Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Interior help and possibly a dumb question

I am installing new stereo equipment this weekend and need to know how to get the interior panel at the drivers armrest off or loose enough to get to the back of the head unit. I haven't really looked at it yet but I was hoping for a few tricks that might help. Also, I have a glass panel in the rear storage bin that has "Malibu" etched on it. Does anyone know what this is for? This is on a 2002 VLX. Thanks.

Edited by ncsumalibu

To get the arm rest off there are 3 or 4 nuts that you have to reach behind to get off and it helps to take the small panel off that the kill switch mounts to. if the "glass" your talking about is about 12" x 30" its probably the wind block that goes where the walk through to the bow is.

You shouldn't need to remove the panel to get to the back of the stereo. If you have the small metal key pieces for the stereo, you can remove the bezel around the front of the stereo, insert the keys & pull the head unit out without removing the panel.

If you want to remove the panel:

On my 2001 Sunsetter, there were 3 screws in the top of the panel, one from underneath the dash into the front edge of the panel and 2 screws into a brace near the bottom. It should then lift up & towards you before dropping back down & allowing you access. There are lots of things attached to that panel besides the stereo, but if you're careful, you can maneuver it pretty well to get access to whatever you want.

The glass panel should be the wind block for the the bow walk-thru.

Thanks, that makes sense about the glass panel but I just never thought of that. I don't have the metal tab things but I am going to try and locate some to make it easier.