Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spare Propeller

Olivertuft

Just curious what the general consensus is regarding owning a spare propeller for the boat.

Usually we do our riding here locally on a lake so if there's an owie, we are close to home and our dealership.

Im thinking this summer though we may make a few trips accross the mountains to the east side and the Columbia river. My obvious concern is, if should something unfortunate and unforseen happens, I will be left high and dry till we get home....

The question is, is the price of a new / extra prop. worth the piece of mind that comes with it?

Thanks for your input.

Its a necessity. I carry one on the boat with tool kit. Nothing to ruin a weekend like hitting a log on Friday 10 minutes after gettingon the lake and having to row back to shore and be SOL for the weekend.

Definitely worth it IMO. Don't forget to get a puller and spare pin and key as well. You can get all of those as part of a kit.

I got my kit from Elberts, but there are plenty of other places, and maybe even a group buy available.

Edited by obski

Thanks a bunch you guys. I kinda figured as much. Once the investment is made it wont cost any more to have it, but will certainly pay off every penny's worth if it's needed.

Cheers!

Just curious what the general consensus is regarding owning a spare propeller for the boat.

Usually we do our riding here locally on a lake so if there's an owie, we are close to home and our dealership.

Im thinking this summer though we may make a few trips accross the mountains to the east side and the Columbia river. My obvious concern is, if should something unfortunate and unforseen happens, I will be left high and dry till we get home....

The question is, is the price of a new / extra prop. worth the piece of mind that comes with it?

Thanks for your input.

I spend almost every weekend of the summer on the Columbia River(lake Entiat). At the beginning of the summer there is alot of wood debris, but as it gets later in the season not so much. I would definately be buying a spare if I were you, you can still get in on the group buy if you pull the trigger by the end of this month.

Thanks for your input.

Personaly I would keep your eyes open some one always seems to be selling a prop for a decent price. If you can`t find one before you go then grab a new one. I will tell you this it is a must have !Some how I have three props. Cr@p happens and every time it has happened I have been glad that I have a spare.

Thanks for your input.

while i may need one at some point, in the lakes i go to i don't foresee needing one anytime soon, and am therefore selling the one that came with my boat (same boat as yours with a new acme 537) as i put on an acme 1235.

if interested you can have it for $275 + shipping from Havasu.

Edited by Cervelo

This is your big chance to try a different prop. Buy the one you think will work the best for your situation.............try both..........leave your favorite prop on the boat and your least favorite one in the boat for a spare. No matter how careful you are, you will need the spare some day.

Btw, I have a 13.5X17.5 for sale. 250.00. PM if interested. Oh, is it ethical to stress the need for a spare and then offer one for sale? Whistling.gif

EDIT....I swear cervello and I posted at the same time!

Edited by skyskier

In an effort to be fair, It looks like I'll be forced to buy them both...lol

I'd hate to see any orphaned propellers.

Im looking at the ACME 4-Blade propellers.

I see there are 3 different ones available outside of the 1235.

There is a 381, a 537, and a 857. I read the detail specs on them, but dont know what that means as far as proformance and such.

Thanks again,

Josh

Since you are a crew supporter, pm D-Goose so he can send you the info for the Group buy (either OJ or Acme)(I'm partial to Acme) Call Gary @ Delta Propellers on Monday & give him all your boat specs, HP, current prop, speed @ rpm (If you know what it is) What your boat use is etc.... & he'll most likely be able to give you a good reccommendation which you can compare to what info you get here on the site. Then if you feel up to it, buy one no later than Tuesday. Price increase on 4/1. I just ordered my second from them today.

In an effort to be fair, It looks like I'll be forced to buy them both...lol

I'd hate to see any orphaned propellers.

Im looking at the ACME 4-Blade propellers.

I see there are 3 different ones available outside of the 1235.

There is a 381, a 537, and a 857. I read the detail specs on them, but dont know what that means as far as proformance and such.

Thanks again,

Josh

You do not want the Acme 381 for your boat unless you are not looking for much hole shot. The 537 is a good overall performer for normally weighted wakeboarding. The 857 is more suited for the heavily weighted boat with a loss at the top end.

I have a couple that would be good for spairs also.

Hey Skyskier, are you on the warm or cold side?

Andy

Edited by awilco
I have a couple that would be good for spairs also.

Hey Skyskier, are you on the warm or cold side?

Andy

Warm side. Both Waters Estates. We ride in Elk Creek.

I definitely think a spare is a great thing to have. But there are 2 routes.

1) If you are dialed and love your current prop, and don't want to look for a better one and spend $400 doing it. you could buy someones old CNC that he dinged up and got fixed, or have it fixed. Or even and older OJ 4 force that may not give you the same performance, but hey, its just a spare until your get your primary back.

2) Take the opportunity to try a few differen't options to optimize your specific need. There are a lot of options out there.

I took the 2nd route, because I knew I could gain and I like to monkey around with things. But keep in mind that takes some time to monkey around with things.

Thanks for your input.

Yes, as everyone states, get one. And remember, depending on which stretch of the river you are in, the Columbia has lots of sand/gravel bars where you don't expect them, so keep your eyes out where other boats go (and don't go) and keep an eye on the depth.

Which prop is good for the hammerhead vlx 2009? I need a spare as well, but do not know which prop comes standard?