Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Advice for boatlift covers

Minnesota1

I just bought a Malibu vRide and was looking to get the panels on my boatlift cover extended to protect it from sun damage. Problem is, the back of the boat faces south, where I want the extended panels. The convas company asked how I wanted it made to allow the boat to go in and out easily.

Anybody have a similar set up or any advice??

Thanks,

Minnesota1

MalibuNation
I just bought a Malibu vRide and was looking to get the panels on my boatlift cover extended to protect it from sun damage. Problem is, the back of the boat faces south, where I want the extended panels. The convas company asked how I wanted it made to allow the boat to go in and out easily.

Thanks,

Minnesota1

There's a place out of northern IN that makes these ... you would roll the panel up like you would roll up a sleeping bag and secure them with straps/rope/velcro and then when the boat is in the lift and done for the day you just unroll the panel. I'll see if I can find a website for them.

Thanks,

Minnesota1

There's a place out of northern IN that makes these ... you would roll the panel up like you would roll up a sleeping bag and secure them with straps/rope/velcro and then when the boat is in the lift and done for the day you just unroll the panel. I'll see if I can find a website for them.

black&blue has one of those specific things on order for his new ride & set up, I think he got it from Grand Rapids.

rollup or zipper in the middle is what i am finding. i would think zipper in middle would be easy. i am getting ready to purchase and am going thru the same sort of thing. i am looking at the 30" sides as opposed to 36" to help some. i am looking to get the extention legs and hoping that i can drive on without much hassel with tower up and then crank up into the canopy. if not going to use boat for a while then lower tower, cover and crank up all the way. be sure to remember that the long sides will flap against your ride and can wear on your gel coat... like towing with a cover on. be sure you address either weighting or bungeeing? down the ends so they dont slap against your gel coat. of course if your canopy is much larger than boat it might not be an issue at the transom end.

Minnesota - i have a similar setup as you. My 2007 vRide sits on the lift in the dock all summer, and the back faces south and gets pounded by sun all day.

I've looked into this sunshade idea.

Here is what I was thinking about:

http://www.lasvegassolarscreens.com/

or

http://www.insolroll.com/standard.php?id=8

Basically mount this to the rafter/beam at the top of the dock, and its retractable/pull down when you aren't using the boat to protect and blocks out most of the damaging sun. They even have motorized ones.

I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. I think it will be several hundred dollars, and I'm saving my money for a rainy day right now b/c of the way things are going....

keep us informed with what you do, i'd like to see what other options you come up with for this solution, as I have the same problem...we have such nice boats, and you hate to see a boat that's in mint condition everywhere except the transom area is so sun-faded it looks noticably different!

Edited by tj_in_kc
rollup or zipper in the middle is what i am finding. i would think zipper in middle would be easy. i am getting ready to purchase and am going thru the same sort of thing. i am looking at the 30" sides as opposed to 36" to help some. i am looking to get the extention legs and hoping that i can drive on without much hassel with tower up and then crank up into the canopy. if not going to use boat for a while then lower tower, cover and crank up all the way. be sure to remember that the long sides will flap against your ride and can wear on your gel coat... like towing with a cover on. be sure you address either weighting or bungeeing? down the ends so they dont slap against your gel coat. of course if your canopy is much larger than boat it might not be an issue at the transom end.

Good points. Anybody have advice on the best way to minimize damage to the gel coat with the extended canopy??

We Sell them. What size is your boatlift canopy. They are sold in panels, so you don't have to roll the entire thing up

It is a Hewitt Lift. Off the top of my head I would estimate it as 22"L x 9"W.

Looking for something to span the width and wrap around the back sides about 3 feet.