Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Early Season on the Sacramento River

Winz

This last weekend it was 78 degrees in Sac. Beautiful day to hit the river to start the 2009 season! Managed to get my buddies kid up on a wake surf board - the kid has amazing balance so it wasn't hard. Video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPilFCXth0o

After a day of fun, we were headed back to the boat launch and managed to hit a submerged log going about 25 MPH. Sheared the rudder off, broke the prop, small tear in the Gelcoat/fiberglass. Did not take on any water, but had to be towed to the launch. Don't know the full extent of the damaged, but managed to get the boat into a shop this morning. Looks like the boat is out of commission for about 2 weeks.

Tough way to start the year........

Not a good way to start the season..... where did you launch?

How cold was that water? He is only wearing shorts and a l/f. Good Job on the surfing part of it Thumbup.gif

Ouch, you’re not the only one that I’ve heard of hitting submerged logs this season.

Nice surfing! Hopefully Larson is up to the task and will get you back out on the water ASAP...

How cold was that water? He is only wearing shorts and a l/f. Good Job on the surfing part of it Thumbup.gif

Water was 62 - just like being in Tahoe mid summer : )

Those boys didn't care how cold the water was, they were going surfing and wakeboarding. I stayed in the boat - except for the part where I had to pull the disabled boat to the trailer : (

That looks like so much fun really looking foward to getting our new VLX and being able to do that; love that rumbling sound of the engine; thankyou. Sorry to hear about the damage, all the best with repairs.

Sorry to hear about the mishap...not a good way to start the season. Hope you get back on the water soon.

Sweet surfing video. Was that his first time surfing?

Ouch !

I did the same thing on the Delta 3 years ago, hit a submerged Giant Sequoia, no more prop the day before my 4th July House boat trip, Mad.gif Now I have a spare.

This last weekend it was 78 degrees in Sac. Beautiful day to hit the river to start the 2009 season! Managed to get my buddies kid up on a wake surf board - the kid has amazing balance so it wasn't hard. Video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPilFCXth0o

After a day of fun, we were headed back to the boat launch and managed to hit a submerged log going about 25 MPH. Sheared the rudder off, broke the prop, small tear in the Gelcoat/fiberglass. Did not take on any water, but had to be towed to the launch. Don't know the full extent of the damaged, but managed to get the boat into a shop this morning. Looks like the boat is out of commission for about 2 weeks.

Tough way to start the year........

Looks like you were out by the West Sacto area by the video, not sure but the shores look familiar. Lots of drift wood and logs at this time, but sorry to hear of you damage. You'll be back up in no time if you push your dealer Thumbup.gif

Are logs or other debris common out there on sac river? We havnt been up there before but were thinking about it maybe sometime this summer

Are logs or other debris common out there on sac river? We havnt been up there before but were thinking about it maybe sometime this summer

Earlier in the year with high runoff debris is common, the submerged logs are the worst. During the summer you should be just fine depending where you go.

Water was 62 - just like being in Tahoe mid summer : )

Those boys didn't care how cold the water was, they were going surfing and wakeboarding. I stayed in the boat - except for the part where I had to pull the disabled boat to the trailer : (

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. 62 degrees. That's pretty warm, up at Oroville the water temp was around 52, and there was a lot driftwood.