Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What Vinyl Cleaner Do Yo Use?

ed obermeier

Been reading the thread about vinyl stitching problems, just wondered what I CAN use to clean my vinyl that won't create a problem. I've used some of the cleaners listed in the thread, particularly Simple Green and Mean Green, on the vinyl in my previous Supra but I never had any problems. If Malibu's vinyl is that sensitive I want to make sure I don't screw up my new-to-me '05 RLXI's vinyl (haven't done any cleaning in it yet but I will be soon hopefully). I'm assuming 303 Cleaner is OK? Thanks for all input.

Ed

Been reading the thread about vinyl stitching problems, just wondered what I CAN use to clean my vinyl that won't create a problem. I've used some of the cleaners listed in the thread, particularly Simple Green and Mean Green, on the vinyl in my previous Supra but I never had any problems. If Malibu's vinyl is that sensitive I want to make sure I don't screw up my new-to-me '05 RLXI's vinyl (haven't done any cleaning in it yet but I will be soon hopefully). I'm assuming 303 Cleaner is OK? Thanks for all input.

Ed

303 or Babe's Seat Soap. I use the latter w/ a magic eraser for the tough stains Thumbup.gif

Ed

303 or Babe's Seat Soap. I use the latter w/ a magic eraser for the tough stains Thumbup.gif

I used "Clorox Clean-up Cleaner with Bleach" on my Four Winns, which I just sold and is an '89 and the interior looked beautiful, never a problem. I just bought a '94 Echelon and had the interior reupholstered so now I am nervous about what to use too, sounds like 303 or Babe's has never given anyone trouble.

I use a product called Exquisite cleaner, it's freakin awesome. I got it off ebay in a concentrate bottle. It came as a quart and I only used half the bottle all last season and I clean the crap out of my boat. I went the babes route, 303, etc.. Nothing has worked as good as this stuff. It seams like it leaves the vinyl conditioned afterwards as well. My interior looks new.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Ace-Detail-Sup...s__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Edited by 06vlx

Ed

I used "Clorox Clean-up Cleaner with Bleach" on my Four Winns, which I just sold and is an '89 and the interior looked beautiful, never a problem. I just bought a '94 Echelon and had the interior reupholstered so now I am nervous about what to use too, sounds like 303 or Babe's has never given anyone trouble.

Oh :unsure: that sounds really strong, not sure that I'd use that on my boat.

303 is proven, though it is more of a protectant than a cleaner. The magic eraser does work good on any tough spots

Ed

Same here. I have had excellent results on my 05 Rlxi.

303 protectant is not a cleaner, rather a protectant. I use Vinyl Finish from Marine Specialty Group.

That's what I always used, based on recommendations from the manufacturer. However, it didn't seem to work any better than Fantastic. Recs used to specify Fantastic=ok, 409=not ok. Depending on the mark/stain, citrus cleaner seems to work as well or better. I always clean rinse, then 303 afterward.

I do have a couple of marks that I've been unable to get out with either of the above. I may have to break down and try the Magic Eraser. . .

303 protectant is not a cleaner, rather a protectant. I use Vinyl Finish from Marine Specialty Group.

To clarify, 303 makes a cleaner, as well as the (more popularly known) protectant.

I was going to say that, figured anyone already using 303 Protectant knew they also made a cleaner. I've never used it though, I was wondering if anyone else had, what their experience with it was etc. I'd never heard of the problems with the stitching getting eaten up by certain cleaners before; never had that problem with any other brand boat I've owned and I've used a lot of common and fairly harsh cleaners on vinyl with no negative effects. I'm aware of plenty that work great, BUT - will they destroy the stitching in my new-to-me Malibu?

So I guess that was the crux of the question, what cleaner or cleaners are there available that anyone here can more or less guarantee from personal experience will both work well AND won't eat the stitching? Dontknow.gif

Ed

To clarify, 303 makes a cleaner, as well as the (more popularly known) protectant.

I was going to say that, figured anyone already using 303 Protectant knew they also made a cleaner. I've never used it though, I was wondering if anyone else had, what their experience with it was etc. I'd never heard of the problems with the stitching getting eaten up by certain cleaners before; never had that problem with any other brand boat I've owned and I've used a lot of common and fairly harsh cleaners on vinyl with no negative effects. I'm aware of plenty that work great, BUT - will they destroy the stitching in my new-to-me Malibu?

So I guess that was the crux of the question, what cleaner or cleaners are there available that anyone here can more or less guarantee from personal experience will both work well AND won't eat the stitching? Dontknow.gif

Ed

See my post above, that is my personal experience.

I am using a 3M vinyl cleaner now (based solely on their reputation)....then protect w/ 303 Protectant. Will probably try the 303 vinyl cleaner this year...followed by the 303 protectant.

Ive been using babes on my last two boats and Ive been happy with it. No stitching coming out of either boat.

I use an industrial cleaner which ironically I just found out that my dealer uses the same thing. It is called SD 20...good stuff! I found it in the airline industry as a cleaner.

Ed

I saw that 06vlx, and my thanks to you for the reply. I'm looking into it. If you've used it for a couple of years now with no problems that should speak for itself I'd think.

I'm kinda hoping someone knows of something out there I can just walk into an auto parts store, K-Mart, etc and get off the shelf that will work and not destroy my seams (runnin' scared here). Something fairly common. Although I'm not at all opposed to ordering off the Net or by phone if necessary. Which I'd probably have to do with 303 Cleaner anyway since it's not all that commonly available...

Sounds like your suggestion, the 303 Cleaner, Babes, and the Magic Eraser seem to be the best recommendations. Thanks to all for the input and anything else you'd care to add to this.

Ed

Ed

I saw that 06vlx, and my thanks to you for the reply. I'm looking into it. If you've used it for a couple of years now with no problems that should speak for itself I'd think.

I'm kinda hoping someone knows of something out there I can just walk into an auto parts store, K-Mart, etc and get off the shelf that will work and not destroy my seams (runnin' scared here). Something fairly common. Although I'm not at all opposed to ordering off the Net or by phone if necessary. Which I'd probably have to do with 303 Cleaner anyway since it's not all that commonly available...

Sounds like your suggestion, the 303 Cleaner, Babes, and the Magic Eraser seem to be the best recommendations. Thanks to all for the input and anything else you'd care to add to this.

Ed

I guess I'll be a dissenter but I've not found babes products the holy grail. I've tried it but prefer Vinyl Finish and after 8 years on my old SLXI and on the dark side boat not one stain, nor stitching issues or any other vinyl problems. Vinyl Finish cleans faster and with less effort than babes did. After I clean the boat, and almost after each outing, I follow-up w/ 303 after using Vinyl Finish. We use the Magic Eraser as well and found it to help w/ those pesky spots. One of the more important things to be aware of is never use anything w/ ammonia, as it'll strip the protective top layer off.