Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

alternator

How hard is it to replace the alternator on an '04 VLX? I've done alternators on a chevy blazer and silverado but never a boat.

I shouldn't really be any different than changing the alt on a chevy truck. Only difference is it may be harder to get to depending on where the alt is located on the engine in the tight engine compartment.

you will want to pay the premium to stick w a marine alternator (and starter when the day comes).

the automotive versions are not sealed up as swell and have a tendency to make boats (closed compartments w fuel) go boom.

Tvano is right, don't replace the alt. with an automotive one if that's what you're doing. It has to be marinized.

As far as actually replacing it, it's a piece of cake. Just remove the battery connections, remove the engine side panel on the driver's side. You'll have to lay down in there and it would be good to have a helper hand you whatever sockets and wrenches you'll need from outside the boat. Loosen the belt and I think it's 2-3 bolts after removing the wire(s) from the back. Make sure you mark the wires if there's more than 1, I can't remember.

Almost every city has a rebuilder, It might be better and cheaper to have the marinized one rebuilt. They have a built in voltage regulator,that gos bad and they are cheap.

Tvano is right, don't replace the alt. with an automotive one if that's what you're doing. It has to be marinized.

As far as actually replacing it, it's a piece of cake. Just remove the battery connections, remove the engine side panel on the driver's side. You'll have to lay down in there and it would be good to have a helper hand you whatever sockets and wrenches you'll need from outside the boat. Loosen the belt and I think it's 2-3 bolts after removing the wire(s) from the back. Make sure you mark the wires if there's more than 1, I can't remember.

I'll be replacing it on the boat I just bought at the previous owners expense... she already ordered the alternator from the dealer and ill be installing it wednesday

Seems unusual to have an alt. failure on an 04 boat. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone on here saying they had an alternator go bad. How was this diagnosed?