Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ice is out.

Sixball

Ice on my lake is gone. Yahoo.gif We had two big ice burgs last night at night fall. No ice anywhere this morning. Well only one thin to do yep I put the docks and lift in. It looks good but it may be a short time before I put the boat on the water The next two nights should go below freezing. Also way to much junk floating stumps logs and a bunch of small junk. The lake needs some time to flush. Also put in my ski buddy's.

I just got my boat lift out of the water yesterday. . .well, out of the ice, that is. Fortunately, it is still intact and not bent or damaged that I know of so far. The ice is thinner and moving today, so I'll be putting it right back in SOON!

Pretty weird that I could take it out for the season one day and put it right back in the next. . . Crazy.gif

And to all those who have open water, you can :biteme: for another couple of days!

Last weekend I installed a webcam at our vacation place in northern Michigan so that I could keep an eye on the progress of the ice. When I checked it today, there was a fresh powdering of snow from last night and it is snowing right now! The ice had receded some in the past week, but this is going to put Spring behind a bit up there. I was hoping to get in the water in April. Looks unlikely. Cry.gif

I just got my boat lift out of the water yesterday. . .well, out of the ice, that is. Fortunately, it is still intact and not bent or damaged that I know of so far. The ice is thinner and moving today, so I'll be putting it right back in SOON!

That was a quite a chance you took there...glad it worked out. A neighbor downstream tried that last winter and his lift ended up being a pile of scrap aluminum. Cry.gif

Pretty weird that I could take it out for the season one day and put it right back in the next. . . Crazy.gif

And to all those who have open water, you can :biteme: for another couple of days!

Water temps this past weekend were 64....whooo hooo! Whistling.gif

Last weekend I installed a webcam at our vacation place in northern Michigan so that I could keep an eye on the progress of the ice. When I checked it today, there was a fresh powdering of snow from last night and it is snowing right now! The ice had receded some in the past week, but this is going to put Spring behind a bit up there. I was hoping to get in the water in April. Looks unlikely. Cry.gif

Where is your place up north? It was snowing here yesterday but its all gone now we also had very hi winds. more stumps and logs coming down the lake. The 10 day forecast looks bad cold snow and rain most of the days.

That was a quite a chance you took there...glad it worked out. A neighbor downstream tried that last winter and his lift ended up being a pile of scrap aluminum. Cry.gif

Ya if I left my lift in on our lake it would be trash by spring. after the ice is in the lake level is drooped four to five feet and it would bend the lift. In the spring we get large ice flows moving with the wind also. Not a choice here it must come out.

Oh, I don't have a choice where I am either, really. Due to various circumstances, I did not get the lift out in time last 'Fall' and the lake froze solid a full week earlier than I've ever seen it. I've been worried about it all Winter and consider myself extremely lucky that it didn't get pretzeled. I'll never leave it in again.

Ice was on the move yesterday and is now about gone. It's just a matter of getting the right help at the right time and I'll have dock, lift, and boat IN THE WATER!!!

Oh, I don't have a choice where I am either, really. Due to various circumstances, I did not get the lift out in time last 'Fall' and the lake froze solid a full week earlier than I've ever seen it. I've been worried about it all Winter and consider myself extremely lucky that it didn't get pretzeled. I'll never leave it in again.

Ice was on the move yesterday and is now about gone. It's just a matter of getting the right help at the right time and I'll have dock, lift, and boat IN THE WATER!!!

Oops.gif If it eve happens again a chain saw works. I have cut things out of ice.

Oops.gif If it eve happens again a chain saw works. I have cut things out of ice.

Yeah, that's what I used for my dock ladder. However, I could not keep my chainsaw running--it was quite cold in addition to the water being sprayed up into the saw. I got my dock out by lifting each section UP off the posts, while the posts remained frozen in. The went back with a pipe wrench and spun the posts until they lifted up through the ice. Crazy.gif

I know a chainsaw can work, my ski partner's ran all day while we installed the slalom course a couple years back. We measured the course using surveying equipment, marked it on the ice, then cut out a hole and dropped a concrete block with sub-jug for each and every buoy. That was a fun day. ;)

Where is your place up north? It was snowing here yesterday but its all gone now we also had very hi winds. more stumps and logs coming down the lake. The 10 day forecast looks bad cold snow and rain most of the days.

On Lake Charlevoix. I'm looking at the webcam now, and some of the snow has melted. It is very sunny & according to AccuWeather, it is 33 degrees there. It's supposed to be in the upper 40's the rest of the week with rain the next couple of days. Hopefully that will get rid of the rest of the snow and really shrink the ice considerably.

martinarcher

Our lake is ice free, but I'm without a suit. The water is 45 now. I think I might give it a try when it gets into the 50's. I've got a Titan tower, Wetsounds, and a couple ballast bags to plumb in before it is time for the lake. That should keep me busy until the water is 50 something. Thumbup.gif

We just got a bunch of snow (15"+)...We had all the snow melted until this weekend!!! Plus the new snow isn't going to help the river situation much!!! Hopefully it melts slow/late enough...I think we will be fine! Hoping the ice melts quickly!!!

FINALLY! My ice was on the move Sunday. Got the dock and hoist in Tuesday and splashed the boat yesterday. She runs like a Swiss watch.

Wow I am jealous. My lift and dock went in last Saturday. The Bu is still in the garage. The nights are just to cold many in mid 20's. Our lake has so much junk floating I could not ski even if the weather was better. I did roll it out of the Garage yesterday and put another coat of polish on it and sat in it Yahoo.gif It can't be far away now. Dontknow.gif

Edited by Sixball

My lake was surprisingly clear of debris yesterday. Not that there's usually too much, but almost always a log or piece of dock out there somewhere.

Unfortunately, I was third in line to drive my baby--

The wife drove it off the trailer and home to hoist.

My 7 YO son drove it off the hoist and around the lake.

THEN in was my turn. Sheesh. Cry.gif

"the lake froze solid a full week earlier than I've ever seen it. "

And we are supposed to be concerned about global WARMING?

I spent all day cleaning and prepping the boat for tomorrows outing. Supposed to be 70* here and we are hopefully going to get out.

Drysuit, check. Wind dam, check. 12v heated blankets, check. Yep were ready Thumbup.gif

My lake was surprisingly clear of debris yesterday. Not that there's usually too much, but almost always a log or piece of dock out there somewhere.

Unfortunately, I was third in line to drive my baby--

The wife drove it off the trailer and home to hoist.

My 7 YO son drove it off the hoist and around the lake.

THEN in was my turn. Sheesh. Cry.gif

In a few years when your son is pulling you I'm sure you'll be ok with that Thumbup.gif