Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Half closed cooling system

Todd34

We live on brackish water and I am about to put in a half closed cooling system. I have an 04 380HH and I know the risers and manifolds will probably have to be replaced in a few years but it is my understanding that a full closed system isn't available for older engines and probably wouldn't be all that cost effective. When I do replace them, I plan to install cast iron.

Have any of you installed a closed system yourself? I am a fairly mechanical guy and if it isn't too crazy would plan to do it myself. I called Inmar about it and then called a couple of Inmar dealers to check pricing. I also left a message with Orca Marine. Have any of you bought directly from Orca?

Thanks,

Todd

i have the Orca system in my boat, and I have bought directly from them. i bought their cleaning kit, i think it is called. It includes new end caps for the heat exchanger, along with a rod (basically a piece of plastic that broke right away) to clean out the channels inside the heat exchanger). also includes new corosion anodes (which you can buy locally at just about any marine store - i.e. west marine).

My neighbor bought the whole kit from orca for his Echelon, and he and i did the install. very easy.

Well, Orca got back to me and apparently, they don't have a system for sale for my motor because of the risers. They haven't been able to get a boat in their shop with them and therefore haven't made a kit. A couple Inmar dealers around here got back to me but they are about $1000.00 more than what Orca charges for a normal Inmar system.

Anyone know of other options?

Thanks,

Todd