Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Beeping

Guys took the boat out for the first time this season today. After about 15 min it started beeping. Looked at the gauges and they all looked fine, as soon as I brought the throttle back the beeping stopped. Brought it up to speed again and started beeping after 3-5 min. It went on like this for the rest of the afternoon. It did not do it at idle but it would do it at different RPMs. When I got it ready I checked the transmission cooler and it was clear. Any ideas. I don't think it's the oil pressure sensor because that usually causes the beeps to stay on. I'm thinking it might be the transmission temp sensor or it might actually be high tranny temp. Can I check the tranny sensor? I also read some post that say the knock sensor might be the cause. Thanks Pappy

I had a problem with mine last year on some beeping. Mine was related to the oil sending unit as my guages also displayed a low pressure reading. I was told to check the "Cannon Plug" for good connectivity. I did that but then noticied I had two medium sized gray connectors unattached. After I re-connected them as well as checked the cannon plug all was fine and I never had another problem.

If unplugging the oil pressure switch or transmission temperature switch stops the beeping, you narrowed down your problem.

Thanks for the help in isolating the problem. Now the question is why would the beeping go away after I bring the boat to idle? Would this be normal of actual high tranny high temp? Last year I replaced the oil sensor and it would stay on all the time.

Gauges looking normal is good. Keep in mind, however, that a switch could still be bad and you wouldn't see it on the gauges. Also, no gauge for tranny temp. Good that you checked the tranny cooler and found it clear. You've already checked the fluid levels in the tranny & vdrive, obviously?

Yes motor oil and tranny levels looks good. The Walters v-drive is hard to tell the stick comes out clean but I just put in .5 quarts. Does the vdrive make the alarm go off. I wil check all connections and put it in later on today and check for the vdrive light when it happens. Is the tranny temp switch on top of the tranny under the black plate?

the v-drive will only illuminate the v-drive light below the throttle handle. it will not cause the beeping

Yes motor oil and tranny levels looks good. The Walters v-drive is hard to tell the stick comes out clean but I just put in .5 quarts. Does the vdrive make the alarm go off. I wil check all connections and put it in later on today and check for the vdrive light when it happens. Is the tranny temp switch on top of the tranny under the black plate?

My (direct drive) tranny switch is on top of the trans under a plate like you mentioned. It is right next to the neutral safety switch which will have IIRC yellow wires to to it. Temp switch has a brown wire to it.

Thanks for all the help guys. So I have checked everything except for the tranny switch which is hard to get to and wanted to leave it for last. Would the fact that the beeping stops as I bring the power back (i.e. reducing heat in the tranny mean that the tranny oil is in fact hot)? How would this signal normally show up? Would a bad tranny temp switch beep on and then quiet as I brought the power back? Thanks again.

Never had a tranny overheat problem, so I can't answer your question directly. What I do know is that the tranny overheat switch and the low oil pressure switch are both normally open inputs to your ECM. Either one of these switches will close if there is a problem such as high (170*) trans temperature or low (< 4-6 psi) oil pressure. When the ECM see's these inputs close, it then sounds the alarm (beeper) under your dash. It will also sound the alarm if it see's a coolant temperature sensor signal of 203* or higher. If the alarm beeps differently for each individual problem, I do not know.

On a side note, the alarm may also beep if the ECM see's a fault in its controls system. Like getting a "service engine soon" light in your car. I have never been able to varify this though.

Solved the problem Clap.gif thanks to everyone for the help. Checked all sensors and they were all good. It seems the fuel was causing the engine to misfire. As electricJohn said the ECM was detecting the misfire and warning with the beep. I put fresh fuel in and some octane booster just to be sure and no problems today. As I troubleshot I realized that I had never seen the vdrive light come on as some people say so as I was checking the bulb I found one of the wires was unplugged. Now as a lot of people say the light is always on below 1200 rpm. Thanks for all the help this forum rocks!!

Pappy

:Doh: We forgot the old 'crappy gas' beeping scenario. Actually, that's a new one on me.

Congrats on the silenced beeper, enjoy!!!