Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ANY COMMENTS ON THIS????

javamans

friend had this boat and that motor runs strong

believe the starter is encased in oil if I remember right

average wake depending on sacs

I believe those boats had a chine lock problem due to the molds being left out in the sun and warping.

Our first boat was a 1999 Toyota Epic E22 - basically the same model as the boat listed. We had ours for a year then purchased a VRide. As mentioned epicmarine.com is the website for all things Toyota boats- great support site with lots of knowledgeable users and access to parts etc. Toyota's were made from 1999-2002 and included a 22ft vdrive model. There are areas where former dealers still provide strong service support including Marine Products here in Utah.

My friend had one and the engines dont have enough stroke , so the pull out of the hole shot was very sluggish, every time you would cut hard you could here and feel the engine bog down, I was very disapointed with the performance.

I used a '99 Epic 21 for nine seasons. The only thing I ever did to the engine was change the oil, change the impeller, and change two spark plugs. It is by no means the best performing boat, but they sure are reliable, and good on gas. Very straightforward construction using mostly off the shelf generic components.

The boats were recalled in '00 I think to check for the chine lock/warping problem. I heard some owners got new boats. My boat was fine.

BTW, I sold mine in less than a day for half what I paid for it. Not bad for nine years.

Ub

Edited by UberXY
I used a '99 Epic 21 for nine seasons. The only thing I ever did to the engine was change the oil, change the impeller, and change two spark plugs. It is by no means the best performing boat, but they sure are reliable, and good on gas. Very straightforward construction using mostly off the shelf generic components.

The boats were recalled in '00 I think to check for the chine lock/warping problem. I heard some owners got new boats. My boat was fine.

BTW, I sold mine in less than a day for half what I paid for it. Not bad for nine years.

Ub

FIC, that is why it was so sluggish, it's only a two cylinder :)

Ub

Sounds like you're talking about a monsoon...... Whistling.gif

The starter is inside the intake valley underneath the intake manifold. Since it is an overhead cam engine the intake valley is a dry valley, so no oil on the starter. It is a reliable design that has been used for years, starting with Lexus in 1990, and continuing with the Cadillac Northstar engine as well. Starters are fun to change though. I have worked on a few of these booats, and they are very reliable. The engine used is also the only engine worldwide to be used in production for automobiles, marine use, and FAA certified for aircraft use. I get to change the timing belt on one in a few weeks for someone up here, nice boats to work on.