Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower Light Recommendations

aylor11

I will be taking delivery of my boat in April and I want to have the dealer put on some tower lights on the XS tower which I hear only has 4 spots for lights. I have researched some threads and see that LPA HID lights are popular but I have also seen the new Titan Lights as well (come in polished, green, white, black). First question (I think I know but I want to make sure), the LPA HID lights, what is the difference in the spot and the flood? I am assuming the spots have a more direct focused light and the flood lights up a broader area. Which do you recommend for 2 facing forward and 2 facing backwards? Also, I can't seem to find pricing either, any ideas? I tried clicking on the link to email the owner and I get an error.

On the new Titan Lights (sold in pack of 4 for $595 for the XS Tower), are these HID lights also? Does anyone have these and can they compare the two as to which is best?

Thanks for helping all, much appreciated. Rockon.gif

I will be taking delivery of my boat in April and I want to have the dealer put on some tower lights on the XS tower which I hear only has 4 spots for lights. I have researched some threads and see that LPA HID lights are popular but I have also seen the new Titan Lights as well (come in polished, green, white, black). First question (I think I know but I want to make sure), the LPA HID lights, what is the difference in the spot and the flood? I am assuming the spots have a more direct focused light and the flood lights up a broader area. Which do you recommend for 2 facing forward and 2 facing backwards? Also, I can't seem to find pricing either, any ideas? I tried clicking on the link to email the owner and I get an error.

On the new Titan Lights (sold in pack of 4 for $595 for the XS Tower), are these HID lights also? Does anyone have these and can they compare the two as to which is best?

Thanks for helping all, much appreciated. Rockon.gif

Titan lights are not HID and I think the ball pivot on them is cheesy. It was wobbling around on the ones I was playing with at the boat show.

The floods are what you want for the rear facing lights, and the spots are what you want for the forward facing lights. The spots will project out pretty far so if you just want them for around the dock or marina I'd get the floods for both directions. Not only will the HID lighting be about 3 times brighter but they will use about 1/3 the power of the halogen lighting.

Edited by 06vlx

I to, am taking delivery of my 09 VTX in mid April. I just left the dealer about 3 hours ago and they said Titan just went BK. Do you know anything about that? I am putting lights on my boat as well, and the dealer can't find any photos of the lights we ordered. If I get them I'll send them to you. Thumbup.gif

bleegeorge, which lights did you order? I'm trying to find some pricing on the LPA Illusion X (I assume these will fit the Illusion XS as well) lights for 2 flood and 2 spot. Thanks!

Lost Pro Audio.......email Jeremiah and he can help you out. He got back to me in a day and when I get a few more things sold I will be placing my order with him. Thumbup.gif

He explained everything in depth and was very helpful. I will be doing two Spots on the front and two floods in back.

[email protected]

WES

Edited by sprintdriver47
Lost Pro Audio.......email Jeremiah and he can help you out. He got back to me in a day and when I get a few more things sold I will be placing my order with him. Thumbup.gif

He explained everything in depth and was very helpful. I will be doing two Spots on the front and two floods in back.

[email protected]

WES

The LPA HID lights are BRIGHT!! Bought them last spring. I ended up going with only two, mounted them on the outside of the illusion X tower and spin them to face the back or front when needed. When i got them the wiring harness they had supplied was not correct. Luckily my dealer bought the same lights for his boat at the same time and he built me a harness. Check with LPA that they have fixed this for this year. The install is not too bad. Having only two lights I am going to change the wiring so one is wired to the 'front' light control and one to the 'back' control. When i want them both on i will turn the light control to 'both'. Good luck. they are great lights!

• 2 years later...

Has nobody moved on to high intensity LEDs by now? HID was super hot in mountain bike / moto circles 5-8 years ago, but now the real innovations in lighting there are with LEDs, which are so much more efficient than even the pretty efficient HIDs...

Has nobody moved on to high intensity LEDs by now? HID was super hot in mountain bike / moto circles 5-8 years ago, but now the real innovations in lighting there are with LEDs, which are so much more efficient than even the pretty efficient HIDs...

Yeah bakes has high power led tower lighting as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah bakes has high power led tower lighting as well.

Are you running your HID set you had on your Illusion on you new G3 or do you have a different set?

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2516

I went to these LED's, got them from Bakes, work really well at the dock, trailering in the dark, etc. they also do a great job when u need to wash up at night. I only put 2 on to try them. I thought if they work well I will add another 2. However now that i have used the I dont think I need to add anymore. they swivel nicely if you want one back and one forward. they also do not get that hot and are very compact and draw little power.

Are you running your HID set you had on your Illusion on you new G3 or do you have a different set?

Since I have them I will use the hid lights, I have the big ones as well and they don't make the big lights in led. I have 6 of them I'm gonna try to get them all on the tower this time.

well i got my 6 led lights and installed them tonight they work great however after about 5 min on one started to blink? so i removed the light to check the conection it looked great so i started to recheck the wiring to make sure the positive and ground were correct when i unpluged the light the other lights started to blink, any ideas what might be going on? i did not use a relay and wired it into the acc switch because it has a circut braker. any ideas?

well i got my 6 led lights and installed them tonight they work great however after about 5 min on one started to blink? so i removed the light to check the conection it looked great so i started to recheck the wiring to make sure the positive and ground were correct when i unpluged the light the other lights started to blink, any ideas what might be going on? i did not use a relay and wired it into the acc switch because it has a circut braker. any ideas?

Are you talking about tower lights or transom lights?

Edited by 06vlx

Check the correct amperage on the circuit breaker. Also, vision x has led light bars that are low profile and don't look like christmas ornaments.

No they look much worse :christmas: .

its only one light that blinks however when i disconected that one the other lights start to blink however they blink at different time ? curcuit breaker would be all the the light blink at the same time not one then a other light

so fixed the blinking light problem, charged the battery up and works great these lights are awsome why bright and stay cool to the touch! i would recomend them hands down.

these lights need 12volt or they do act up...

Edited by fedupracer