Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LED's need some info

Ndawg12

Ok, I posted here that had installed some LED's and needed to know how to hook them up to a factory toggle switch, I got that figured out. But now I want to change the LED's that are visible near the floor, just in the back main area. I bought 9 sets on ebay for like $2 a peice, they have 5 lights in each and are angled to cover 120 degrees. They work and look great if they are hidden Crazy.gif I used some Gorilla Glue to mount 2 in the bow above the grab handles on each side, 2 above my sub under the driver dash, and 2 above the cup holders in the main area. I tried gluing mounting screws to each one, gluing plastic L's on the ends, and zip ties. Neither of these worked or looks like...shloppy. I think the best option would be something flush mounted, I saw someone who mounted some flush round ones. I wondered if the light had a good spread. Anyways, I'm open to any and all options, please tell what, where, and an idea on price.

Thanks

Hard to figure out what you are talking about Dontknow.gif

can you post some pics of what you got and what you are doing? Any Leds that i have mounted have either had mounting holes for screws or a sticky back.

Hard to figure out what you are talking about Dontknow.gif

can you post some pics of what you got and what you are doing? Any Leds that i have mounted have either had mounting holes for screws or a sticky back.

+1... Your mounting options are going to depend on the size and shape of your lights and where you want to mont them. There will probably be lots of options, but you need to be more specific with what you are working with and what you want to accomplish. happy to help after that though.

I'm sorry, it's hard for me to explain. What I was saying is that I've tried a bunch of options all ready and they havent' worked or I did not think it looked like a clean enough install. I would take pics but the boat is at the dealer right now and may be there for a while. Since my original post, i believe I have found what i'm looking for. I need 3 or 4 flush mounted LED's for the cabin: 1 or 2 under the rear seat, 1 under port side seat, and 1 under starboard seat.

Super Bright Blue LED Bulkhead/Livewell light

LED Bulkhead / Livewell Lights - Recess Mount Product Number: 011 Series Operates 9-16 Volt DC Systems Rated @ 100,000 Hours of Service Life Requires 11/16" (.687) Hole Shock and Vibration Proof Cool to the Touch No Corrosion Rated for Underwater Use 2 LEDs in White 1.25" x 1.00

post-8316-1238460657_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure if your looking for more or different LED lights? Or wondering how to install the ones you bought.

If you looking for something different we have these http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=868 white lights that Malibu has used OEM since 06. Bright, dependable, and have a good spread. You can choose which housing you want to do, down facing or straight out. The housings hold the light and the housing is held on with two screws, clean look.

Hope this info helps you out

-Paul

I'm not sure if your looking for more or different LED lights? Or wondering how to install the ones you bought.

If you looking for something different we have these http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=868 white lights that Malibu has used OEM since 06. Bright, dependable, and have a good spread. You can choose which housing you want to do, down facing or straight out. The housings hold the light and the housing is held on with two screws, clean look.

-Paul

Paul, thanks for the info, I was actually looking at the housings you have available but I don't think they will fit what I've got. I acutally found the same lights that I have. I wonder if any one has a suggestion for a housing for these:

Specifications:

5 Super Bright LED Bulbs. The two outer set leds are at a 45 degree angle, the two mid set are a 60 degree, and the center led is 90 degree

Chrome Fixture. Width=2 5/8” (appr. 65mm), Length=5/8” (16mm), Height=3/8” (Appr.10mm)

22” Wire with 12v 4 pin male and female connectors

200,000 hour life (22 years)

Voltage range 12-14 volts D.C.

Draw: less than 26mA @ 12 volts!

Dimensions (WxLxH): 1 11/16" x 5/8" x 3/8".

post-8316-1238499913_thumb.jpg

Edited by nemire12

I have an install question for those of you that have done this. When putting LEDs in the vents, how did you get them in there? Did you drill a bunch of holes through the fiberglass in the lockers and put individual lights through the holes or were you able to disconnect the vent hose and put a large "pod" of LEDs in there and glue it to the fiberglass wall inside the vented area? What kind of LEDs did you use? The narrow beam or broad beam? How many LEDs?

I have an install question for those of you that have done this. When putting LEDs in the vents, how did you get them in there? Did you drill a bunch of holes through the fiberglass in the lockers and put individual lights through the holes or were you able to disconnect the vent hose and put a large "pod" of LEDs in there and glue it to the fiberglass wall inside the vented area? What kind of LEDs did you use? The narrow beam or broad beam? How many LEDs?

I removed the vent grills from outside and epoxied a 36 bulb cluster in each one.(6 by 6 red bulb clusters) Ran wire along the outside edge of vent tube and tied it in to the rear locker light wires. Don't know if they were considered narrow or wide beam but the stainless grill does a fine job of scattering the light anyway.

Nemire12,

Check out superbrightleds.com.

Once there, look in the accent lightiong, I think you will find what you are looking for....

very nice looks like mine also superbrightleds

post-6001-1238561180_thumb.jpg

post-6001-1238561155_thumb.jpg

post-6001-1238561166_thumb.jpg

Wow, I checked out that website, I wish I had heard of them 2 months ago. Any ways I can finish my set up for $40!! Thanks to all!!

pics required when done

Cheers.gif

I'll add a little fire to all the ice in the thread.

carpetsaver7001.jpg

There are led's in the bow to but I had the cover bunched up in the bow.

Edited by 06vlx
Wow, I checked out that website, I wish I had heard of them 2 months ago. Any ways I can finish my set up for $40!! Thanks to all!!

pics required when done

Cheers.gif

10-4 just got get her back from the dealer, getting completely reskinned Thumbup.gif under warranty Thumbup.gifThumbup.gif

martinarcher

carpetsaver7001.jpg

Thumbup.gifThumbup.gif Looks good. I ordered some RGB strips and a controller for the boat. I can't wait to get them installed.

carpetsaver7001.jpg

my boat's on fire

oh wait not mine

-Paul

Paul,

Am I correct in these are exactly the same?

Looking at your web site at LED lights (interior) "Same Waterproof design as under water lights". Unit of 4 leds = $17 + $4 for SS housing = $21 x 2 = 8 leds for $42 versus $180 for 1 set of 9 LEDS (with Malibu logo). Besides the grief of mounting 2 pieces (and 1 less led) are these exactly the same?

Thanks

Nemire12,

Once there, look in the accent lightiong, I think you will find what you are looking for....

Which units from SBL did you install?

Thanks,

Which units from SBL did you install?

Thanks,

I installed ALM CX6 accent lights and waterproof flexible light bars.

I tried to do a link, but I forgot how to do it.

Edited by jeffmx
  • 4 weeks later...

carpetsaver7001.jpg

Those lights look awesome. Do you mind telling me what model of lights you are using, where you bought them, how many you installed and how long it took to install.

Thanks!