Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sea Strainer

mcbean7

Hi guys.

Certain times of the year our lake has a lot of crap floating around. On our last boat (DD) we sucked up some crap and clogged the tranny cooler resulting in overheating and shredding an impeller. I ended up installing a sea strainer to help keep crap out of the engine and it worked pretty well.

I remember looking at an 09 SAN 210 at the boat show and saw they had a sea strainer installed. The sales guy says they came standard on those boats. I thought it was a great idea.

I'd like to do the same with my new boat (06 VLX). My question is how many of you added a sea strainer to your engine? Also, where did you mount it to? There's not much room back there.

Pics would be great.

Thanks in advance.

I had one on my previous boat and I was often surprised at the crap that would show up in it (twigs, leaves, small hunks of styrofoam etc). I'm intending to put one on this boat as well; anyone have a good suggestion on where to get one aftermarket? I think it would be money well spent and I don't know why it isn't standard issue.

Ed

Hi guys.

Certain times of the year our lake has a lot of crap floating around. On our last boat (DD) we sucked up some crap and clogged the tranny cooler resulting in overheating and shredding an impeller. I ended up installing a sea strainer to help keep crap out of the engine and it worked pretty well.

I remember looking at an 09 SAN 210 at the boat show and saw they had a sea strainer installed. The sales guy says they came standard on those boats. I thought it was a great idea.

I'd like to do the same with my new boat (06 VLX). My question is how many of you added a sea strainer to your engine? Also, where did you mount it to? There's not much room back there.

Pics would be great.

Thanks in advance.

I had the dealer install one on my boat as part of the purchase. My lake isn't that ridden with debris, but I thought it a good idea in case I take my boat to other lakes. It is mounted in the bilge area toward the stern on the port side. Sorry, no pictures and my boat is 3 1/2 hours away.

I bought my boat used (originating from a lake in upstate NY...that I presume may have had weeds). It has a strainer that fits easily in the bilge that looks like this one (I happened to see earlier today). Seems like a reasonable price...

Bakes strainer

Edited by davemac
I had one on my previous boat and I was often surprised at the crap that would show up in it (twigs, leaves, small hunks of styrofoam etc). I'm intending to put one on this boat as well; anyone have a good suggestion on where to get one aftermarket? I think it would be money well spent and I don't know why it isn't standard issue.

Ed

I totally agree. I found all sorts of interesting stuff in my strainer too (wood chips, leaves, weeds). That's why I'd like to get this thing installed on my new boat.

Use the word "strainer" in the Search function. This has been discussed multiple times in the past. One of the threads has pictures from my install (but mine is on a DD). As long as you have it apart...put a shut-off valve at the water intake thru-hull. Yes.gif