Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Bunk replacement

Hey Gang,

I am gettng ready to replace my trailer bunks. It looks pretty straight forward but I just wanted to post here and make sure there arent any important tips or anything I am missing. Its a sngle axle. It has two, 12 foot 2x6 beams. I bought precut bunk carpet. applied some contact cement and presto. I think the next step is just to measure and attach to trailer. Is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks crew!

Rockon.gif

I redid mine a couple of years back.

Make sure that the bunks extend enough to the stern of the boat so that they fully support the transom. Have the bunk extend a half inch or so past the transom. This will support the heaviest part of your boat better.

On a similar note if you can move the boat further forward of your trailer axle to add more tongue weight the boat will trail better. This only applies if you have a good 3/4 ton pickup as a tow rig. I did this and it made it so I can swerve my truck and the boat trailer does not try to move the truck around on a sharp curve. I think a minumum of 10% tongue weight works fine but 12% + is much better unless your vehicle is not capable of handling the increase.

i dumped the lag bolts and used galvanized through bolts/nuts.

there isn't much marine related that shouldn't be through bolted.

I agree through bolt if possable. They can be counter sunk then covered with carpet.

The glue is good to hold the carpet on... but you should also use stainless steel staples on the underside and ends of the bunks help secure the carpet.

also you should have used stainless bolts in a year or two the galvanized ones will probally rot off the new galvy products are not like they used to.

hey i have an extreme tandem axle trailer and i have bunks as well as rollers has any one seen this before the trailer loads and unloads sweet.