, but you can start with the loop to see if that prevents draining.

lastly the vents. do these need loops as well? thanks in advance for your help

No, it is typically not necessary to have a loop in the vent line. It comes off the top of the tank and exit above the water line, so you don't get any venturi siphoning here.

You may be interested in our TankBuster 750 System, which includes all of the components you need to install a bag in place of the hard tank (if you decide to go that route).

My boat came with hard tanks, everything else was raped from it. All hoses fittings and pumps that is. im about outta $$$ on this project, so bags aren't an option right now.

My boat came with hard tanks, everything else was raped from it. All hoses fittings and pumps that is. im about outta $$$ on this project, so bags aren't an option right now.

I hear you on the $$$, stick the factory tanks back in and be done with it!