Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ultimate boarding Boat

Beau

Somebody on here said something to the tune of: "The bigger, badder, more expensive the boat, with the loudest stereo, the worse the riders." And I think that's true. Guys like these are probably better than me with the wake they have.

Hey they are trying. As javamans said "I'll trade him payments". That brings up a great point. While watching the new last night they were reporting how the American will start cutting back and not need the 3rd car or the most up to date cell phone we will get rid of the luxury items. Dontknow.gif Some days I wish I could say NO to the toys but they are sooo fun.

MalibuNation

As Pete said ... we have a young whipper snapper who owns an empty lot on our lake and he has a boat like this and him and his wife are much better than me. A very nice couple.

Though he really like riding behind my boat much better.

As Pete said ... we have a young whipper snapper who owns an empty lot on our lake and he has a boat like this and him and his wife are much better than me. A very nice couple.

Though he really like riding behind my boat much better.

There are many days that I wish I would have done it that way instead of mortgaging everything to have it. Dontknow.gif

In the 1970's I waterskied twice a week with "The Spanada Kid" behind his 13 foot Boston Whaler "SPORT 13". It had a manual start 40 hp Johnson on it and carried one 6 gallon fuel tank. No speedo. no tach, no fear, no clue; total weight was maybe 800 ? lbs. We skied it flat out wide open throttle baby inside of Ross Island on the Willamette River. This was a protected lagoon that was owned by the Ross Island Sand and Gravel Company that you could access from the Willamette. Flat water and no wake. "The Spanada Kid" had a habit of consuming copious amounts of Spanada wine on our frequent boating excursions. And if you were out skiing he might slip a little Spanada into your open beer can that you left on your beach towel.

We thought we were good skiers then in the era of wooden ski masterpieces made by Connoly and Maharajah. My first boat was a new 1972 SeaRay Inboard/Outboard that was promptly named "The SeaPlow". The other skiers preferred that I kept it on the beach. I only kept it for one year.

Those were the "good old days" for sure.

"Sport 13"

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/13/models.html

Edited by DONTW8

Allright,

Since we're going down memory lane...here's what I learned to wakeboard behind and drive a boat.

It's my buddy's 16'? Sea Doo Sportster? 2 rotax jet drives. We mounted a tall single pole to the ski pylon and

braced that with some outrigger looking support poles. We thought it was fun back in the day.

Me and Chrissy are on the far right, my buddy and his (now) wife on the left. Mind you, this was circa 10 years ago.

post-29-1238348204_thumb.jpg

That dude is getting some serious air considering there is no wake. Newbies should be required to learn how to pop behind a boat like that. Federal law........I'm all for it.

Memory lane it is. I learned to ski when I was 5 behind a 1969 Aeroglass with an 85 horse outboard. I had that boat all the way through college ('91). When the foot blew out of the moter (89) we found out they quite making the part we needed in '72. We put a 90 horse Merc. on the back. Finally had a tach but never a speed o. My first wake board was a "skerfer" still have it in the garage.

REW

Allright,

Since we're going down memory lane...here's what I learned to wakeboard behind and drive a boat.

It's my buddy's 16'? Sea Doo Sportster? 2 rotax jet drives. We mounted a tall single pole to the ski pylon and

braced that with some outrigger looking support poles. We thought it was fun back in the day.

Me and Chrissy are on the far right, my buddy and his (now) wife on the left. Mind you, this was circa 10 years ago.

I used to board behind the same boat. A friend of mine owned it. I remember that it struggled to pull us up at first but once you were up, hang on. The driver had to quickly throttle back or you would be going faster than you wanted very quickly. It was a fun boat.

Oh Snap Dragon! That kid's getting some POP for an innie-outie ollie. Skillz!

As far as the "better the boat worse the riders" its very true...and here are a few reasons why. First and foremost it takes LOTS of water time to get good at wakeboarding or skating. Skills at wakeboarding = big wakes. Big wakes = lots of weight. Lots of water time + lots of weight = destruction to the boat. Lots of Double ups = gel cracks, etc. etc. Anyone who has ridden with a few pro's know just how hard they are on their equipment.

Personally I am of the same belief. I prefer to work one day less a week, and get an extra day on the water...but hey everyone's different.

Is that a TITAN TOWER??????

Actually it looks like a Monster Tower.

That my be one of the monster girls spotting. Whistling.gif

What a bunch of elitist...I would be proud to jump in with those any day of the week and learn a thing or two. That is the kind of boat that I started in when I was beginning/younger and will most likely be the type of boat I will end up with when I trade in the sports for fishing in my retirement days.

What a bunch of elitist...I would be proud to jump in with those any day of the week and learn a thing or two. That is the kind of boat that I started in when I was beginning/younger and will most likely be the type of boat I will end up with when I trade in the sports for fishing in my retirement days.

Hey don't get all bent out of shape, I think we all started in someting besides what we have now. It took me thirty years to realize my dream of having a comp boat. I wanted one since I saw the MC stars and strips in the late 70's when I was about 10. And I will probably have something else in retirement, I was thinking more along the lines of a wooded 1950's era ChrisCraft my self but to each his own. Most of us were pretty impressed and some stated as much with the "skillz" of the rider getting that much air behind a no wake boat Thumbup.gif .

REW

I hope no one is in front of him.

edit; nothing bothers me more than a driver who watches his skier.

Edited by electricjohn

Hey don't get all bent out of shape, I think we all started in someting besides what we have now. It took me thirty years to realize my dream of having a comp boat. I wanted one since I saw the MC stars and strips in the late 70's when I was about 10. And I will probably have something else in retirement, I was thinking more along the lines of a wooded 1950's era ChrisCraft my self but to each his own. Most of us were pretty impressed and some stated as much with the "skillz" of the rider getting that much air behind a no wake boat Thumbup.gif .

REW

Here ya go REW......

1040633916_d1e9392a0f.jpg

1040636788_1b7e721450.jpg

1132533321_ba1ab749f9.jpg

REW

Here ya go REW......

1040633916_d1e9392a0f.jpg

1040636788_1b7e721450.jpg

1132533321_ba1ab749f9.jpg

That is a great looking boat. I would like to have a old wood boat like that some day. Thumbup.gif

REW

The only people who would be offended by my comments would be an elitist right... Dontknow.gif

We pull up one weekend to the party beach area of the lake in our 04 LSV, a group of young adults are parked on the beach in a late 70's early 80's all around family style boat with an outboard, it is white with hand painted big blue drops of water down it. My buddy looks over and says, "what a piece of pooh". I respond with, "beats the hell out of your boat!" he says, "what boat I don't have a boat." "EXACTLY, now shut up!" Later they came over to admire the LSV, I offered them a pull and they came out with us for a run, they ended up helping my buddy pull off his first back roll.

EVERY boat is the BEST if it is YOURS!