Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

340 vs hammerhead

malik

Need a little imput from anyone who has driven both. I had an 05 and 07 23LSV both with the 340 in them. I have thinking about getting a new boat and wondered how much of a difference there was in the two engines. The 340 always seemed to do fine but sometimes it just seemed a little under powered. Is there much of a top end speed difference between the two. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance. Trent

Need a little input from anyone who has driven both. I had an 05 and 07 23LSV both with the 340 in them. I have thinking about getting a new boat and wondered how much of a difference there was in the two engines. The 340 always seemed to do fine but sometimes it just seemed a little under powered. Is there much of a top end speed difference between the two. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance. Trent

have the HH and friend has 340

HH pulls better out of the hole with weight but also burns more fuel

hard to compare top end speed because that is mostly what prop is being used

a 1235 with the 340 pulls well fully loaded but you loss top end

I run a 1237 on my HH and love it

but I run full ballast plus 2000 or so

I never really go faster then 35

If i remember correctly I top out at 46 with the 1237

stock 381 top out 52

side note the HH sounds way better :)

Need a little imput from anyone who has driven both. I had an 05 and 07 23LSV both with the 340 in them. I have thinking about getting a new boat and wondered how much of a difference there was in the two engines. The 340 always seemed to do fine but sometimes it just seemed a little under powered. Is there much of a top end speed difference between the two. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance. Trent

I've got an 07 VLX with the HH, and I tested an 08 VLX later with the 340. I had the dealer swap my OJ475 onto the 08, so I had an apples to apples comparison. The 340 was about 4-5 mph slower on top end.

Need a little input from anyone who has driven both. I had an 05 and 07 23LSV both with the 340 in them. I have thinking about getting a new boat and wondered how much of a difference there was in the two engines. The 340 always seemed to do fine but sometimes it just seemed a little under powered. Is there much of a top end speed difference between the two. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance. Trent

stock 381 top out 52

23LSV doing 52.. uhhh.. :unsure: Get the hammer head if you can afford it, and if you want it to go 52, don't buy a GPS ;)

2008 23 LSV with HH and stock prop...............50 MPH according to speedo and GPS. Only did it once. Can't ride at 50, so don't care.

EDIT..........3 people in the boat.

Edited by skyskier

stock 381 top out 52

23LSV doing 52.. uhhh.. :unsure: Get the hammer head if you can afford it, and if you want it to go 52, don't buy a GPS ;)

Yea... 2X

Wake Board Mag said 43 with 350 hp: http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/VTD/2009/Ma...re=1&boat=5

Edited by Five Cent Worth

stock 381 top out 52

I have a vlx speeds are from my boat speedo only

Edited by my malibu

Yeah, you didn't hit 52....only according to the speedo. My VLX/HH/Acme 381 combo would max at 48 at sea level, 46-47 at elevation....GPS verified. The speedo always said 53. Monsoon VLXs that I've been in lose about 3-4 mph on the top.